Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I am looking to purchase a belt/disc combination sander for my shop. I plan to use the belt to sand recoil pads, and the disc to shape small gun parts. I am thinking about something with a 3" to 4" belt, and a 5" or 6" disc; I would like to keep the cost under $150 or so. Any recommendations?

GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
To keep within your budget you should probably check Harbor Freight or Grizzly. Craigs List might be another source for used maybe American made rather than Chinese from the other two sources. If it were me, I would look for older American made equipment, Craftsman, Delta, Rockwell. All steel and cast iron rather than die cast and sheet metal as in the imported stuff. The advantage of the sturdier construction is that the belt will track well and stay put rather than moving all over the place which is maddening when trying to fit a recoil pad. I speak from nearly 40yrs. gunsmithing experience. Another bit of advise is to buy quality belts (3M or klingspor) rather than cheapo stuff, they'll last longer and track well.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If it were me, I would look for older American made equipment, Craftsman, Delta, Rockwell. All steel and cast iron rather than die cast and sheet metal as in the imported stuff.

^^^^ This ^^^^

Keep an eye on Craigslist, the local 'Nickel Shopper' and auction listings.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I went with two pieces of equipment, rather than have an all-in-one type sander. I got the 9 inch disc sander from Harbor Freight, and it's worked great for a few years. The belt sander is just my 3x21 Ryobi clamped in a bench vise. I had bought a better belt sander (Makita) but decided to keep the Ryobi for general use. Ryobi isn't great quality, but this sander has lasted for years. I don't sand recoil pads often, but I do a lot of woodworking (retirement hobby).

If I didn't have the gear I'm using now, I'd still get the Harbor Freight disc sander, but I'd get the Ridgid table type belt sander that will also work as a spindle sander. That's good gear.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bandukwallah
I am looking to purchase a belt/disc combination sander...I would like to keep the cost under $150...

Big spender.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I was just in Home Depot. They had a Ryobi belt/disc sander for about 119 bucks. Ryobi isn't by any means 'the good stuff', but that ought to do just fine for the OP unless he's doing commercial work.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 603Country
I was just in Home Depot. They had a Ryobi belt/disc sander for about 119 bucks. Ryobi isn't by any means 'the good stuff', but that ought to do just fine for the OP unless he's doing commercial work.

Bought this one specifically to do recoil pads myself. Have only done a few, but it works fine for this purpose.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Thanks to all who replied. I don't do commercial work, just a little gunsmithing for myself. Therefore, I don't need an expensive industrial machine, nor do I have the space for one. I will look at Lowes or HD for something.

Actually, I should probably fabricate a mount and re-purpose the B&D belt sander that I already have. Haven't used it in 6 or 7 years and it is almost new.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
The 4" Ryobi disk/belt sander from HD or Lowe's works just fine. I've ground a boatload of pads on mine.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use a Wilton and have never had a complaint..

IC B3

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
How important is it to have a bench top or freestanding sander for recoil pad grinding, vs something in a vice? I'm about to embark on this project and only have the handheld versions. I don't mind things taking longer, but I don't want to screw anything up. Thanks.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For me, the biggest advantage to having a freestanding or benchtop unit is that they will have a rest at 90 degrees to the sandpaper. It's much easier to get a square edge on what you are sanding. Often I'll just clamp the belt sander in the bench vise for grinding this or that, but only if I don't need a clean square edge.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A square rest was definitely the main thing I had recognized as lacking in using a handheld sander, even clamped in a vice.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For not much more money than the little disc/belt sander combo's I'd recommend a 12" disc sander.

[Linked Image]

A much more capable tool and a fence and miter gauge it comes in quite handy for both wood and metal work.

As with any sander, put Norton abrasives on it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Do not go with less than a 9 inch disk. Remember only half of the disk is turning in one direction. Fofr pad instillation I'd like to have a 12 inch disk.

If you get a disk sander get one with a 1750 RPM motor. A 3450 RPM motor has more of a tendency to burn wood or plastics.

If you buy a cheap combination belt disc sander from Harbor Freight take a good look at the disc. I bought one and spent a good hour plus making the disk flat on my lathe. it was done from a cheap casting from a bad casting turned flat by a drunk Chinaman trying to see how fast he good do the job to make a living wage.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I had a Rockwell 12" disc sander for years, and used it for many pad installations. Back before I purchased a grinding fixture, I would make a dedicated fixture for each application out of scrap wood. That approach worked very well when I had access to unlimited quantities of scrap walnut.

I traded the disc grinder when I moved into my present shop, since it seemed to take up too much room. I might persuade myself that I can find room for a new one if I shift some things around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To me few things are more frustrating than under-sized under-powered tools. If you're building models or working with other small parts I think the small combo sanders are great. But IMHO a recoil pad is a fairly big chunk to be grinding down and a 12" disk sander is a much better tool for the job and can be used for many other tasks as well.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The Harbor Freight 9 inch disc sander seems plenty big enough for me, and I use it a lot. But, there is one thing about it that's a bother. For some reason, the 9 inch diameter sanding discs can be tough to find on short notice. The 12 incher probably would be better about that.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I used to hang out in a model shop in a past life. There I learned that a disc sander is ideal for making parts. It is nice to be able to take a piece of stock, scribe the outline of a component thereon, and grind to final shape. It surely cuts down (pun intentional) on the need to manufacture lots of swarf with a hacksaw and file.

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Decades ago, when Sydney Sabots sold out to Catalina Yachts, I bought Syd's well used Rockwell stationary 6"x48" belt/12" disc sander for $350; replaced the bearings and a belt cover. This is your basic machine that you'd find indispensable in any shop.

example:
[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

83 members (300_savage, 264mag, 6mmCreedmoor, 13 invisible), 1,565 guests, and 785 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,435
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.