T
Great avatar, vic.

GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by lvmiker
Modern medicine has greatly enhanced life expectancy and quality of life.

It has done no such thing, apart from immunizations. Pure water and an improved food supply is what is responsible for the bulk of our improved longevity.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

All rational people are compelled to accept the logical conclusion of a syllogistic argument when they cannot demonstrate error in its supporting propositions.

I think I can improve on that with a little tweaking.

All rational people are compelled to accept the logical conclusion of a syllogistic argument when they cannot persuade Hawkeye to admit error in his supporting propositions.

There. That works a little better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great avatar, vic.

Thank you, sir.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Modern education has resulted in an electorate that chose our president and congress.

mike r

Not so fast my friend. The Psalms were written about 1000 BC. That was ~ 3000 years ago.
Note Psalm 90:10, "three score and ten years you have and if by strength four score but it will be filled with toil and misery." (Paraphrase mine).
Personally, I believe a good part of the toil and misery we experience is that of the is the slow death due to the infirmities of older age. And particularly,say the last five to ten years of life.
Ever care for older people?
Yes, some diseases are now preventable and treatable but we live no longer. I heard a "scientist" on TV the other day extoll the coming advancements that will lead to much longer life spans. The arrogance. I believe God may have laughed.

IC B2

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
TAK, eat an organic banana chased by a glass of pure water next time you need anaesthsia.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
I,m not sure who was doing the census and statistical analysis in 1000 b.c. but they may be right. I do know for sure that at age 67 I would not be enjoying life as I do now w/out a number of medical interventions.YMMV.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

Modern education has resulted in an electorate that chose our president and congress.

mike r

Not so fast my friend. The Psalms were written about 1000 BC. That was ~ 3000 years ago.
Note Psalm 90:10, "three score and ten years you have and if by strength four score but it will be filled with toil and misery." (Paraphrase mine).
Personally, I believe a good part of the toil and misery we experience is that of the is the slow death due to the infirmities of older age. And particularly,say the last five to ten years of life.
Ever care for older people?
Yes, some diseases are now preventable and treatable but we live no longer. I heard a "scientist" on TV the other day extoll the coming advancements that will lead to much longer life spans. The arrogance. I believe God may have laughed.
Yep, seventy or eighty years is our normal lifespan, as the Psalm indicates. Where people get confused is in taking average lifespans as normal lifespans. Averages are skewed by infant mortality rates, which in primitive societies were and are very high. Raise folks out of primitive conditions (indoor plumbing, sanitation, hygiene, etc..) and childhood mortality goes way down.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You err. Since PVCs are abnormal, electrical activity in the heart which produces them must also be.

Amazing. Something you wrote is pretty much correct.

Electrical activity in the heart follows nerve pathways.

Some does, some doesn't. Care to detail for us what the actual pathway through the heart for electricity is in someone with a "normal" pathway?

Thus, for every example of a PVC, there were defective or abnormal pathways followed.

You need to clarify. In one breath your talk of actual special nerve pathways. Are the PVC's following such? Or, are they just going through heart tissue that is made for contraction, not conduction?

A pathway can be defective in permanent and non-permanent ways.

This is good. I await your wisdom.

A permanent way would be an anatomical defect or damage to tissues. An example of a non-permanent way a pathway can be defective would be due to the presence of caffeine.

So, you are referring to the hyper-excitability caused by the caffeine as a "pathway?" Interesting. Wrong, but interesting. The path the electrical impulse takes AFTER a PVC impulse is initiated is not normal, but it has nothing to do with the normal electrical conduction system of a person's heart. That's why it looks the way it does on an EKG.....but you knew that.

You seem to keep forgetting that you've stated that the faulty pathways CAUSE the PVCs. All the dancing in the world won't change that you did say that, and it's wrong.

Another would be an electrolyte deficiency in the blood, such as a deficiency in potassium, which brings us back to the beginning of this thread.

It still doesn't address the part where you say "damn, I was wrong."

Laffn'

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
Oh, and, just to make myself laugh:

-Hearts can have normal or abnormal conduction systems.

-ALL hearts, regardless of the conduction system, can throw PVC's.

-Therefore hearts with a NORMAL conduction system can have PVC's.
That, while true, doesn't negate in any respect the fact that PVCs are not examples of normal heart function, but rather abnormal.

