Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
I won a 1911 R1 Commander in Whelenman's Sportsmans' Club's raffle.

I am thinking that I should finally take up concealed carry.

What holster you guys using?

GB1

H
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
H
Sparks summer carry or the equivalent El Paso.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going with a tucker gunleather cover-up, rough out, with slim line clip. I've had them for my SW 4053 and a G36 and I like them.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Sparks Versa Max is hard to beat.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Milt Sparks 4" gun

Last edited by ready_on_the_right; 08/27/14.

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Galco concealable belt holster or a Galco King tuk. The 1911 Commander is and has always been my favorite Concealed Handgun to carry.

Sometimes, if I'm leaving the house in a hurry, I just tuck it in my Wranglers Strong Side "Meskin" Carry, as the old time Texas Rangers called it back in the day. Not the most comfortable or "safe" style of carry, but it will do in a pinch. cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/27/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This one has been perfect for my Colt's Lightweight Commander for many years.

Kramer Pro-Line, horsehide. That's a Sparks mag pouch.

[Linked Image]

It is just as important to have a good stiff belt as a good holster, too. A weak, narrow belt will allow the pistol to sag and be very uncomfortable.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I use a galco as well, that i bought here.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C5 leather Montana XLT. I have 4 of them now and another on order.

Big Jim is great to work with and only about 4 weeks out

D
dla Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Just about any iwb holster will do with a good belt.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
I have four or five different leather 1911 commander size belt holsters from Blackhawk, which you don't hear a lot about, but they're pretty nice Italian-made leather holsters that sell for a decent price. I also have a couple of nice ones from Galco and DeSantis. For on-belt carry, I prefer ones with a thumbstrap, but you need to experiment to be sure the thumbstrap fits well and doesn't pose a risk of sweeping the safety to the off position when carrying condition one. This can vary from gun to gun, of course.

Blackhawk also makes a nice leather IWB holster with a metal clip that I like for tuck and go use... again, decent quality at a decent price. For dedicated IWB use, however, my favorite is the Comp-Tac Minotaur. Once it's broken in and the leather shield comforms to your body, you almost forget it's there.

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Glad to hear you won yourself a nice prize!

I have and use a Milt Sparks Summer Special II as well as Tagua OWB, and even a Kydex paddle holster.

I find that Outside holsters are just more comfortable. El Paso is having a sale right now...and I use "Street Combat" and Tortilla" holsters for my handguns.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by efw
I won a 1911 R1 Commander in Whelenman's Sportsmans' Club's raffle.

I am thinking that I should finally take up concealed carry.

What holster you guys using?
Nothing beats, in my experience, a Milt Sparks Versa Max II.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Another vote for the Sparks Versa Max II. But, more important, is a quality belt. Sparks gunbelts are not cut straight, but with a gentle curve that conforms to the body. Even at 1.5 inches, I can pack my fully loaded 1006 Smith all day in confort. E

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
Another vote for the Sparks Versa Max II. But, more important, is a quality belt. Sparks gunbelts are not cut straight, but with a gentle curve that conforms to the body. Even at 1.5 inches, I can pack my fully loaded 1006 Smith all day in confort. E

+1 on the cut curved belt. It makes a difference.

Gun Shows are almost as comical as boat ramps in the Spring.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gibby
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

+1 on the cut curved belt. It makes a difference.

Maybe my next belt will be from Sparks, but I can report also that I've been very happy with my Galco gun belt. I'm currently on my second one in about twenty years. The first one finally wore out about five years ago. While they don't come with the curve that you folks are discussing, both of mine developed that curve on their own after just a few months of use.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
My best "curved" belt is a Galco. 1 1/2" about 3/16" thick. Very tough. Has held up very well.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sparks summer special 2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Vm2 fan here as well, if i'm carrying IWB. AND I've really become a fan of the SOEgear 1.5 inch Cobra belt. Very very rigid

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For a Commander sized gun, a Sparks Executive Companion is a very good holster, as is a Brommeland Max-Con V (same design as a Versa Max II, but thinner).

For a full size gun, the design of the Brommeland (or Versa Max II) carries the weight better.

All the above are IWB holsters; if you want a OWB, the choice is not nearly as particular. I like the Sparks 60 TX.

Randy Grizzle also makes some very fine stuff & is a peach to deal with. He has the some of the same type designs as Sparks & Brommenland with some minor new twists.

Sparks Leather

Brommeland Gunleather

Randy Grizzle Leather

MM

I
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I
TTGunleather special slim,much like the VMII but rides a little
lower.I also like the MS SSII.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Cross Breed Super Tuck .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Milt Sparks summer special II, along with a Galco stiff belt.

