Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Ok, I had this smithed by Ray Romain a number of years ago but haven't shot it until recently because I've been working on other projects. It loves the Sierra 225 Gameking and doesn't really like the 225 Nosler Partition. Using Reloder 22 I get 3150fps with no signs of pressure.

98 Mauser (Weatherby Southgate)
Mcswirly Olive, Black and Gray
Barrel is a Douglas 26 inch 1-14 twist
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 with CDS
Weight is just under 9 pounds ready to go, I wouldn't have it any lighter.

[Linked Image]

I have used the 225 Gameking on a large black bear about 10 years ago and got full penetration so I did a milk jug test today. From about 50 yards away it destroyed four milk jugs and lodged in the 5th. Here is what it looked like

[Linked Image]

Accuracy has been outstanding here was my first group with it at 100 yards. The gamekings are on the left the nosler partitions are on the right.

[Linked Image]

So I tried accuracy at 200 yards. The three shots on the bottom are gamekings and three above are partitions.

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to take it out, look forward to hearing from some other 358 STA fans.

Last edited by Redside; 08/25/14.
GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I like your rifle alot! I always wanted a big 35. I have a 358 Winchester, 35 Remington, and the 35 Whelen. I figured I needed a big 35 to round out the .358's.

My buddies had my old 338 Win Mag rebored to 35 Newton. Mine is bobbed at 20.5" and I topped it with a Leupold 2-12.

It'll run 225 AB's at 2950 and I am currently running 250 PT's at 2810.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I really like the big 35's. Yours is the king, but I am having a blast with the Newton.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redside
Ok, I had this smithed by Ray Romain a number of years ago but haven't shot it until recently because I've been working on other projects. It loves the Sierra 225 Gameking and doesn't really like the 225 Nosler Partition. Using Reloder 22 I get 3150fps with no signs of pressure.

98 Mauser (Weatherby Southgate)
Mcswirly Olive, Black and Gray
Barrel is a Douglas 26 inch 1-14 twist
Leupold VX-III 4.5-14x40 with CDS
Weight is just under 9 pounds ready to go, I wouldn't have it any lighter.

[Linked Image]

I have used the 225 Gameking on a large black bear about 10 years ago and got full penetration so I did a milk jug test today. From about 50 yards away it destroyed four milk jugs and lodged in the 5th. Here is what it looked like

[Linked Image]

Accuracy has been outstanding here was my first group with it at 100 yards. The gamekings are on the left the nosler partitions are on the right.

[Linked Image]

So I tried accuracy at 200 yards. The three shots on the bottom are gamekings and three above are partitions.

[Linked Image]

Can't wait to take it out, look forward to hearing from some other 358 STA fans.

Beautiful rifle. Where was your POA on the green target? Looks like the first group was way low and to the left. Or Is there that much deviation in POI between the different bullets? Beretz, that Newton is too cool too buddy..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yeah, it's worth saying twice, that 358STA is a beautiful rifle and a smasher of a cartridge. I know the big 35's don't get a whole lotta love, but they are impressive hunting cartridges.

Semper Fi
R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Actually I had just gotten the rifle onto paper so that was my first group without establishing zero yet. A 35 Newton definently is probably the coolest 35 caliber a person can own. I just always wanted a 358 STA after reading Layne Simpsons article those years ago.

Last edited by Redside; 08/25/14.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I know what you mean. I am really loving the Newton. I read alot about Newton's stuff as a young lad and found a set of old RCBS dies for next to nothing.

After I developed the load, I have been doing nothing but shooting from the ground, prone, sitting or kneeling and the rifle is just shooting well for me.

I shot the 1st three with the sling, proned out on the deck. They were just under the bull.

[Linked Image]

I added 5 clicks of elevation (200 yards) and shot the next 5. I let one slip out, but I am very happy with the load and rifle.

Not to derail your post at all, cause you have the king of 358's. I couldn't have dreamed up a better set up than what you have.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Redside
Actually I had just gotten the rifle onto paper so that was my first group without establishing zero yet. A 35 Newton definently is probably the coolest 35 caliber a person can own. I just always wanted a 358 STA after reading Layne Simpsons article those years ago.