Aaaah, but what YOU said was:

PVCs are a result of inefficient or improper transfer of electrical signals between nerve cells specializing in maintaining regularity of heartbeat. Your pathways are defective, so you want these signal transfers to operate as efficiently as possible for your defective pathways.

You admit my statement is true.

My (true)statement is in opposition with your quoted and highlighted statement. You agreed that someone with a normal electrical conduction system in their heart can throw a PVC.

That makes your blanket statement: "your pathways are defective" false, since we just agreed one can have PVC's without a defective conduction system.

Meethinks you need to take a logic 101 course.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by BWalker
One problem with choking a tent stove down is that the chimney creosotes up when burning coniferous softwoods.

Old wives' tale. "Rural" legend. Moisture content is what determines creosote deposition, not the specie of wood burned.

That is true. Flue gas temp is what determines creosote buildup, so a cooler fire will produce more. Burning softwoods however, has nothing to do with it.

Would that isn't dry causes creosote because turning the moisture in the wood to steam, markedly lowers flue gas temps.

This took me a minute. It is pretty damn funny though.

The sad thing is, TAK hates me 'cause I called him out when he tried pulling his "your a fat nurse" crap with me, so he simply cannot and will not answer the yes or no question I asked him.

It must kill him inside.

Laffn'

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
You seem to keep forgetting that you've stated that the faulty pathways CAUSE the PVCs.
Not only do I not forget, I explain the causal connection. And no, I will not do it for you again. Just reread my many posts on the subject.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My (true)statement is in opposition with your quoted and highlighted statement. You agreed that someone with a normal electrical conduction system in their heart can throw a PVC.

That makes your blanket statement: "your pathways are defective" false, since we just agreed one can have PVC's without a defective conduction system.

Meethinks you need to take a logic 101 course.

Care to point out where the logic is faulty?

Last edited by goalie; 08/23/14.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There's a subtly that you don't seem capable of comprehending, goalie. I don't believe I can help. All I can say is that it's a good thing you chose a practical, down to earth, type of career, regarding which there's lots of technical information to memorize, but not an excessive degree of mental versatility required.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There's a subtly that you don't seem capable of comprehending, goalie. I don't believe I can help. All I can say is that it's a good thing you chose a practical, down to earth, type of career, regarding which there's lots of technical information to memorize, but not an excessive degree of mental versatility required.

That is a really odd way of saying "No, I can't find anything wrong with your logic, I must have been wrong."

FWIW, if you think doing the stuff I do doesn't require the ability to think quick while under stress, you are (amazingly) more of an idiot than even this thread has made you out to be.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Oh, and, just to make myself laugh:

-Hearts can have normal or abnormal conduction systems.

-ALL hearts, regardless of the conduction system, can throw PVC's.

-Therefore hearts with a NORMAL conduction system can have PVC's.
That, while true, doesn't negate in any respect the fact that PVCs are not examples of normal heart function, but rather abnormal.

Aaaah, but what YOU said was:

PVCs are a result of inefficient or improper transfer of electrical signals between nerve cells specializing in maintaining regularity of heartbeat. Your pathways are defective, so you want these signal transfers to operate as efficiently as possible for your defective pathways.

That makes your blanket statement: "your pathways are defective" false, since we just agreed one can have PVC's with a normal electrical conduction system.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

That is a really odd way of saying "No, I can't find anything wrong with your logic, I must have been wrong."

FWIW, if you think doing the stuff I do doesn't require the ability to think quick while under stress, you are (amazingly) more of an idiot than even this thread has made you out to be.
Don't worry, goalie. The world needs the Gammas, too, to borrow from Huxley.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
TAK, eat an organic banana chased by a glass of piss next time you need anaesthsia.

mike r

Fixed it for ya...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
...it's a good thing you chose a practical, down to earth, type of career, regarding which there's lots of technical information to memorize, but not an excessive degree of mental versatility required.

laffin'

That's about as untrue and ill-informed as it could possibly be.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nothing to worry about folks,the patient died yesterday waiting for hawk to comprehend what was posted. grin
The funeral will be announced at a later date. laugh

Page 23 of 31 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 30 31

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (007FJ, 257_X_50, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 257man, 58 invisible), 2,288 guests, and 1,207 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,643
Posts18,455,374
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.