Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
I'm kinda like some of the others, I cover the handgun with my pillow. The safe makes the pillow too"lumpy"!! grin memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
GB1

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage
I take the gun out and place it in a "bed holster" that tucks between the mattress and box springs, with the holster part hanging down flush against the box springs. This leaves the gun hanging within easy reach but not visible on the nightstand.

Good idea. Manufacturer, website? Is the gun held firm for a one handed positive draw?

This is the one:

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/BEDSIDE-HOLSTER,1810,34.htm

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by VaHunter
I have a Fort Knox that I think is the best you can get, but it is expensive. I had one of the electronic lock type that you see advertised in all the gun mags and it was junk. When you went to get in it the battery was most likely dead and you had to go find a key to get into it. How is that going to save your life in the middle of the night.

Now the Fort Knox I have has a mechanical lock (pushbuttons) and is very heavy duty, plus it will hold two to three handguns.

Give them a look. I think you will agree they are worth the extra money.

I second this. I probably have the same model. It's a good size as well.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
My bedside is safe because if my 1911 is not on my hip it is on the Bible on my nightstand. Either way it is within reach.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Clarkm
I have a condom in the bedstand that has been there for 25 years.
I might get lucky.
It could happen.

A condom is a muzzle brake for your love gun.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B2

T
Techsan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Some good recommendations, and good laughs about hoping to pull the trigger on that aged rubber as well. As a kid my dad did not lock his guns up, and like many of you I was taught at an early age that I could ask him to pull one out if I wanted to look it over, but my ass would be grass if I ever touched one without his knowledge or permission. I "think" I can trust my three boys to follow the same rule, but they have friends over, and it's simply different times we live in where I can't assume the kids won't go poking around. Will take a look at the Fort Knox safes as I have no use for electronic safes of any kind.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a Fort Knox pistol box and it worked well for years, but then the mechanical lock started acting up, taking numerous tries to open with the mechanics maybe catching a bit... I tossed it and bought a biometric pistol safe that is much faster and doesn't take up nearly as much room. I wish I had made that move earlier.

If you get the Fort Knox I recommend painting the push pin tops that are black and hard to see at night with a mixture of epoxy and glow powder. There is some high luminescence powder out there that is awesome. It made a big difference at night.

Eric

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Hotload
My granddad lived at home alone the last 10 years of his life. He never wanted a bedside safe
as he keep a fully loaded Colt 1911 under his pillow. May sound unbelievable ... but literally true.

I keep the .45 Springfield 1911 on the bedside table. If you really need a self defense gun in the middle of the night, I don't feel I want to be fumbling around with a safe, in order to access it.

Sam......

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 257robertsimp, 16 invisible), 1,240 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.