Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R

I have had health problems most of my life,some very serious,if not for our health care,I would have been dead a long time ago..

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
To all the Canadians, how many of you know someone (or several people) who have had a procedure done in the U.S. because Canadian wait times were so long?

(me - at least three people)

It takes a village to raise an idiot.
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
In my opinion alot more people are dead BECAUSE of our system than despite it.

My opinion is very biased based on my recent experiences but there are huge issues that any thinking person should be able to see.

How much does it cost for an emergency room visit?

How much does it cost to get a vaccination at your dr's office( if you are lucky enough to have one)

How much of my paycheck sinks into the bottomless pit of healthcare? 10% 40%?

How is it that when I go into any hospital I can see a group of 5 or 6 nurses chatting about the days events? Who's in charge?

Why are people waiting a year or more for a MRI? I can drive to buffalo and get one tomorrow. It costs $465 in the horrible american system that draws gasp of horror when mentioned here north of the border.

Why can't I get a second opinion on whats wrong with me or my loved ones if I don't agree with a diagnosis here.

Why do I see signs for "emergency room service in 15minutes or less" as I drive down I75 when I know I'm in for a 7-9HOUR wait if I go to my local hospital?

Why do I have friends that are suffering for years with bad knee's and hips before they can get replacements. Some of them are literally dying before my eyes due to bad knee's. One friend who used to be very active can barely walk some days, so he doesn't, but he still eats so he has put on 50lbs in the last 2 years now his knees are under more pressure from the extra weight, he is in constant pain so he has a never ending supply of opiates (OXY-codeine I think). Now he has blood sugar problems too- no doubt because of his weight gain, but he can't/won't exercise because of his knee pain. I have told him over and over again to just go get it done somewhere/anywhere. Who cares what is costs- he's going to die from it if he doesn't get it done...but he still waits for our system that he has so much faith in... he's 60. He's worked his whole life as a machinist/tool and die maker (a damn good one too!) How much has he paid into the system over the years just to have it kill him over a knee replacement?

The nurses and doctors unions are way stronger and more opaque than any other public sector union- I hear people bitching about teachers all the time but nary a word about nurses or dr's. Do you think that there is any kind of repercussions for being a substandard DR? Do you think that there is ever a review of their skills or abilities?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they are making you sit in emergency for 8-9 hours they obviously don't think your an emergency case. That is how they get you to quit coming.

Don't you have a health clinic you could go to? Or a public health nurse office?

You shouldn't be going to an emergency room for a prescription...that is crazy.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Agreed, I wasn't an emergency, I had giardia last time I was there...I realize it wont kill me but I damn sure wasn't leaving there until I had a prescription (anyone who has had it will understand)

Just to be clear I'm not dragging my ass in there every weekend. I've been to emerg for myself twice in my whole life. My upcoming prescription filler will be #3

Public health nurse? A quick google check shows me we have one office in our county and they will: give imunizations, help you quit smoking and anonymously check for STD's. I don't need any of those services.

We do have 2 clinics in town- One you can only attend if you are a patient of the 7 family doctors that run it.
The other one is open to the general public from 5-8 on tuesdays and thursdays. My wife has been to it (I never have) she said that people start to line up outside the doors at 3:00 to try and get in. They only allow so many people in and then close the doors... I'm not sure how long she had to wait there (for sure less than the emerg).... If you can get there and get in line at 3, on a tuesday or a thursday... I however have to go to work, to pay my taxes, to support our medical system frown

I agree it is absolutely crazy to have to go to emerg to renew a blood pressure prescription.... I haven't done it yet but what other choice do I have really?

I live about 2 hrs from the border crossing in buffalo- I've been seriously toying with the idea of driving down there and paying some american DR. his $50 (100? I have no idea what it would cost really) to write me a prescription.

Last edited by notlim; 07/30/14.
IC B2

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Sounds to me like Canadian health care is just great unless you have a medical problem.

We see a lot of Canadians come down to the Cleveland Clinic, one of the finest hospital systems in the world. They advertise that you can get an appointment with a doctor the same day you call.

