Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am new to reloading this year and have done alot of research but am having troubles with my length to ogive. Each round I load have keep getting a variance in my length. I get about a .005 spread in each round and have to constantly adjust my die. I am using a rock chucker press and forester die with the micro adjustment. Am I missing something or is this normal? Thanks.

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The only thing that comes to my mind is a variance in your seating stroke. And too 0005 ain't a whole lot of variance. The bullets themselves could be the culprit

Aim for the exit hole.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
+1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Sometimes I get that with vld-type bullets that have a long ogive that's a hollow-point with no lead under the jacket.

If you're using those bullets and a standard seater plug, the seater plug can compress the unsupported copper a little differently each time. I solved the problem by using a vld chamfer tool on the seater plug, it gives a longer bearing surface to contact the bullet and less variance.

The other thing that can cause that is too much neck tension (stiff seating) and/or no lube on the inside of the neck. If you can get a smoother seating stroke by either less neck tension (not an option with a standard sizing die, you'd need a bigger neck bushing) or lubing the inside of the neck that helps sometimes too.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
What bullets?

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Dmick33
I am new to reloading this year and have done alot of research but am having troubles with my length to ogive. Each round I load have keep getting a variance in my length. I get about a .005 spread in each round and have to constantly adjust my die. I am using a rock chucker press and forester die with the micro adjustment. Am I missing something or is this normal? Thanks.

What caliper and tool are you using to measure to the ogive?

Remember, the more accurate our tools, the more variance we can see.........

.005 ain't bad at all.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I am using nosler accubonds and do have a neck sizer die once I shoot the brass for the first time. For measuring tools I have the hornady comperator and a rcbs digital caliper.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might want to remove your seater stem and check how well it fits your bullets. Sometimes the bullets can stick in the seater plug slightly and pull out a little when you lower the ram. Polish the seater by taping the stem and gently chucking it in a drill then use some fine sandpaper (220 or finer) on a dowel. Run the drill and hold the sandpaper in the seater and polish it up.
Should help.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Shoot the [bleep].

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
There is that. How do they shoot?

IC B3

D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
I did the OCW test the other day and was a little disappointed. I'm not sure what the problem was but was not getting any real good groups but all those rounds were the same length because I kept adjusting the die. I know the gun will shoot I have shot sub moa with some factory rounds when I first got it.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well, that might be your answer, a two-part answer. If making the rounds the same length doesn't get you what you want,why bother?

Second part is, try switching bullets. Nothing magical about the accubond, especially if you can't get it to shoot. If you're trying to duplicate accurate factory loads, run 'em through a chronograph and try to match their velocity and OAL.

D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Yeah I bought some bergers to possibly try and was looking at making some 165 gr Barnes. But I started with the noslers and with hunting season creeping closer I was hoping to get the noslers to work and not have to start over.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
What size groups are you getting? If you're shooting a factory hunting rifle, you may be over-thinking this.

Aim for the exit hole.
D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
It is a winchester EWR that I had a shilen barrel put on. When I did the ocw test the best I got was around 2 inches at 100 and when I first got it back I was sub moa with factory barnes ammo.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Are your cases all the same length.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
There's a reason one sees Kiss and find pressure.

OCW, carry on

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Adjusting the die on every round is not...NOT how you seat bullets. You may get variance. Trying to account for it, you will never be able to re-create good ammo if you happen to find something that shoots well. Pick a seating depth off the lands, using your tools first to find out where they are: on a dummy round you soft-seat and work through your action. Altering seating depth is a way to 'tune' groups, but chasing a specific measurement is not going to work--your equipment is not designed for it.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Generally I think a variation in seating depth is because the tip of the bullet is hitting the bottom of the seater before the seater hits the ogive.

I used some Sierra Blitzkings that were giving varying measurements after seating. Changed out my seater to a different size and problem went away.

That being said, a variation of .005" should not be making that big of an impact in groups.

D
Dmick33 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
From my readings what I started with is the bullet just into the lands and was starting there. If I dont get the same measurements on ogive of round to round wouldn't I possibly end up with some touching the land and some just off?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 16penny, 160user, 51 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,196 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,614
Posts18,454,947
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.