Print Thread
Hop To
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Okay, I am not really looking for whiskey recommendations, my whiskey drinking days are long past.
But, am looking to trade trucks this fall and will get a 3/4 ton. The choice is between Ford (front runner right now), and Dodge.
Pulling power for either is more than adequate, and am even considering the gasser engine in the Ford, which would be adequate. Would look at a late model used if there was enough price difference to justify loosing the warranty and the possibility of buying someone else's troubles.Most likely will be new, though.
Reliability over the long term is very important, long term costs are important, including trade in value. Noise level in the cab is important.
I have researched trucks until I have blisters on my fingers, and the only thing I have decided is, that no matter what truck I buy, if I have a problem with it, I can say to myself, "I should have known better than to buy this truck".
HELP! ADVICE!

Royce

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Used truck prices are IMHO way too high, but it is what it is. I can't stomach paying more than 1/2 the new price for a used vehicle, and by the time a truck get's to that point it's got quite a few years and 100k on the odo.

I've driven quite a few ford trucks, but have only owned a Dodge. 2500 diesel bought new in '06 and now has ~112k on the odo. It's been a relatively solid truck, I did all the maintenance and the repairs to date have been:
Water pump at 54k, it was faster to change it myself than take it to the shop.
Auto tranny started shifting weird around 90k, took it to a transmission shop and they replaced a sensor and solenoid ~$500 parts and $500 labor.
Last winter a high pressure fuel line cracked. First time I was stranded and not too bad of a repair ~$250 parts and labor.
The biggest repair was just last week. The one weakness of the dodge trucks is the front end needs a rebuild at about 100k, and that set me back about $3k.

The cummins engine is great, highway mileage is good at ~21, towing my boat drops to ~16 and city driving really sucks the diesel and I'm in the 13-15 range.

If I had to replace the truck I'd probably go with a gasser. Towing my boat is a very small percentage of the miles I put on it every year and I can live with worse mileage on those occasions. Though going up a mountain pass at 65 and being able to accelerate would be missed.

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I tow an 8000 pound camper, plus bikes, inflatable boat and motor, and lots of other gear for 10 to 15000 miles a year, a lot of it over rough roads and dirts roads. The front end on Dodges is an issue, because with my use I am afraid I'd go through a lot of front ends. Trouble is, it seems every truck and/or engine has issues of some kind. I am not crazy about the idea that on the new Fords you have to remove the from end to work on the engine.
There is a 2011 Ford diesel in town that I could get for about $28,000 ( 78,000 miles) but that doesn't seem like enough of a discount off new (can get a new XL for about $40,000), given the better financing and warranty with the new one. And that's the best used deal I have found.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That was the conclusion I came to when I got my truck. Used ones were $20k with over 100k on the odo. My truck was the last '06 on the lot, a base model and I was able to knock the $40k sticker price down to $32k.

Every vehicle I've owned whether bought new or used required a rather large infusion of cash somewhere between 100-130k on the odo.

I could stomach the sting on a used vehicle with 50-60k as I figure I'd get a couple years of use before the sting of a major repair, but with 80k on the clock you could be stung the first year of ownership. If I can get a used vehicle for 1/3-1/4 price of new, then I can stomach a $2-5k repair bill after a few years use. But paying 2/3 the cost of new a major repair bill could get you be into it for the cost of a new vehicle, and still have an old vehicle with no warranty.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
People seem to want insane prices for used diesel pickups, there doesn't seem to be a significant price drop until they're worn out. The used prices on a diesel pickup are so high that I can't see buying a used one, if I were to buy another one I'd likely buy new.

Gas trucks are another story, the prices seem to nosedive pretty quickly with them. I could see getting a good deal on a gasser for one a few years old.

I'd give the edge to Ford slightly in the reliability category and the resale value will be better. The dodge cummins engine is better than the ford diesel though, so if going diesel I'd pick dodge.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Just my opinion but here goes

Nicest interior...Ram
Quietest...Chevy
Smoothest riding...Chevy
Best gas engine...Ram
Best Diesel engine...Ram and Chevy (tie)
Best HD transmission...Chevy (Ram aisin may be ok too, it is too early to tell)
Most durable front end...Ford

I would go Ram or Chevy/GM. My 2011 Chevy 2500hd is a better truck than my fathers 2011 2500hd ram. Stiffer frame, higher payload, smoother riding, etc. of course, GM basically came out with an entirely new HD in 2011 sans body style and interior.

The new ram has an entirely different design, while the GM got a facelift but has the same guts as the 2011. If I had to rebuy today, I would look hard at the Ram with the 6.4 for a gasser. If I wanted diesel, it would be a coin flip between Ram and Chevy for me.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
Used truck prices are IMHO way too high, but it is what it is. I can't stomach paying more than 1/2 the new price for a used vehicle, and by the time a truck get's to that point it's got quite a few years and 100k on the odo.