A month ago a doctor prescribed an MRI for me. I got it the next morning. The only delay was because I was busy the first afternoon.

By the way, with Medicare and the supplements this cost me nothing.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by grouseman
To all the Canadians, how many of you know someone (or several people) who have had a procedure done in the U.S. because Canadian wait times were so long?

(me - at least three people)

I worked in the health care field in the Upper Midwest ( MN, the Dakotas, Wisconsin, Iowa and U.P. of Michigan) for many years...in cardiology....

at the time, 50 per cent of the patients at the hospitals in North Dakota, Northern MN and the U.P. of Michigan for cardiology needs were from Canada...

They needed procedures within 3 to 6 months, or they were told they wouldn't survive... and the waiting lists in Canada were 18 months or so... these pour Canucks would have to come across the border or die... their Canadian Health Insurance wouldn't pay for it.. and since they were from out of the country and the Hospitals had no way to collect if they skipped out on paying the bill, they made them pay in advance for the procedures, although they got nice discounts for doing so...

I really felt sorry for many of those Canadians put into that position.....

I also worked in Canada for a Canadian Company for several years, covering AB and BC, along with the Yukon and NW Territories.. and the US side of the border also....

My health care insurance was paid for by the company, who said it was very reasonable...however the rep based in Southern California, his health care insurance with CALIF rates cost as much as the rest of the sales force on the American side of the border....

I preferred the American Health Care, but exposure to Canadian Health Care, made me know Obama Care was a BAD idea long before it ever got passed by a Legislative Branch that never even read the 1100 page bill before passing it...

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Then there is the issue of Canada's best and brightest practicing in the US where they can make more money.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Sea fire is right BTW. I live in Marquette, MI area and the local hospital has a fair number of Canadian patients. Ditto with the university of MI Hospital, Mayo Clinic, etc.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by BWalker
Then there is the issue of Canada's best and brightest practicing in the US where they can make more money.

Very good point, and it is not just limited to Doctors.. plenty of Nurses, Physical Therapists etc...

I wouldn't be surprised if half of the Canadian born and educated medical personnel don't practice on the US side of the border, being able to make so much more money...

I remember back ( but not the years ) when ALL the Doctors in BC went on strike, to make more... complaining they were not making enough... and as I remember the figures they were talking about on the CBC it was pretty darn pitiful what these guys were getting paid...

IC B3

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Yes. It must be tough trying to make ends meet on a half a million bucks a year. blush

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Keith, I hear ya.. but a lot of folks don't always understand what costs doctors have to deal with... I'm going back to the late 80s... I knew a Cardiologist at St Luke's down in Kansas City, a big Cardiology Dept, doing cutting edge new procedures etc....

This Doctor had never been sued for malpractice....however he told me for him to open his doors on Jan 2, he had to pay his insurance up front in full by Jan 1. That figure was $800,000 bucks ( American) before he could open his doors at 8 AM on Jan 2nd....cash on the barrel...

Also in the 1990s, according to the IRS, the Average American Physician claimed approximately 1/3 of his gross receipts as uncollected debt annually.. medical claims not paid, because 'the paper work wasn't right' according to the insurance company... or just people not paying their bill and it was uncollectable...

Especially under Obama Care there is a reason a lot of physicians on our side of the border, are looking to retire, go into Administration etc... and as was said, half of Canada's doctors have migrated to this side of the border....gotta be a reason for that...can't be because they will make less money down here...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You would be surprised to know how many die in waiting room while others with coughs go first. I cut my finger and had a big puddle of blood on the floor in waiting room but 10 went ahead with flu symtoms.

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is it not enough money, or not enough doctors?

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
After many years of traveling and working extensively in Canada, I have yet to hear the first Canadian say that, even with all its challenges, they wish they had our health care system.

Last edited by OregonCoot; 10/09/14.
N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
Before moving to Canada I used to say " An apple a day keeps the doctor away " , but after experiencing the health care system here I find that a bacon sandwich works better.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
702 members (204guy, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 74 invisible), 2,956 guests, and 1,316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,767
Posts18,401,495
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.