Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I do, I finally got a fix for them.

My problem was sliding the gun into a scabbard, it pushed the rear sight down and the elevation screw would work loose, changing the elevation of the POI. Also my gun's balance right at that sight point and even carrying one there with your hand wrapped around the stock, sight ,etc., did the same thing.

I coated the barrel just in back of the sight with mold release. Using Brownells' Acruglass gel/black dye, I built up a blob that was higher than the space between the barrel and sight and wider than the rear sight just aft of the sight. I had sighted the gun into be about 3" low at 100 yards before doing all this.

Then carefully, using a dremel for the rough stuff and a file for final fitting, I shaped a block that would just barely slide in under the sight. The sight sets at little bit I of an angle and the block needs to be tapered on top just a might. Since the block was cast on the barrel it fits the barrel exactly. The sides of the block, I shaped to be even with each side of the sight. When finished, the block needs to be able to side in under the sight with a little bit of pressure( not loose)

After installing the wedge (block) between the barrel and the rear sight I re-checked the zero yesterday and it was still low, so while at the range, I cut a piece of .015 brass shim stock, raised the sight 2 clicks, and slid the shim in between the wedge and the bottom of the sight.

If you cut the wedge right, and it is tight, you need to take the wedge out in order to turn the elevation screw. Then re-insert the wedge.

It was still shooting low so I added another .015 shim and re-checked it.
Two shots within 2" of each, dead center.

I cleaned the gun at home and then using a hypodermic syringe, I placed a small dab of Acrulass at the rear of the sight, that touched the barrel and very bottom back surface of the rear sight that will hold the wedge in. Then I placed a small dot about 1/8 inch on each side of the sight and wedge down to the barrel.
I let everything cure and the wedge/shims are in there rock solid.

I did not dye the little dabs as if I ever want to remove them I can tell the white from the blued steel solid.

When I talk about the rear sight, I am referencing part that moves up and down, not the sight base itself

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I God had meant for men to use mules to hunt with, He'd have made them with scabbards that wouldn't mess up your sights.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
OR, have someone design an after market sight without that spring loaded one that could easy replace that one.

I tried replacing it with Williams Peep sight, but I'm screwing up somehow using that, so I went back and remounted the FO sight, which I don't like either

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This is kind of on the same subject.
Has anyone ever replaced the spring in a spring loaded T/C rear sight?
I acquired a T/C muzzle loader that had no spring when I got it.
I called T/C and they sent me one which they said was their "last one".
When it arrived I realized it is the wrong one.
Thoughts anyone as to where I might find a replacement?

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
I might have one as extra. I'll check.

If not I will check the dimensions on one I am not using. Any Ace Hardware store would have one.

Smoke.One day you and me need to ML hunt together so you can carry my elk back to the mules so I don't have to cut it up in so many pieces. grin

I don't have a spare, but the one I have is:
.437" long (7/16")
.200" OD
.137" ID Approx.
Wire size is .022" Dia

I would guess that anything that would fit in the countebore where the spring goes would work, even it is a bit stouter. I would not go lighter.
You might have to settle for a 1/2" long oneand cut it down

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/09/14.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's a guy on Ebay that takes Williams Guide open sights and combines them with the WGRS apertures to make a barrel-mounted peep with fiber-optic inserts. He includes a FO front sight of the proper height. You could do the same yourself, but he's got it all figured out and the price is about the same, about 65 bucks or so. He sells them for TC round and octagonal barrels. If you don't want the peep, you can just buy the sight sets from Williams. The FO feature isn't "traditional", but neither is a spring loaded adjustable.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Seems like alot of work to keep your screw tight. If it's the same sight as on my New Englander, a drop of blue Loctite has kept it from moving on it's own but still allowed adjustment when needed.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Tried the loctite, but it still worked loose

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Sight it as needed then a big shot of shoo-goo!

Go to a fixed sight in a 3/8 dovetail. Get one .030 too tall.
Zero with a file.

P.A.

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by PAMyers
Zero with a file.

P.A.

That would require a gunsmith or a mill and buying a sight. I was conveying something that anyone could do for next to nothing in cots. Thanks though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Zero with a file.

P.A.

That would require a gunsmith or a mill and buying a sight. I was conveying something that anyone could do for next to nothing in cots. Thanks though.

No, it wouldn't require any of that. The 3/8 dovetail is already there under your existing sight. A fixed sight from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun works isn't expensive. If any fitting is needed at all, simply file the base of the sight to fit your dovetail. (never file the dovetail) I find a triangular file works for that job. It isn't complicated or expensive and solves the problem of that spring loaded sight shifting every time it gets touched.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter
Zero with a file.

P.A.

No, it wouldn't require any of that. The 3/8 dovetail is already there under your existing sight. A fixed sight from Track of the Wolf or Dixie Gun works isn't expensive. If any fitting is needed at all, simply file the base of the sight to fit your dovetail. (never file the dovetail) I find a triangular file works for that job. It isn't complicated or expensive and solves the problem of that spring loaded sight shifting every time it gets touched.

