Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I am returning to target shooting after a 30 year hiatus and was wondering if Tenex and R-50 still occupy the top of the heap? BTW: I paid about $5 per box back then. What say you?

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Eley is always go to go, RWS, and Lapua are others, really depends on what your 22 likes best. Might try SK and Wolf cheaper as often about as good. At least target ammo can be found, but at a price..

C
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
C
I've only recently starting dabblin in upper tier ammo for a 54 and a depressing constant seems to be the more expensive ammo just shoots better..
Eley tenex and match have shot the best, but at a hellacious price.

Definitely try wolf and sk as they do very well for the $$..

Haven't tried any of the top end lapua but my gun did not like the center X.

A recent surprise was the Norma TAC did pretty well for me. Might just be my go to 54 ammo. But certainly not as good as the top shelf..

She never made it past the bedroom door, what was she aiming for...?
She's gone shootin..
C
C
If I want to win or be in the running, I shoot Eley Match or Tenex out of my 40-X. My Kimber 82-G shoots Wolf Match Extra (made by Lapua) just as well, though. Your gun will tell you what it likes.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Be prepared to pay a wee bit more than $5.00 a box.

SC

Semper Fi
IC B2

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
If you check the rimfire benchrest sights you should be able to find equipment lists. The lists will include the ammo used. Then you can see what the top shooters are using.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I bought several boxes to test in my 40 x and it really seemed like price and accuracy go hand in hand. As I shot progressively more expensive ammo groups got equally smaller. I think it was tenex shot the best..

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
As Certifiable wrote, "Norma TAC did pretty well for me......" Shoot an old BSA Model 12 martini that I've tried many a brand/type of target 22 LR ammo in. Use this peep sighted BSA in a 50 yd competition at range I'm a member with very decent results. The Norma TAC has been just as consistent for accuracy for me as about any other much more pricy match grade ammo.

Of course, what shoots well in one rifle may not shoot as well in another rifle and etc. One of my competitors in the 50 yd competition gave me a couple boxes of Eley's most expensive Match ammo. A friend of his had given it to him after he'd tried it in his target rifle with unsatisfactory results. Guy tried it in his $1500 Anschulz target rifle and he wasn't satisfied with the accuracy in his rifle. I had same results in my BSA model 12....the Norma TAC shot better for me than the Eley.

E
EWY Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
When I was shooting benchrest it was a regular practice to try different lots of the rifle's prefered ammo and then by a case of the best shooting lot.

Ernie

George Washington - �Labour to keep alive in your breast that little spark of celestial fire,�conscience.�

God save the Republic
O
O
As stated above you need to test different lots of ammo before you commit to buying
Cases of ammo. I shoot eley red box, black box, Lapua and RWS In no particular order
Depending on what shoots best. Then buy it in bulk if possible. Get ready to pay a lot
More than $5.00 a box. Every gun is different and at the competitive level you will have to be willing to shell out money to find the best for your rifle.

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

259 members (348srfun, 300_savage, 338reddog, 1_deuce, 260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 30 invisible), 2,281 guests, and 1,124 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,468
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.