Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#9120600 08/23/14
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well lets hear it. What are you suggestions as to what bullet I should use. I am thinking the Barnes 100gr TTSX or Noslers 110gr Accubond. Maybe a Nosler Partition 115gr. Yes I know their is a better choice for cartridge but this is what I have for now and it is hat will have to work.

Thank You

I am Canadian.
GB1

L
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
L
A friends mother uses a 257 Roberts for elk and she has tipped over quite a few with it. Her bullet of choice is 100 grain hornady interlock. Her husband brings the big gun with them when they go (25-06) and he also runs 100 grain horandy interlocks and they have tipped over lots of elk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A 115gr partition for my daughters rifle. I am limited to 2.8 OAL and don't like how far I have to seat the 100gr TTSX to get it to fit. Otherwise the TTSX would be my choice.

Don't just be a survivor, be a competitor.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I use 100g TTSX and 110g AccuBond for antelope and 120g Partition and A-Frame during elk/deer season.

Haven't taken any elk with it so I can't tell you how they work.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
M
M
I've got 257 Bob that's taken 3 bulls and 1 cow. 115gr Partitions seem to work fine

Mt_Shooter
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I carried one for a while. My load was a 120 grain partition over 43 grains of H414, federal 215 primers, in WW +P brass.

I spent about 2 hours waiting for friends to try to push a bull they thought they'd wounded out of a brushed up clearcut. I had the width of a skinny graveled road to (a) see the elk, (b) react, (c) get the gun lined up, (d) fire an aimed shot, and (e) put it on the ground 'cause if it got across it would be over a steep bank and into 3 miles of brush.

At that point I decided my .257 wasn't gun enough for the job it was called to do. The elk exited the other way. No blood was found. All good. And by the next year I was carrying a .300 win mag which I shot my own first elk with.

Nothin' wrong with a .257 Roberts for elk unless something goes wrong. It doesn't have the snot to do mop-up.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
On the other hand, one of my early elk-hunting mentors (now gone to the Happy Hunting Grounds) once neatly dropped a bull somebody else had wounded with a .30-06--with a single 100-grain, non-premium bullet from his Savage Model 99 in .250-3000. It happened in the thick country of far western Montana along the border with the Idaho Panhandle, on a moving bull.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
If that's all you've got, load a Nosler 115 or 120gr Partition and shoot straight and you'll be eating elk.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
My father used a mild 257 load with 100gr Partition at about 2850 to kill his last elk. It was pretty straightforward, and basically a broadside and a bang-flop at just under 200yds. Good bullet, good shooter, good result.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Good bullet, good shooter, good result.

Those are important compoents, but you forgot one. When using something pretty far to the light end of the spectrum for the job, the additional factor you need is a very cooperative elk that gives you the opportunity to put those other 3 to use. The likelihood of that depends much on location: terrain and cover. They matter with all cartridges and bullets to some degree, but the smaller you go, the tighter the window gets.

I've thought very hard about chucking all my other hunting rifles and going back to a .257 Roberts ... but I notice that I haven't actually done it yet.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B3

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I never got a chance to actually hunt with my dad for anything bigger than rabbits, but I know he tried to get as close as he could, and wasn't afraid to turn down shots he couldn't get set for. Too, he was one of the best off-hand shooters I've ever seen or heard of. He heart-shot big game.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I think the partition is the best choice. The Barnes does a good job out of my 257 Weatherby but I think the Bob is a little slow at the fringes to guarantee expansion. I

If the shots are relatively close, then any of these will work just fine.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
For every bang flop, DRT and "I knew a guy" story there are 10 stories that didn't have a happy ending that don't get talked about.

What would Elmer Keith have to say?

No doubt some expert marksman will chime in that they have 57 consecutive one shot kills with small caliber light bullets on heavy game and that since they have done it everybody should aspire to be as deadly an expert sniper as they are.

If you have to carry the damn thing, do yourself and your quarry a favor...take enough

Just sayin...

Last edited by 99guy; 08/26/14.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm sure my father felt he had enough gun. After all, it was a step up from the 6mm that he used for most of his elk hunting. He didn't lose any critters. His hunting partner and best friend used the same, and likely still does.

Certainly, experience decides what is enough, not internet critics, or gun writers who happen to be elsewhere taking 600yd shots at big game with a handgun.

Last edited by HuntnShoot; 08/26/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep:

Now is when everybody gets to tell their me and my friends and family don't need big guns cause we are expert hunters and expert marksmen and we never lost an animal story.

Keep um comin...

Last edited by 99guy; 08/26/14.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by T_O_M
At that point I decided my .257 wasn't gun enough for the job it was called to do. The elk exited the other way. No blood was found. All good. And by the next year I was carrying a .300 win mag which I shot my own first elk with.

Nothin' wrong with a .257 Roberts for elk unless something goes wrong. It doesn't have the snot to do mop-up.

Tom

And you say that because you sat there and contemplated the issue for a while, deciding that it wouldn't work?

Because obviously the conclusion was reached without any actual experience in the task at hand.

That elk, had it come out in front of you, would have died if you placed a .257 bullet into the vitals. It would have continued to run had you placed a .308 bullet into the guts.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy

What would Elmer Keith have to say?

Elmer Keith would say he pulled out a .44 mag revolver and stopped the elk with one running shot at 600 yards with open sights.

And for that, I will never give a $hit what Elmer would say.

I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 99guy
Yep:

Now is when everybody gets to tell their me and my friends and family don't need big guns cause we are expert hunters and expert marksmen and we never lost an animal story.

Keep um comin...

Expert hunters do kill most of the elk, and the gun figures into that equation about .5%.

That's a fact, whether Pennsylvanians want to acknowledge it or not.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah my elk experience has been much less about gun and caliber much more about getting up the mtn, getting downwind, getting in front of them, getting set for the shot, getting the shot off fast, etc. I don't have to defend my father's, nor my hunting practices and exploits.

In short, it does not matter to me whether whomever reads my post believes me or not. What matters is whether I can articulate what I have to say, and therefore add value to the discussion. Calling BS is your prerogative, but I assure you, you aren't adding value to the discussion.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
99, I forgot to add: I've never lost an animal. I am a really good shot, and I hit where I aim when I can get a good shot off, based on many years and many animals. It seems I've got the luck that way, and can get away with stuff others can't. I suppose that's kind of like my dad and his friend killing 60+ elk between the two of them with 6mms. They were just lucky.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

614 members (10ring1, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 56 invisible), 2,884 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,525
Posts18,452,804
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.