Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
To me, it was an amazing feat to get a handicapped, wheelchair bound hunter within shooting range of such a trophy goat. Those animals don't get that big and old being dumb. And they're usually surrounded by a herd of does, many very alert eyes constantly looking for danger.

This outfitter is one of the best guides I've hunted with. And a great guy, easy going, no impatience, seems to love his work. And, he produces...

That's why I'm a repeat client.

DF

GB1

J
Joe Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Nice antelope Dirtfarmer. Too bad the big one got away but, that will give you something to look forward to for next year. smile

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
And he gets to breed those does for another season. He had all the girls.

The one I shot was bedded up all by himself. He stood up, walked a few yards and died. Guess the better buck won the draw.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Congrats- that is a really nice looking buck. Nothing more fun than hunting antelopes- good stuff!!

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Nice goat. Congratulations.

Last edited by Scotty; 08/31/14.
IC B2

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I was amazed by the guide, spotting that goat all bedded up at around 5-600 yds from the highway at the foot of a ridge. We drove into the pasture above him, stalked 250 yards to position ourselves right above him. The guide had us exactly even with him. As we eased forward, we could see him bedded down. I crept forward, rifle ready and as he got up, stretched and started walking, I shot him offhand at 80 yds, bang, flop.

I asked the guide how he spotted that goat, driving down the highway. He said he was looking for black horn tips and saw this goat out there in the grass, bedded down all by himself.

Pretty amazing eyes, pretty amazing stalking strategy and sense of position. Wasn't his first rodeo, obviously...

He and his wife also guide elk and deer hunts as well as exotic species in AZ and NM. Great folks.

My hunting bud and I took Southeast Texas Nilgai burgers and grilled them for the camp the night before. Everyone seemed to enjoy them and we all had a great time.

A couple of year before, I met the former Philippine Minister of Agriculture. I knew some folks he knew in New York and we had a great visit. I still email him from time to time and will send him a photo of this goat.

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 08/31/14.
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
SO, I guess that shoulder is all healed up?

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, good enough to shoot about what I want to.

Haven't yet, but believe I could handle the .375 H&H. I'm 7 mo post op rotator cuff with Mumford and biceps tendon anchor. My PT buddies tell me it's a 12-18 mo. deal and I'm on track at 7 mo.

Thanks for asking.

DF

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Nice goat there DF. I hope the one you missed is bigger and you get him next year. Have they had rains in that area to get them in shape for this winter?

BTW, how's the retina doing?

Last edited by eyeball; 08/31/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Yeah, rain.

I was expecting drought, having read the reports. The goats were scattered due to rains, everything being green and less draw to a few watering holes. And, in some places the grass was tall, making it harder to spot the goats. Where we hunted it wasn't that bad.

DF

IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by eyeball

Sounds like I'm falling apart. Growing old isn't for sissies.

Macular hole closed following vitrectomy in April. Macula not back to par, but that can take a while. At least my shooting eye is 20/20.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My knowledge about all that is sketchy. Wyoming is quite a drive. My bud and I like to bring back our meat and don't want to mess with the airlines. NM is closer.

DF

Dry ice is your friend. Brought a buffler back to Georgia from Wyoming a couple years ago in 4 150 quart coolers on my truck. The meat was frozen already but I covered the packages in towels and dry ice. Was still frozen when I got home.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by eyeball

Sounds like I'm falling apart. Growing old isn't for sissies.

Macular hole closed following vitrectomy in April. Macula not back to par, but that can take a while. At least my shooting eye is 20/20.

DF

I was sure sorry to hear of that and hope it settles down ok. Please let me know how it goes, DF. It couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Praying it will be ok.

Last edited by eyeball; 08/31/14.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

DF, I didn't know you had a RC repair and a vitrectomy. Sorry to hear that. You are very right about having to be tough to grow older. As you well know there are only so many parts that can be removed, repaired, or "tuned up."

The inevitable is inexorable,..and that's if all is going well. shocked

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
But, I'm a tough ole fart, repairs and breakdowns notwithstanding.... cool

DF

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by badger
My knowledge about all that is sketchy. Wyoming is quite a drive. My bud and I like to bring back our meat and don't want to mess with the airlines. NM is closer.

DF

Dry ice is your friend. Brought a buffler back to Georgia from Wyoming a couple years ago in 4 150 quart coolers on my truck. The meat was frozen already but I covered the packages in towels and dry ice. Was still frozen when I got home.

Once the meat is chilled, it doesn't take much added ice to make the trip. We drain the water and add some ice maybe once. Meat will last a couple of days, maybe longer.

Once frozen, then dry ice would be ideal. We don't have the facilities or time to freeze it.

DF

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice!

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
This discussion about health stuff reminds me of a herd of steers out in the pasture.

Seems all they could talk about was their surgery... shocked

DF

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Ha.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
For those interested in the .240, here is a link to a thread some were following. Lots of .240 bullet info.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8315233/8

It seems to me the .240 is a good choice for pronghorns.

DF

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (10gaugemag, 163bc, 10Glocks, 160user, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,470 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,233
Posts18,466,654
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.