I pack a 5" Ruger 1911 instead of a Commander, and this is the most comfortable combo I've found. (for ME!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've carried in a Sparks Versa Max II for the past 11 years and I'm quite happy with it. And it's holding up remarkably well, still looks nearly new.

Sparks now has the Nexus, which is an improvement on the VM II. I think if I were buying new, I'd buy the Nexus. If it actually does improve on the VM II then they really have something. Because I think the VM II is the best IWB holster there is.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The only time I took GunGeek's advice on a holster I was sorely disappointed. I'll stick with the tried and true Versa Max II.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have you tried them all?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek

Sparks now has the Nexus, which is an improvement on the VM II. I think if I were buying new, I'd buy the Nexus. If it actually does improve on the VM II then they really have something. Because I think the VM II is the best IWB holster there is.

The Nexus is what the VMII should have been from the beginning. Sparks has finally copied Brommeland & reduced the thickness of the VMII & called it the Nexus.......but it needs a tad more cant.

I'll stick with Brommeland for that style holster, along with the Sparks Executive Companion in a slightly small size with lightweight framed 1911's.

MM

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Milt Sparks watch -six dual talon, horsehide.
Carried on a milt Sparks belt 1.5 inch, pure heaven.

E
efw Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
E
Wow guys thanks! Much food for thought; I'll shop based upon your advice & let ya'll know where I land!

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by JSH
Sparks Versa Max is hard to beat.

This!

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
like most of my CCW handguns, my Combat Commander rides around in leather by Sam Andrews
[Linked Image]

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A very good belt and a Milt Sparks Summer Special II. Alessi makes find leather, as does Mitch Rosen and several others. Get a very good belt from one of those makers with the holster and you'll be fine.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My Filson double layer belt hold up not only my pants but a full sized steel 1911.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
I have had a Wilson Lightweight IWB holster now for three days of wearing. One day up to 9 hours. I think it is going to work out. What I like most about it is the safety lock feature molded in the holster. It is mostly used for the 21st Century Colt Commander. But on the 9 hour day, I packed the Delta Elite. No complaints. So far so good. Not bad for a high quality holster costing just $65.00.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you run across an old Bianchi Askins Avenger, L (lined) version, for the commander, that would be one I'd grab. My favorite of the several versions that were/are sold. For concealed carry, it fits on the flat of the hip above the back pocket, with a lower trailing slot that keeps the handle properly raked forward and tucked nicely against the body. Also works very well as a range holster and was extremely popular. I just saw one pictured recently in the Handgun Forum with a 1911 someone was pricing.

The unlined version was offered, but I do believe it gave some troubles and was discontinued, whereas the lined version was the cats meow.

The Galco version does not share the low trailing slot and does not tuck as well. The Milt Sparks version can be custom ordered with the proper cant, but the Askins Avenger will hang with the Milt Sparks in performance, and can be found, if you look, for pennies on the dollar in comparison. So, if you run across one, I�d grab it.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMan

The Nexus is what the VMII should have been from the beginning. Sparks has finally copied Brommeland & reduced the thickness of the VMII & called it the Nexus.......but it needs a tad more cant.

I'll stick with Brommeland for that style holster, along with the Sparks Executive Companion in a slightly small size with lightweight framed 1911's.

MM
That is one of my only complaints about the VM II, the leather is too thick. My favorite holster is a VM II-ish holster from HBE Specialty Leatherworks, which is much thinner. Still, I find the VM II to be an excellent holster.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Have you tried them all?
Not even close, but I've tried a whole lot of holsters over the past 30 years. I also find the Mitch Rosen ARG to be excellent.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I use a belt made by Bandara .. I love it....holds the gun snug and really eliminates the bulk of a holster..

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
nothing eliminates the bulk of a holster, quite like the lack of a holster.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
The Bandara Beltster looks like an interesting idea.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Have you tried them all?
Not even close, but I've tried a whole lot of holsters over the past 30 years. I also find the Mitch Rosen ARG to be excellent.

Everybody's anatomy is different, and tolerance (comfort) level varies also. I find that in IWB holsters with pliable leathers and lightweight thin designs are more comfortable.

The MR ARG is another good option of course.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In 15 years have never carried my commander concealed for a minute, it is too heavy.

I carry it in my hand from the vehicle to the shooting bench.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Unless its a LW commander..

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by rainierrifleco
Unless its a LW commander..
The Commander is the lightweight Commander. The all-steel Commander is called the Combat Commander, and came later in response to customers requesting an all-steel version of the Commander.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
check out the Colt CCO or the Dan Wesson version. Commander slide and Officer grip. IMO the best combo of weight and reliability in a 1911

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Milt Sparks summer special

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 35sambar, 20 invisible), 2,181 guests, and 900 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,649
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.