I remember reading those shooting times Alaskan articles and shooting times westerner write-ups. I probably still have the magazines. Very good reads, those guys really liked the big cartridges back then. Boddington was pushing them hard and so many guys building cartridges off of the 404 J. I'll bet that STA is a hammer. It looks great too. Good luck on your hunts with it.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Nice rifle! I've always been intrigued by the 358 STA cartridge as well, but I got a Model 70 358 Norma Mag in the safe that has kept me from having an STA built.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Damn, 358 Norma. What more could you want cool

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a STA built on a M70 after reading Laynes articles many years ago. 250grs at 2950fps from a 23in barrel makes an impression on both ends. I have used it on many hunts and have shot many animals with it. Deer, Caribou, Mnt Goat, Moose, Wolf, Bear. Can't say it's a favorite but it sure has gotten a lot of use.

If I was building today, I doubt I'd do the STA. A 358-375 Ruger is probably the route I would go.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The last pic it is wearing an MPI Hamilcar stock. Great for shooting but not so much for carrying.

Last edited by Kodiakisland; 08/26/14.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I built one on a Rem 700 action for myself when I got into this biz.. Was hopin' I'd get a chance to use it on a large animal - but it wasn't in the cards.

That was a good article by Layne. Made me drool... laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on a fine rifle in a great cartridge. To be a little different, I went with the same case in .338 for my big wildcat and big critters in AK and Zim have absolutely HATED it, to death.... grin

My fast 33 pushes 225gr TTSX's out the snout at 3100fps backed with a case full of IMR 7828SSC lit by federal 215M's.

But just wait, the little men and thier little cartridges will be along any minute with some chit about BC's and Boolits and placement trumps headstamps and all of thier campfire PC crap. Yeah, BC is good, and placement is critical, but sometimes pure horsepower is useful, too. And FUN! An idea lost on too many here.

If you are going to make a hole, make it a hole to REMEMBER! cool

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman

But just wait, the little men and thier little cartridges will be along any minute with some chit about BC's and Boolits and placement trumps headstamps and all of thier campfire PC crap. Yeah, BC is good, and placement is critical, but sometimes pure horsepower is useful, too.

There should be an award for the campfire's slowest learner.

Little, non magnum cartridges? Not for me or THIS hunt.....
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...ttle_non_magnum_cartridges_N#Post8739685

redside,
Fantastic rifle. And, I'm in agreement on the weight - any lighter and touching that one off would be akin to chewing tinfoil. grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
R
Redside Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
Originally Posted by safariman

But just wait, the little men and thier little cartridges will be along any minute with some chit about BC's and Boolits and placement trumps headstamps and all of thier campfire PC crap. Yeah, BC is good, and placement is critical, but sometimes pure horsepower is useful, too. And FUN! An idea lost on too many here.

If you are going to make a hole, make it a hole to REMEMBER! cool

To me this has been my experience with hunting big game. All calibers work. But I've just had many more bank flops using the bigger bores .338 and above then I have had using the .270/7mm and below. They all die but I know typically they are going to run a little further when shot with my .270 on average.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
[Linked Image]

My STA, just back from the blueing company.
Model 70 Classic action
Lilja 24 inch barrel
Winchester Super Grade take off stock
Williams Oberndorf style bottom metal
Just over 9 pounds as is with the Swarovsky scope, which will probably get replaced with a Leica

Winchester rifles and Swarovski scopes.
KDK Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beauty!

Originally Posted by ingwe
This is a shooting forum, there is no place here for logic.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Wow, now that is beautiful! What a rifle!

Kurt, I bet a guy with a M70 300 RUM could make a beauty of a 358 STA, Newton or Norma! grin

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Beautiful rifle in an excellent caliber.

A few hundred more rounds and my 300WM will be re-barreled in 358 STA.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by beretzs
Wow, now that is beautiful! What a rifle!

Kurt, I bet a guy with a M70 300 RUM could make a beauty of a 358 STA, Newton or Norma! grin

Easiest way is one that was originally 300WBY or STW. Just rebarrel and rock on!

At one time I had three 300 Weatherbys. Now one is a STA, another is a 375 Weatherby and the most accurate one is still a 300.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
And thanks for the comments!

I built it for African plains game...now if it would just cool off enough to get to the range to finalize loads...225 TSXs and H4350 looks good!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

604 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 69 invisible), 2,065 guests, and 1,248 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,449
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.