Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Lots of schools in Pa. close for the first day of deer. Most of the students and many of the teachers would be out anyways-why stay open? Heck, most of the available substitute teachers wouldn't be available, as they'd be in the woods too.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
GB1

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
We used to get an excused absence for the first day of small game season too. 'Just had to have the folks sign a release. Growing up the son of a hound man with a beagle always ready to run rabbits and bust ringnecks, from the time I was old enough to carry a shotgun, (10 years old) I was in the fields and briar patches on the first day of small game. Pheasants were pretty sparce back then, but we seldom came home without a full limit of rabbits, a few squirrels to boot, and a very tired little beagle.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub

Got a flyer on that group. wink

Yeah, I am just happy when every arrow hits the target and sticks.

smile

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can't imagine anything better than pulling the kid out to go hunt, or go do anything for that matter.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I can't imagine anything better than pulling the kid out to go hunt, or go do anything for that matter.
Agreed! The school my son goes to has a rule that the teachers do not have to let them make up homework or tests if they have an "unexcused" absence. Funny for a school touting "family values" like they do. Regardless, if I feel the need to take my kid out of school I will. I'm not terribly concerned about is K-8 GPA...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The idea that the school, ANY school, would somehow know better than I do what is or is not an "excused" absence for my son is cracks me up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie
The idea that the school, ANY school, would somehow know better than I do what is or is not an "excused" absence for my son is cracks me up.
We think alike. To be a touch more clear, the rules do not state that a teacher can't allow a makeup test or provide homework early, just that they don't have to.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
When I was very young, the local schools had some days off for 'the deer hunt', but I think that ended in the early 80's, about the time I got into jr high. So I never got any time off, and my parents were brainwashed into that mindset that missing school was bad. Hell, my attention was absent 90% of the time anyway.

Buck Fever in my neck of the woods has always been associated with the adrenaline rush that hits when seeing deer, the nerves that cause botched shots:

"How did you miss him at 60 yds?"

"Did you see that rack?! I got Buck Fever!"

Elk fever is even worse. I've seen great shooters do horrible shooting when the Elk Fever comes on.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Yes Indeed!

My older son was not into anything that involved "EARLY" <G>
My youngest was/is into any sport.

Can't remember specifics but I went to school dressed in camo frequently and checked him out of school because "we were going out of town", didn't fool anybody but didn't have a problem over it.

Fond memories, don't regret it one bit

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

Yup, dat true! Love the feet in the pic. grin

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

smile

Yup, dat true! Love the feet in the pic. grin

He loves the camo shoes.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 02bfishn, 61 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,347
Posts18,468,810
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.