No, the dovetail is not there. I have had these sights on and off 3-4 times and they are screwed on like a scope base with two screws, and I just rechecked my Hawkin that has the sight removed.
Maybe then newer ones, but I doubt it as I have never seen a dovetail when these sights are factory.
This is on an older TC Hawkin bought in the late 70's and a TC Black Diamond.

Again, this is a no cost solution and your "inexpensive" might not be so to others and I'd bet with out looking that they are $35 +

Sheesh,why do guys have to jump in with something else especially when the info is bogus. grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just changed the factory sights out for Williams fiber optics on my TC New Englander (round barrel). Went with the standard open rear(green fiber optic rod in a horse shoe shape and red front). On this one there is no dovetail under the rear sight, just the two tapped holes. Wish I had done this years ago, I can actually see to shoot it now.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Ole_270
Just changed the factory sights out for Williams fiber optics on my TC New Englander (round barrel). Went with the standard open rear(green fiber optic rod in a horse shoe shape and red front). On this one there is no dovetail under the rear sight, just the two tapped holes. Wish I had done this years ago, I can actually see to shoot it now.

Know what you mean. I had switched to a Williams peep and put a front blade on this Black Diamond, but my eyes went further south so I went back to the factory FO that was on it originally.
I really don't like them as they are to big, but I can see them with prescription glasses.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/23/14.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Again, this is a no cost solution and your "inexpensive" might not be so to others and I'd bet with out looking that they are $35 +

Sheesh,why do guys have to jump in with something else especially when the info is bogus. grin

Wish I could find someone around here with cash who was willing to "bet without looking"

A rear sight from Track of the Wolf cost $7.00 to $ 8.00.

If your rifle didn't have the dovetail already cut (mine did) it does not require a milling machine or a gunsmith to cut one. I do it all the time, by hand, with a file.

This is a link to a Midway video by Larry Potterfield showing how to hand cut a dovetail in a rifle barrel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60yBwzipKA

Maybe $8.00 and use of a file is expensive to you.

Accura Glass will cost you $24.00.

Maybe my math is different from yours?

Yeah, it's annoying when guys jump in with bogus info.

I hate that...

Almost as much as guys who post "wisdom" on how to solve a problem through "creative tinkering" instead of fixing it right the first time. Jeesh....

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
TC made a primitive rear sight that mounted with the two factory screw holes. One was up for sale on Ebay just last week. Some of the muzzleloading specialty shops also have sights that will mount with the factory screws.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by prairie dog shooter

Wish I could find someone around here with cash who was willing to "bet without looking"
A rear sight from Track of the Wolf cost $7.00 to $ 8.00.
If your rifle didn't have the dovetail already cut (mine did) it does not require a milling machine or a gunsmith to cut one. I do it all the time, by hand, with a file.
This is a link to a Midway video by Larry Potterfield showing how to hand cut a dovetail in a rifle barrel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W60yBwzipKA

Maybe $8.00 and use of a file is expensive to you.
Accura Glass will cost you $24.00.

Maybe my math is different from yours?
Yeah, it's annoying when guys jump in with bogus info.
I hate that...

Almost as much as guys who post "wisdom" on how to solve a problem through "creative tinkering" instead of fixing it right the first time. Jeesh....

Your information was bogus because you said to order a sight that would go into a dovetail when you didn't know your butt from a hole in the ground that my rifles did not have a dovetail. It would have been different if you had the manners to at least ask if my rifles had the dovetail.

You fix yours the way you want and I'll fix mine. I didn't ask for any other methods, nor did I ask you to research prices for me. I only posted what worked for me.

You get you panties in a wad because my fix didn't accomodate your way of thinking. So therefore, my fix is bogus. No that is what is annoying. My thread required no comment from you or any one. Just something that works for me.

Just like last fall when guys like you said I had to go to Track Of the Wolf to buy a new barrel for my Hawkin. Thompson Center replaced it for nothing. My only cost was the shipping it there. After I posted that, everyone shut up. Wonder why?

BTW, I have the Acruglass Jel on hand and I maybe used 1/4 of a teaspoon on it. Total cost to me $0.00 and I didn't have to Rube Goldberg a hand filed dovetail. Or at a later date, if I wanted to go back to the original, I'd have a dovetail cut in that I didn't need.

Last edited by saddlesore; 08/28/14.

S
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LeonHitchcox
TC made a primitive rear sight that mounted with the two factory screw holes. One was up for sale on Ebay just last week. Some of the muzzleloading specialty shops also have sights that will mount with the factory screws.

I might look into that. No Time now. I leave for ML in a week and a half.
I had switched to a Williams peep sight, and replaced the front FO sight with a blade, but I still could not get my eyes to work wit that.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T

I might look into that. No Time now. I leave for ML in a week and a half.
I had switched to a Williams peep sight, and replaced the front FO sight with a blade, but I still could not get my eyes to work wit that.

Out of curiosity, what size aperture were you using in the peep? Most folks with older eyes (me included) are able to use peeps easier provided they use a large enough aperture. You only have to focus on front sight and target rather than rear sight, front sight and target.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (444Matt, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 20 invisible), 1,769 guests, and 1,111 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,182
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.