-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#9122822 08/24/14
OP Offline
I've been researching AR pistols. I love the operation platform of the AR. But im not sure the .556 is the best cartridge to fuel it with in my situation. In my perfect world I could build a .40 S&W on a AR frame with a 10" barrel and it wouldn't be classified as a SBR.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
IMO, the AR platform is a poor choice for a pistol. Especially when you consider pistol calibers. They are popular because people can put a short barrel on an AR and avoid going the NFA route (or have a pistol receiver for their SBR when traveling to and from shooting). They are becoming even more popular now with the sig arm brace. A suppressed SBR would be fun and somewhat practical. I just can't think of a void I have that a AR pistol would fit.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have not seen many pistols in that format.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by CBMJR
I just can't think of a void I have that a AR pistol would fit.

Especially in a pistol caliber.

Last edited by antelope_sniper; 08/24/14.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
If I want a 40 smith, I'd buy a handgun. Not butcher an AR into a make believe bulky one.

I can see some uses, depending on ones job or future thoughts, of a pistol caliber carbine, but not a pistol off an AR for that.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have fired a Colt 635(9mm SMG) and a 14.5" 5.56mm with pencil barrel AR carbine(same N type butts and basic external layout, only major difference was caliber and internals to get there) I perceived more muzzle flip from the 9mm version than the 5.56(obviously nothing major from either, but more from the 9mm never the less), although the 5.56 was much louder.

9mm is also supposed to be somewhat harder on certain AR parts than 5.56 guns. Colt 9mm hammer pins are stainless instead of using their standard pin from the 5.56 guns as an example. I would assume any of those traits could be enhanced by way of the .40(although Olympic Arms uppers are typically described as "plug & play") but may be some points want to research while making your decision.

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
The Sig brace allows you to skip the $200 tax on the SBR lower and still have a six-inch barrel and a can. 9mm 147gr XTP's out of such a rig would make the ULTIMATE house/car gun

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I was never overly impressed with an AR pistol i always figured they were just noise makers, and have no real purpose.

That changed yesterday. I was at our local range and there was 5 guys and a bunch of AR type rifles and pistols. Those guys were ringing 2 yard steel with 10 inch barreled AR pistols. I had to give them props.

I wouldn't mond having one with a 10-12 inch barrel and one of those Sig arm braces

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by gitem_12
I was never overly impressed with an AR pistol i always figured they were just noise makers, and have no real purpose.

That changed yesterday. I was at our local range and there was 5 guys and a bunch of AR type rifles and pistols. Those guys were ringing 2 yard steel with 10 inch barreled AR pistols. I had to give them props.

I wouldn't mond having one with a 10-12 inch barrel and one of those Sig arm braces

I used to think they were silly before I had a chance to use on on a Roger's Range. Stages that I struggled to hit 75% of the plates were easily cleaned with the pistol carbine. Four points of contact make like a LOT simpler.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
AR 'pistols' are a joke, and nothing more.

Sam......

IC B3

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
In my state (Alabama) one can hunt turkey with any centerfire mushrooming ammo from a pistol. Now, and AR pistol shooting a 223 can knock out a turkey at 100 yards. Can't do that with a shotgun.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Take_a_knee
Originally Posted by gitem_12

I used to think they were silly before I had a chance to use on on a Roger's Range. Stages that I struggled to hit 75% of the plates were easily cleaned with the pistol carbine. Four points of contact make like a LOT simpler.

I bet They probably wouldn't make a bad house gun if they were set up properly

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
40 carbines have a history of sucking major ass.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dixie_Dude
In my state (Alabama) one can hunt turkey with any centerfire mushrooming ammo from a pistol. Now, and AR pistol shooting a 223 can knock out a turkey at 100 yards. Can't do that with a shotgun.

Yeah, but where is the fun/challenge in that?

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by deflave
40 carbines have a history of sucking major ass.

Travis

If you're replying to me, I wasn't thinking a .40 carbine. I was thinking 5.56 in a handgun, specifically with that sig arm brace on it

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
No. Just stating in general that the .40 carbines have had lots of trouble.

I know RR is making one now, but I have no idea if it's worry free or not.

Either way, make my AR anything a 5.56.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gotcha. Yea i'm typically a 5.56 guy. A buddy has one in 6.8 that he built that is lots of fun, but no practical use to
Me. A .40 carbine of any flavor does'n interests me, but to each there own

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I spent a lot of time with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR and wouldn't want to again without a can.

With a can I'd do an 11.5" house gun as an SBR or with the Sig brace.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I spent a lot of time with an 11.5" 5.56 SBR and wouldn't want to again without a can.

With a can I'd do an 11.5" house gun as an SBR or with the Sig brace.

Yea, the can would definitey be a neccesity

OP Offline
I've shot a sig AR pistol in.556. They're to loud and the muzzle flash in 7 inch will sunburn you in 30 rounds. Looking for an alternative.

9mm or.30 blackout seems to be it. An AR pistol properly accessorized (EO Tech & a light) in the right cal. 556 isn't it for my application. I have a halo site mounted on a ruger 44 carbine and its a deer killing machine.

Looking for the 100 yard PDW.

Thanks for the opinions.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1234, 1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 60 invisible), 2,612 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,314
Posts18,468,326
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.