Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Heading to CO to meet my folks and spend some time in Breckenridge. I know about the outdoor stuff like hiking and mountain biking, but my mom has a bum knee right now and won't have surgery until after the trip (she has a bad torn miniscus and some other minor thing that she's getting fixed). We'll be able to do some minor things and maybe an easy hike or two. Anything not super exerting for her knee?

Originally Posted by Bristoe
It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
There's great shopping very close by.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The way this year is going it might be a good time to watch snow fall.
Actually not that unusual for September anyway.

Last edited by Tracks; 08/27/14.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by Tracks
The way this year is going it might be a good time to watch snow fall.
Actually not that unusual for September anyway.

Aw crap... I'm buying my dad's Pontiac Vibe for a commuter vehicle and driving it back to Seattle (they're driving out from IL and flying back). Hopefully that is not an issue.

But it would be really cool to see!

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Snow won't (usually) be a problem then. Bum knee is tough. You can ride the gondola to the top at Keystone, there used to be a good restaurant up there, probably still there, nice place to eat dinner. There's decent fly fishing in the Blue River both above Dillon Reservoir and below, try these guys, half-day trips are easy and not very expensive this time of year, and you don't need to be an experienced fly-fisher to catch fish and enjoy the day:

http://www.blueriveranglers.com/

Good luck. A bad day in Breckenridge in September is better than a good day most places.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Beer Fest. (Oktoberfest) 12th-14th.

Last edited by WyColoCowboy; 08/27/14.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Breck has lots of hiker infrastructure and a touristy downtown. It will be chilly, and the air will be thin at 10 grand. But there are lots of flat paths, and if it is sunny, it can be really nice.
Or it can be coooooooold.
Don't be afraid to just go for a nice drive. There are big passes to the east and south, a neat drive to Kremmling to the north, and Vail/Copper down the freeway to the west.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Leaves should be changing by then. Tons of stores in Silverthorne which is right down the road. (outlet mall)

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B
When you get tired of the outlet stores walk upstream towards Dillon Dam. Bring your polarized glasses and goggle at the large numbers of trout at the bottom of the dam. you can't get all that close to the dam but usually this time of year there are lots of fish right at the fence/bridge.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
There are a couple of good brew pubs there. Those should be easy on the knees.

Really unless you are into buying Tee shirt/trinkets, etc., there isn't much to do in town

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B3

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Leaves should be changing by then.

Check out Hoosier Pass for changing of the aspens. Nice casual drive in the mountains.

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
If you have access to a 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicle drive to Fairplay and cross Mosquito Pass to Leadville. Then drive to Avon or Keystone and back to Breckenridge. Cool scenic drive and not too hard on the knee.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks everyone! Will look into all of this. laugh

It's about like this:

"Do you puff peters?"

"Hell no!"

"NAZI!!!"

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Lets see: Ice rink, mountain bike trails, good food and probably some live music, fantastic scenery, fishing, hiking, did I mention fantastic scenery and the weather... Golf, horseback riding, ATV rentals... I am sure there are a few more things other than shopping...

NRA Life Member
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Smoke weed and set the woods on fire like the rest of the losers. It cost money to fight the fires, its a win win.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (1lesfox, 10gaugemag, 11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 53 invisible), 2,548 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,360
Posts18,468,953
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.