I've driven quite a few ford trucks, but have only owned a Dodge. 2500 diesel bought new in '06 and now has ~112k on the odo. It's been a relatively solid truck, I did all the maintenance and the repairs to date have been:
Water pump at 54k, it was faster to change it myself than take it to the shop.
Auto tranny started shifting weird around 90k, took it to a transmission shop and they replaced a sensor and solenoid ~$500 parts and $500 labor.
Last winter a high pressure fuel line cracked. First time I was stranded and not too bad of a repair ~$250 parts and labor.
The biggest repair was just last week. The one weakness of the dodge trucks is the front end needs a rebuild at about 100k, and that set me back about $3k.

The cummins engine is great, highway mileage is good at ~21, towing my boat drops to ~16 and city driving really sucks the diesel and I'm in the 13-15 range.

If I had to replace the truck I'd probably go with a gasser. Towing my boat is a very small percentage of the miles I put on it every year and I can live with worse mileage on those occasions. Though going up a mountain pass at 65 and being able to accelerate would be missed.

Interesting... My story is the flip side of your story:
Being a cheap SOB, I bought a used 2006 Dodge Ram 2500/Cummins in 2011. I think it is even the same color. I bought it for ~20K with 112K miles on it.

Had to add a block heater plug (just the cord) as it was a SC truck.

I've not replaced the water pump on it, but did have to replace the one on my 04. Under $60 and about two hours, but I think I could do it in 30 minutes now.

Transmission started 1-2 hunt. Replaced gov pressure solenoid with an "upgraded" version. Then swapped back to OEM solenoid and replaced sensor at the same time, because the upgraded solenoid caused a weird "harsh downshift" thing that was annoying. ($67 for the upgrade, $128 to switch back and replace the sensor while I was in there). Maybe 2 hours per swap - including dropping pan and re-filling.

Lost a tie-rod end on Denali Highway. Awkward! A buddy came to the rescue and brought the $20 part up, and we replaced it. Saved a couple thousand dollar towing bill. I replaced the rest of the tie rods/ends when I got home, and want to say I ended up spending $600 more in parts and most of an afternoon on my back in the gravel.

What all was included in your front end rebuild? I know Dodge likes to use a weird hub/bearing deal that is expensive, but haven't had to mess with them...yet.

I'm at ~143K. I'm sure I'll be building a transmission before too long too.

To the OP: I am a cheap bastard, so tend to look used and tend to walk away from deals if I don't like the deal. I've never put much faith in dealerships and less in warranties. There are tons of used trucks out there - if it looks used up, it is very likely used up.

Diesel was a must-have for me. I can't stand chevy's, didn't want to play in Ford's 6.0/6.4 minefield, and couldn't afford a truck new enough to have their 6.7. I looked for: 5.9 Cummins, quad cab, long bed. Would have been nice to get a 6-speed, but I'm happy with where I ended up.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Get it over with and save your whiskey! Buy a FORD!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Well, it's all over- Went and bought a new 2014 Ford 350 Diesel. Dodge dealer in town and the Chevy dealer, too is Lithia, and in my opinion, Lithia makes Jesse James look honest. Think this truck might last me a long time-
Royce

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
good choice. as a former ford and current dodge owner, you made the right choice. granted mine aren't diesels but the 05 dodge i currently have will be my last. powerless, lightweight, junky rust bucket. it makes a different noise every time i start it up. i too faced the used vs new thing a few years ago and went used. when my daughter graduates college next year, i will be getting a new ford. probably a f250 gasser.

My diploma is a DD214
IC B3

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I heard one should never mess with a Dodge owner.

He's already mad... shocked

DF

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
A fellow told me this... "there are a higher percentage of Dodges still on the road than any other truck-(But, they are towing them in as fast as they can").
But he is much more of a wise azz than I am. smile

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Congrats on the purchase. I hate to buy new, but the used prices are insane. Enjoy your truck.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Somebody must like the Dodge diesels, my '06 is worth what I paid for it back in '06, according to the Kelly Blue Book.
All that aside, Ford's F150 is the most popular pickup truck out there according to sales figures. So odviously they know how to make a good truck. E

R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
I think a perfectly objective test would show that there is not a lot of difference in Ford, Chevy or Dodge, all things considered. If there was, there would be more of a price differential in them. One big concern for me is that if I bought Dodge or Chevy, I'd have to deal with Lithia, and in my opinion they are crooks, at least the ones in this town.
I hadn't wanted a diesel, I would have bought another Tundra, for sure.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Congrats, Fred! Where did you buy it?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
R
Royce Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Bought it at Helena Motors, here in town, (MT), because I bought my Tundra there and felt happy with their service.
Sorry it took so long to answer, have been out on VancouverIsland with no internet.

Last edited by Royce; 09/07/14.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No worries. Wondered if you got it up here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (10Glocks, 1beaver_shooter, 1234, 1eyedmule, 1Akshooter, 10gaugemag, 61 invisible), 2,560 guests, and 1,305 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,561
Posts18,453,703
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.