24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have T/C Hawken 50 cal that I haven't shot in many years. I might have a ML elk hunt coming up in Nov and need to get it out and limber it up. I'm not up on the latest and best.

To start with, Idaho is very restrictive on ML guns and components. We can use only loose powder and solid lead projectiles, no sabots. Guns must use flint or caps, no 209s, open or peep sights only.

I've only used Pyrodex in the past but plan to give 777 a try. Is cleanup as much easier with 777 than Pyrodex as they advertize? What are its advantages to justify the extra cost?

What's the latest in bullets? I've shot T/C Maxiballs but never had great accuracy with them. How well do Hornady's Great Plains bullets work (besides being far cheaper)? What kind of lube works well with them?

thanks in advance

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
RC, I had used both Pyrodex and 777. I could not see the difference in any cleanup. Because they both degrade over time, I switched back to FFG Black Powder.

If MT does not permit the Powerbelts with a copper flash, they also sell Powerbelst without it.

My Hawkin does not shoot the Great Plains very well. Acceptable, but the 370 gr Maxiball does better. Go figure.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Is 777 even recommended for a sidelock and #11 caps? I think you may run into some problems there. In my T/C Hawken, Great Plains bullets always shot well with 80 grains of Pyrodex.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I have about 1/2 lb of Pyrodex but it's very old. I'll pick up some Great Plains bullets and give it a try. I have plenty of time to experiment.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
I have about 1/2 lb of Pyrodex but it's very old. I'll pick up some Great Plains bullets and give it a try. I have plenty of time to experiment.

If they don't shoot, try some new Pyrodex first before switching bullets

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
While you're at it pick up some fresh powder, especially if you're using a substitute. In my sidelocks I have always preferred real black powder for quicker ignition. I've detected slight hangs with Pyrodex, which does no favors for your accuracy. I've heard Alliant Black MZ is easier to ignite but have no personal experience with it.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Shucks, just go with the black powder and be done with it. You are going to clean the thing after shooting it anyway, right? Right? smile

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shoot 777 ffg in my sidelocks with great success. I'd buy some 370 grain maxihunters and go shoot elk. Worked in my old factory barreled Renegade just fine.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just put fiber optic sights on my old TC New Englander, 1-48 twist. I had sighted in with pyrodex select and home cast 250 gr. REAL bullets, but picked up some 777 to try. With the same measure setting(80 gr.), the 777 was hitting 6 inches high and 3 inches right at 50 yards. Seems to be more speed on this one. I didn't get the chance to shoot for groups before running out of time and bullets, but it seemed to be pretty accurate as I was walking it into the bull.
Cleanup seemed to be easier for me, but one range session doesn't tell the whole story.
I've always had trouble getting pyrodex cleaned up in this rifle. After pumping hot soapy water through it and a rinse, I'd run patches with TC #13 that were still loaded with a dark brown residue. Sometimes it took a couple cleanings during the following week to get it clean. Don't know if it's the high humidity causing excessive fouling or what. I've always used bore butter for a lube since they advertise it as reducing fouling.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shoot 90grn fff and the round balls out of my TC Renegade. I have tried sabots and powerbelts, but they are erratic. I have not tried maxi-balls of any sort in over 15 years. Simple patch with bore butter. The roundballs are consistent and even on the 3rd round without cleaning out the bore.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Don't know how old ya are RC, but in Idaho you can get a permit to use a 1X scope if your eye doc says you need it.

And I prefer holy black myself.

Last edited by Brazos; 08/27/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole
Is 777 even recommended for a sidelock and #11 caps? I think you may run into some problems there. In my T/C Hawken, Great Plains bullets always shot well with 80 grains of Pyrodex.

I've had excellent luck with 777 in my TC sidelock. It's been a long time, but Pyrodex always gave me ignition trouble in the Lyman GP 54 I had. 777 does, however go bad over time, at least once it's open. BP lasts forever, but can be hard to come by in some places.
Just buy enough 777 for a year and then shoot it up or spread it on your lawn.

777 gives excellent velocity and cleans up easily using Ballistol either straight or diluted 5-1 with water. Steel won't rust in a10-1 water-Ballistol solution, so after cleaning, just dry patch the barrel and then swab it good with the straight stuff. I never had any trouble with corrosion in my flintlock using this method, (with BP, of course). A couple passes with a dry brush or a damp patch will knock out the crud ring that will form after a few shots.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Brazos
Don't know how old ya are RC, but in Idaho you can get a permit to use a 1X scope if your eye doc says you need it.

And I prefer holy black myself.
I'm 66 but 6 years ago I had cataract surgery in both eyes. I'm close to 20/20. No scope for me. I do have a peep on it, though.

― George Orwell

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I do not shoot a TC, but HAVE had a lot of experience with Investarms Hawkens, 1:48. Hornady Great Plains .50 cal, 385gr. shoot really well over anything up to 100gr 777. 80 - 90gr is probably optimum. Powerbelt 295's also shoot well, but not over 90gr. 777. Never got 348's to shoot well. M/L are kinda individual, so your mileage may vary....A peep works a LOT better than the stock sights, and I have a Lyman 57SML on one of them. You may need a taller front sight tho'.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The TC tang sight is a good one also and if your rifle is factory tapped (three holes in the tang) it's an easy install. The problem will be finding one at a decent price. They usually can be found on Ebay and Gunbroker, at $100 or so, sometimes in the original package. The Lyman sight is a good one too and available new, I believe. There's also a guy on Ebay that sells a barrel mounted fiber-optic peep that he assembles with Williams parts. Goes for about 65 bucks and includes a fiber-optic front sight of the correct height. Just search "Thompson Center tang peep sight" on Ebay. They're on sale now for about $50.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
My peep is a Williams that was sold by TC just for this rifle. It's a good fit using the stock front blade and works great.

― George Orwell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
667 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 10ring1, 12308300, 75 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,644
Posts18,399,029
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.