Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
so I buy a wood Ruger 338 win mag RS blued gun. Want to convert to an all weather gun. what would YOU do?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hint

Buy a Montana 223 and throw it in the creek....grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Dyna Bore Coat in the bore. Dyna Gun Shield all exposed metal parts (everything but the bore).

McMillan stock.

Should be it. Reapply the Dyna Gun Shield as required (I think they say once a year or something to that effect).

Or coat the outside in Cerakote or similar.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by SLDUCK
so I buy a wood Ruger 338 win mag RS blued gun. Want to convert to an all weather gun. what would YOU do?

Sell it !
Then replace with stainless steel.

"Then join in hand, brave Americans all!.....By uniting we stand, by dividing we fall"
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Have you bought it or are you going to buy?

IC B2

S
SLDUCK Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
already bought I liked it since it already had the sights on

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I'd put a Cerrakote on it and whatever stock you like. Had nothing but great luck with Cerrakote on the outsides of the metal and MicroSlick on the bolt and moving surfaces.

Semper Fi
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Agree with Beretzs, Cerakote all metal and buy a synthetic stock. Glass bed and go kill stuff.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Nothing like sinking $800 into a $400 gun just so you can hunt with it.

Sell it and buy a stainless/synthetic.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by dogcatcher223

BINGO !!!

M70 Classic or Kimber Montana.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

BINGO !!!

M70 Classic or Kimber Montana.

I'll third this idea.

I'll even pontificate that a stock SS Ruger Hawkeye will work well. I have 3 of them, all with original plastic stock. Haven't done much to them other than tweak the trigger and make sure it isn't binding anywhere when screws are tightened. I'll likely keep them as is. My Hawkeye UL in 30-06 has become one of my favorite rifles. It has shot lots of 1" groups with hunting bullets. You'd be all in for ~ $650. Replace the stock if/when you feel like it.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Leave it like it is, and go kill chit with it. Just give everything a good thin film of CLP Breakfree and then wipe it down every day real good a lightly oiled cloth and run a patch or lightly oiled bore snake down the tube daily. When you get back home, detail strip (as in remove the barreled action from the stock) the weapon in extreme detail going through it with a fine tooth comb and cleaning it. It'll do fine since it's just visiting AK for a few days. Don't make it overcomplicated, unless you want to drop another $500 into the gun. It's not like your moving to Alaska and throwing you're gun in the bottom of a boat for 4 months. Wood and blued metal have been working just fine for centuries before plastic and stainless steel came along.

IMHO�

Foxx

God Bless America!
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Nothing like sinking $800 into a $400 gun just so you can hunt with it.

^^^^^^ This

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Leave it like it is, and go kill chit with it. Just give everything a good thin film of CLP Breakfree and then wipe it down every day real good a lightly oiled cloth and run a patch or lightly oiled bore snake down the tube daily. When you get back home, detail strip (as in remove the barreled action from the stock) the weapon in extreme detail going through it with a fine tooth comb and cleaning it. It'll do fine since it's just visiting AK for a few days. Don't make it overcomplicated, unless you want to drop another $500 into the gun. It's not like your moving to Alaska and throwing you're gun in the bottom of a boat for 4 months. Wood and blued metal have been working just fine for centuries before plastic and stainless steel came along.

IMHO�

Foxx

There's more than a good chance that procedure will adversely affect the POA/POI relationship.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would take it out of the stock, put a coat of wax on it, oil up the moving parts and go hunting. If the finish gets a little blemished, so be it. Like said above, wood and chromolly have worked for hundreds of years.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Originally Posted by TC1
Like said above, wood and chromolly have worked for hundreds of years.

Cotton clothes and smooth soled boots "worked" for hunting for some time too.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MuskegMan

Originally Posted by TC1
Like said above, wood and chromolly have worked for hundreds of years.

Cotton clothes and smooth soled boots "worked" for hunting for some time too.

Yeah but you are even further off subject now than when the thread started. The guy didn't ask what rifle he should buy or clothes he should wear, he ask what he needed to do to a the rifle he already owned. Very few have offered any useful suggestions.

He can have a very successfully hunt with his blued Ruger rifle and not be slowed down one bit if that's what he chooses to do. He doesn't need to sell it and buy another rifle or throw in in a creek like suggested above. It's one hunt. He doesn't need a stainless rifle with a new age plastic stock to do that. Simply protect the finish of the rifle and go hunting. It's not that hard, people have been doing just that for a long time.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I prefer laminated wood to plastic. So if you're worrying about stock warp I would pick up a ruger laminated stock, get'er dialed in, and hunt it. Protect the metal with something you can wipe it down with as with all guns. I concede there is some advantage to SS and plastic in bad weather but maybe not as much as marketing would have us believe.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Cera coat does not work the way I hunt. I get scratches and such since I go through and in brush a lot as needed.

I do the bore coat for the outer of the gun( and in the barrel) and just found out there really is no reason you can't use the bore coat for barrels for both, the non barrel stuff just dooesn't have anything in it for heat. That way I don't buy 2 differing products.

Coat it in and out, and watch it and oil as needed, check the barrel as needed but its pretty much sound. Recoat the outside if you get scratches. Easier than trying to put cera coat on for patches.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Bed that p hucker, first and foremost. I've seen more Rugers split stocks that weren't bedded.

Of course a McMillan would solve that problem.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

577 members (10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 007FJ, 45 invisible), 2,660 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,506
Posts18,452,593
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.