Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
S
Just purchased a really nice older Remington 300 RUM rifle with stainless action.
Was wondering if a standard Long action Stock will work, for instance Bell & Carlson or McMillan.

Not a big fan of the 300 RUM, but wanted to hear from you what you might consider building on this frame. I was thinking a long throated .264 or .257 Weatherby or even a 6.5 Weatherby Magnum.

GB1

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Same same... Just barrel contour changes with the mags...

If your going to go down to standard mag you may want consider tripping the RUM as a whole and just buy a used standard SS mag... You will get your mag and follower and proper feed rails.

W

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If forced to suffer a L/A .532",I'd go only 7mmRemmieMag or 338Ultra.

For Utility,the 7mm has no equal.

For a more Niche Rifle,a 338Ultra set up to kiss Scenar Smooches,would deliver the Mail................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
How about a 7mm-338 RUM, or a 30-338 RUM?
Another option is a 300 or 7mm rum with reamer built to your max COL and preferred bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm never in a hurry to paint myself in a corner and it's ALL about the bullet.

The 7mmRemmie shines in a 700 L/A,due it's case length and the 162 rings every bell there is and with aplomb.

I'd rather have the shorter 338ultra as a parent,to bolster nice things via 250 Skinner and would go increased COAL DBM o a Niche Rifle,to connect them dots.

Pass the ADL 7mmRemmie for EXTREME Utility..................

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Originally Posted by Sakohunter264
Just purchased a really nice older Remington 300 RUM rifle with stainless action.
Was wondering if a standard Long action Stock will work, for instance Bell & Carlson or McMillan.

Not a big fan of the 300 RUM, but wanted to hear from you what you might consider building on this frame. I was thinking a long throated .264 or .257 Weatherby or even a 6.5 Weatherby Magnum.

You can put a big barrel on it to mitigate recoil, and with the increased stiffness, you won't have any probs making the bullets go where you want. I found this one sitting in a rack at Kwethluk Corporation Store. Had sat there so long the felt lining touching the barrel had polished the bead-blasted finish to a fine shine = long time. Obviously no longer stock.

The advice given is perfectly spot on. Greg Tannel told me to send him three dummy shells with my bullets of choice seated where I wanted it. He chambered the rifle accordingly. I love this rig.
[Linked Image]
and
[Linked Image]
I think a .264 would be very cool.

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Better living through chemistry!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm never in a hurry to paint myself in a corner and it's ALL about the bullet.

The 7mmRemmie shines in a 700 L/A,due it's case length and the 162 rings every bell there is and with aplomb.

Pass the ADL 7mmRemmie for EXTREME Utility..................

I have one of those EXTREME Utility rifles......

1987 ADL/FS 7 Remmie..factory installed Brown Precision stock.......an ounce or two over 8lbs with 4.5-14 Leupy on top. It's the one I use the most.
Custom Pre'64's and 280AI's have stayed home while this one gets the nod.....and it shoots.
[Linked Image]

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Have a few myself and THE Grail remains a Montucky 7 Whizzum.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hard to believe the Montana 7 WSM didn't fly as much as you pimp it. And yes, I'm kicking myself for not buying three or four of them...

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Me too..................

[Linked Image]

IC B3

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Kusko, remember that the R.U.M. mag. follower is unique. To get a normal belted job to work, you need to order the correct follower from Remington customer support. They have about ten different ones, so try not to tick off the techie helping you over the phone. Tell them exactly which belted mag you are going to change your old R.U.M. over to. And get their part # and then write it down. You'll know then if they ship the correct one or not.

My changed over 300 win mags tried to go down one side of my 338 R.U.M.'s magazine, until I ordered the correct follower.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I bought a 300 RUM I rebuilt it and now I have a 338 Rum. Much happy now.

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by INDYBUSTER
Kusko, remember that the R.U.M. mag. follower is unique. To get a normal belted job to work, you need to order the correct follower from Remington customer support. They have about ten different ones, so try not to tick off the techie helping you over the phone. Tell them exactly which belted mag you are going to change your old R.U.M. over to. And get their part # and then write it down. You'll know then if they ship the correct one or not.

My changed over 300 win mags tried to go down one side of my 338 R.U.M.'s magazine, until I ordered the correct follower.

Wow..............

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by INDYBUSTER

Wow..............

I've had 700 RUMs in 7, 300 and 338 here, they ALL fed 7 Rem and 300 Win like they were made for it.

Although if I did convert a RUM action to standard belted mag I'd probably swap out the box for one without the windows....

"after the bullet leaves the barrel it doesn't care what headstamp was on the case"
"The 221 Fireball is what the Hornet could have been had it stayed in school"
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Pot holes don't help belts....................(grin)

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
Rembo, my 338 RUM is a BDL model. My converted 300 Win. Mags. do try to go down one side of the mag box. The Rem Techie knew all about this, and he quickly set me up with the correct follower. My BDL is probably one of the later ones, and I guarantee that this problem exists. I don't think there's even a part # on the follower. My new part # was on the plastic envelope it came in.

The difference is night and day. But my goal is to make this up as a .500 cal. based on the 404 Jeffery, with a belt swaged into it, ala the 500 Wyo. Exp. I was waiting patiently for Hornady to pull some basic brass out of their next run, but now I'm told that I have to purchase finished 404 Jeff. virgin brass. This new wildcat will be a belted rimless version of the 500 Kodiak. (2.3 inch long case)and the .500 dia. bullet. CH4D says that they can make my belt forming dies, as soon as I get some cases to them, along with a print. So I'm hanging on to my RUM follower, as its going right back into my L.H. BDL, next year.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Me too..................

[Linked Image]

I hate you... LOL. That Goldmember rifle has to be the ugliest thing I've ever seen, and I have a number of purple McSwirleys.... Kudos for having the gravitas to pull it off...

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by KDK
Kudos for having the gravitas to pull it off...

Maybe YOU could be the next ball-sack holder.

KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I always wondered why people tend to jump on your posts, even when you are making sense. Why yah gotta be a dick all the time? Did you have your sense of humor surgically removed?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by KDK
Kudos for having the gravitas to pull it off...

Maybe YOU could be the next ball-sack holder.

SquatToPee,

Don't be upset that you can't shoot a Montana. Simply keep in mind the Law Of Averages and the fact that you are amazingly shy of average.

Laughing!.....................

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

77 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 7 invisible), 1,601 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.