Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9120086 08/23/14
A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Hi folks, I'm buying my very first aR and wanted some feedback on the LMT CQBPS-16 unit. I know it's probably more than I need but I'm a do it once kinda guy. I'm not shooting competition nor plan on firing 5000 rounds a year out of it. Just looking for a top tier unit that will last and hold resale for a long time. If there are any others you know and can help I thank you in advance.

GB1

68W Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't see the point in paying so much extra for a piston driven system on an AR platform. IMO, the direct impingement system isn't broken and therefore doesn't need to be fixed.

If you want top tier that's great. LMT has a good reputation for reliability and durability but I've never handled any of their gear. If you are willing to spend that kind of money your options are wide open. If it were me I'd spend much less than that on the rifle and use the extra cash for the exact optic I wanted for the rifle.

It would be a shot in the dark to suggest an alternative without knowing more of what kinds of things you want to do with your AR. There is a configuration for every niche of shooting, some are good at covering many of them. Give us more on what applications you realistically see yourself using the AR for and you'll get a myriad of worthwhile suggestions of rifle, accessory, and optic configurations. Given your assumed budget based on the msrp of the aforementioned rifle you will get some fun suggestions.

I have an idea of the kind of rifle/optic I'd have with a $2300 budget but I'm not you.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must like men, undergo the fatigues of supporting it." Thomas Paine
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Its a good one. Its also heavy and has the unnecessary piston system which brings in proprietary parts and limited options. If you want a buy once, cry once factory AR, look at rifles from KAC, JP, and Noveske.

Last edited by CBMJR; 08/23/14.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If I wanted to spend a bunch of money on an AR that would "hold it's value" I'd start and end with Noveske.
Expensive-Yes
Quality-Yes
Resale-Yes. They do a great job with their marketing and folks get very fanboyish about them.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd probably throw in a Daniel Defense MK12 - 18" CHF stainless (and nitrided) barrel, good trigger, mil-spec stuff, about the same price as a Noveske.

I'm likewise skeptical that piston is much better than DI.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That'd be another one. After the Vickers video every hillbilly that know about youtube loves DD.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oops, yes, I forgot about DD. They would also be a great rifle.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
The LMT cqb feels great in my hand followed by the DD MK12. I have held the Noveske or the others mentioned above. Are the Noveske's in the weight bracket as these two? I prefer lighter over heavy. Again, not looking to fire this thing every day nor competition shoot. But want a buy it once top tier, hold its value down the road setup. Im short with a small build if that helps with suggestions. And I don't mind spending 2K or less. Thx guys.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What do you think that type of piston will do for you that a standard set up won't?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
No idea. The gun feel great in hand. Do they make it without piston in same model?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by angv350
No idea. The gun feel great in hand. Do they make it without piston in same model?

Yep.

http://www.lmtstore.com/complete-we...s-weapons/cqb-mrp-defender-model-16.html

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
So which is the nicer unit between the DD MK-12 or this one?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those are two completely different ideas. If you just want to buy an expensive AR to shoot every so often and then sell later, flip a coin and just buy it.

But if you've got no idea what you're getting into and you're gonna actually care what you get, go back and read the dozen or so other "which AR should I buy" threads that have been started here in the not so distant past.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
As stated they are 2 different variants. Looking at the specs vs msrp it would seem the DD MK12 would give you more bang for the buck, but LMT is far from being substandard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by angv350

Yes. I have the gas version, it's a great rifle.

Last edited by MasterBlaster; 08/23/14.
A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Is the piston system not good?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A piston will dissipate heat from full auto fire a bit better, is better if using a suppressor, and best I can recall more reliable with a short barrel. I can only see one of those as a possible for you so if none of the 3 are happening then you are adding weight/complexity/proprietary parts in to a tried and true rifle without gaining anything in return.

A
angv350 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
A
Thx that's helps a lot.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by sherp
A piston will dissipate heat from full auto fire a bit better, is better if using a suppressor, and best I can recall more reliable with a short barrel. I can only see one of those as a possible for you so if none of the 3 are happening then you are adding weight/complexity/proprietary parts in to a tried and true rifle without gaining anything in return.

You are also adding expense. Gas tube and a gas block are cheap. Piston, not so much.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Originally Posted by sherp

You are also adding expense. Gas tube and a gas block are cheap. Piston, not so much.

Big time! $250 more for the LMT piston than the standard model with the same features.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

358 members (264mag, 16penny, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 222ND, 17CalFan, 44 invisible), 2,823 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,277
Posts18,467,599
Members73,927
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.