Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I am thinking of getting one built from the ground up for shooting 77smk's or heavier.

1)Please talk me out of it because I have too many chamberings already! HA!

I have always been a little confused about the 22-250 action. Do you do a build on a long action? It is too long for a short action... right?

Does Remington make and sell at Brownells a 22-250 action?

What twist rate? I was reading on other forums that 1/8 is just right. But... a 1/7 works very well in a nato-556 for heavy bullets. Does the higher velocity in the 22-250 make the 1/7 a no go for some reason?

AND............

Do you get the chamber and bore chromed to lengthen throat life? Black nitride these days? Or just shoot it to death? Who does the chrome job these days?

What do y'all used your 22-250 fer?

Favorite loads and war stories... I'd like to hear them.

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Just buy a new Savage Target action & call it good...

Screw your barrel & caliber of choice on it...

77 gr boolits....I'd do an 8 twist 6BR

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

H
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
H
1. Short action, swap out the magazine box/follower to a standard 2.8" short action.

2. I'm using a 1:8 Rock Creek for 75gn A-max's. The little bugger was pretty impressive in the wind yesterday vs. my 270Win/140TSX load and 2 pard's 300Win/168TTSX loads.

3. I'm running a naked bore, contemplating UBC, haven't decided yet.

4. Coyotes, steel, rocks, and a deer.

5. Mine likes WW760 and Ramshot Hunter for top velocity and accuracy. ~3300fps via 24" bbld.

I can walk on water.......................but I do stagger a bit on alcohol.
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Thanks...
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

I would like a magazine though...

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mr. White,

Short action and 8" twist.

75gr Gay-Max and RL 15 go together like cocaine and strippers.

I builted mine on a Vanguard. Douglas #3 finished @ 22" I believe. It originally had a floorplate but I saw the Howa conversions in my local shop and figured WTH? Didn't do anything regarding COL, but it sure feeds like a mofo with that single stack setup.

[Linked Image]

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Robert_White
Thanks...
http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/actions/target/

I would like a magazine though...

And a rifle...

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I am thinking of getting one built from the ground up for shooting 77smk's or heavier.

1)Please talk me out of it because I have too many chamberings already! HA!

I have always been a little confused about the 22-250 action. Do you do a build on a long action? It is too long for a short action... right?

Does Remington make and sell at Brownells a 22-250 action?

What twist rate? I was reading on other forums that 1/8 is just right. But... a 1/7 works very well in a nato-556 for heavy bullets. Does the higher velocity in the 22-250 make the 1/7 a no go for some reason?

AND............

Do you get the chamber and bore chromed to lengthen throat life? Black nitride these days? Or just shoot it to death? Who does the chrome job these days?

What do y'all used your 22-250 fer?

Favorite loads and war stories... I'd like to hear them.

Well, a few answers anyway.

There is no special .22-250 length Rem 700, they use a standard .308 length action. .308 brass is longer than .22-250 brass.

I'd suggest seating one of those 77 grain SMKs as close to the middle of its bearing surface as you can eyeball so that you have the most flexibility to go longer or shorter, then have your gunsmith specify a reamer that causes that OAL to just tap the rifling. This gives the most flexibility in seating depth.

I'd think hard about going with .22-250 AI, not for the velocity increase, but because ye olde .22-250 has a lot of taper and a lot of case stretch. Should save you some trimming.

Twist ... I'd call Sierra and tell them you're waffling on twist. A 1:9 twist will usually stabilize the 75 grain AMAX at .22-250 AI velocity. I would think a 1:8" would be fast enough but ... better to get it from them.

The down side to too much twist can be pressure. Also, some bullet jackets just can't handle the additional stress.

Think hard about how many lands and grooves you want. 3 L&G is popular but when they start to get rough, the jackets on VLDs seem to fail more quickly. Personally I'd look at 5 groove.

I wouldn't chrome it. I think that's a "thing" that was abandoned long ago.

Personally, I'd just shoot it. Don't overheat it. If you're like me, by the time you wear it out, your interest will have moved to something else new and shiny and it'll be time to rebarrel to that instead.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I rebarreled my 22-250ai 1in 8 to a saami 1in8. Both 23", shot from 40 gr vmax to 75 amax, with 53s, 62s, and 55s to boot with the ai. ai shot all well, thus far saami shoots 62s and 75s with aplomb at same velocity as the ai. Most versatile gun I've ever had. Mine is a Rem 600.

MAGA
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Is that the one you built on the Mohawk?

Mr. White,

Be sure you build a balanced and not too heavy rig as you'll find the 8 twist/22-250 combo is a deer slaying machine with the TSX and TTSX's.

Travis

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No it's not. Stop being retarded.

fast twist 22-250s are perfection.

MAGA
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Sorry. I thought it was a Mohawk.

Travis

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Hey Y'all!

Thanks a million for all the feedback.

Just checked Brownells... they have rem 700 short action, actions for $499, (backorder)

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Deflave...

What barrell profile do you suggest for well balanced? What is yours???

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Mine's a 3 with about an inch of shank. It was supposed to be a 2, not sure what happened on that one...

When I re-tube it will be a 2.

Travis

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I put one on a Ruger Short Action, by taking the 243 barrel off of it..pulled a 223 Pac Nor Barrel with a one in 7 twist off another Ruger I was selling since some one wanted the action real bad...had it rechambered to the 22.250...

Barrel contour was "heavy magnum" so it is the diameter of what usually is a 458 Mag...

playing with a bunch of powders for testing, I found the fastest velocity with the best accuracy for 80 grain A Maxes, and Sierra Match bullets turned out to be IMR 4064 and IMR 4895... RL 15 and AR Comp both get real honorable mentions...

They run 80 grainers at 3350 fps with a 24 inch barrel... and the 75 grainers get boosted to 3400 fps...

bullets are seated to magazine length, which it being originally a 243 is longer than the Ruger 22.250 magazine....

quite a capable little toy, that's for sure..

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Hey Y'all!

Thanks a million for all the feedback.

Just checked Brownells... they have rem 700 short action, actions for $499, (backorder)

Lots and lots of donors out there for more cheaper.

Hell... I got a vintage one I'm thinking of tripping if you're interested.

Travis

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
I put one on a Ruger Short Action, by taking the 243 barrel off of it..pulled a 223 Pac Nor Barrel with a one in 7 twist off another Ruger I was selling since some one wanted the action real bad...had it rechambered to the 22.250...

Barrel contour was "heavy magnum" so it is the diameter of what usually is a 458 Mag...

playing with a bunch of powders for testing, I found the fastest velocity with the best accuracy for 80 grain A Maxes, and Sierra Match bullets turned out to be IMR 4064 and IMR 4895... RL 15 and AR Comp both get real honorable mentions...

They run 80 grainers at 3350 fps with a 24 inch barrel... and the 75 grainers get boosted to 3400 fps...

bullets are seated to magazine length, which it being originally a 243 is longer than the Ruger 22.250 magazine....

quite a capable little toy, that's for sure..

I am wondering... if I build from scratch if a 308 mag might be the way to go????

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

I am wondering... if I build from scratch if a 308 mag might be the way to go????

Any action built for a .308 based cartridge should be fine.

Travis

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I'd build a 700 MR...

1-8", 22-23" tube, shooting 75's or 80's...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Hey,

Iff'en Ingwe or Trav say that is the way to go...

then that's the way to go...

I'm just a poor Oregon kid swimmin in their wake...trying to keep up..

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

548 members (11point, 160user, 10ring1, 219 Wasp, 222Sako, 1lessdog, 70 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,334
Posts18,468,644
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.