Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
Let me try this ...

Just for giggles I'd measure the protrusion of the firing pin. Specs vary but .060" is a good number.

You never know til you know.

How's that?

Is it clueless enough?

EASILY an A+ for Cluelessness.

Headspace.

Hint..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had that problem. A trip to the gunsmith corrected it. The firing pin spring was worn out. That spring ignited enough rounds to wear out three barrels so I got my monies worth. You may have a bad one from the factory.

As far as the primers go: When I was looking for the most accurate load for my .223 I started with CCI BR-4. Once I had it I loaded of ten of each of several company's primers. Everyone of the Winchester primers pierced. None of the others did.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by fish head
Let me try this ...

Just for giggles I'd measure the protrusion of the firing pin. Specs vary but .060" is a good number.

You never know til you know.

How's that?

Is it clueless enough?

EASILY an A+ for Cluelessness.

Headspace.

Hint..............

Top of the morning to you and thank you for giving me an A+.

I just figgered if you're going to start at the start you might want to start with the mechanism that makes it go bang. It's an easy enough possibility to eliminate albeit not the only or the most likely.

I guess dragging out the calipers and taking a simple measurement requires a lot of extraneous and wasted effort.

That's OK though. I just upped my post count by one more. grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kudos on the quantity.

Perhaps consider quality in lieu of such things?

Damned few can connect both quality and quantity dots.

As an aside,I'm fairly certain a casual gawk of the pin,will yield all and it'd assuredly take a damn long one,to circumvent headspace woe...then it might just get ugly after they's formed.

Just saying.

Good talk!...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
+ 1

grin

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I would be careful with the newer brass cup Win primers in your Garrand, I know that they are not advised in AR style semi autos because they can cause a slam fire.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Interesting thread. I happen to have some brand new norma 243 brass here and just checked them via my rcbs dedicated hs micrometer. They are .005-.006 undersized right out of the box.
I happen to have 2 rifles which will misfire with Win primers but NEVER misfire with federal. One is an older marlin 3030, the other is cva scout rifle in 708 that has a good amount of headspace built into the chamber. Both give me misfire with copper colored win primers...the wlr's.
Just put a note on my box of norma.....use only fed 210 primers....I bet everyone pops the way it should. Geez with mild loads I might be able to go a long long time with just a lee collet die...lol.

Last edited by kraky111; 08/25/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Headspace control outta the gate,is the first greatest favor you can do brass and reliability.

Hint.................

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Freddy

I hear what your saying about the WW brass primers. I think shooters were skeptical when the stainless steel primers were changed to brass. Probably an unfounded reason. All of the GI M2 Ball and M2 AP I have fired is brass primed. All the current HXP Greek ammo being brought in by the CMP is also brass primed. If the new brass primers were that soft then 60K plus PSI factory loads would pierce them. WW would not risk that kind of liability in today's world. I also use them in my DCM configured AR along with Remington seven and a half. I really don't see a problem.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Originally Posted by kraky111
Interesting thread. I happen to have some brand new norma 243 brass here and just checked them via my rcbs dedicated hs micrometer. They are .005-.006 undersized right out of the box.
I happen to have 2 rifles which will misfire with Win primers but NEVER misfire with federal. One is an older marlin 3030, the other is cva scout rifle in 708 that has a good amount of headspace built into the chamber. Both give me misfire with copper colored win primers...the wlr's.
Just put a note on my box of norma.....use only fed 210 primers....I bet everyone pops the way it should. Geez with mild loads I might be able to go a long long time with just a lee collet die...lol.

Now Fed. caps are "soft" and don't need a giant whack...

The undersized Wins oddly are the most sloppy when coupled with Win cases.

Headspace: don't need much, but ya gotta have it.

A Remmy made in the 70's prolly ain't real snug in the chamber department either..

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've had 'em sloppy in all Virgins.

Never recall a dud...............

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Only poofters I've seen had a serious alox bath.....

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Originally Posted by HawkI
Norma has a tendency to make brass on the short end....

Also never knew Win primers to be "soft"....

They aren't soft,but oft undersized..................

No kidding. Hadn't heard that. Just found 2 boxes of WLR primers last night when digging through my reloading stuff. Guess I'll load em up and see what happens.

This isn't 'Nam Donny, there are RULES...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The unplated WLR & WLRM primers I have are undersize.

They fit loose in primer pockets and measure undersize. There is a specific diameter for primers and these are out of specification.

This has been reported earlier here and on other sites.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Stainless steel primer cups?

I've found the WW LRP to be undersized, and they will sometimes have a soot ring with low pressures. I used to use them for my plinking loads, but switched to 9 1/2.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

584 members (160user, 1minute, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 204guy, 63 invisible), 3,232 guests, and 1,211 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,533
Posts18,452,957
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.