-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Heard of them,though I've not seen of those either...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Not in the price range you're looking at, but if you stumble across a Zeiss Diatal 6x42, they are, when coupled with the ASV+ turrets, the best of the 6x42s I have used. Tracked accurately and reliably and the glass is absolutely superb.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by GrimJim
You might consider the Meopta Meopro 6x42. I like mine. The price for new ones has gone up since last year but Cameraland has open box demo units in your price range.

Cheers,

GrimJim

The Meopta keeps being brought up. If you don't mind, I would like to hear your findings on them. Specifically- how many have you used? How long have you used them? How many rounds through each? All off the bench or have you beat them up? Long term tracking with BIG adjustments? Long term zero retention?

Thank you.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I have a 3-9 Meopro on an AR. The outside objective ring came loose, but other than that it is still going after a few hundred rounds.

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
A serious question instead of a snide comment. You deserve an answer.

They were introduced in early 2013. I have about nine right now. I replaced all my Zeiss 3-9X40 Conquests which I bought when I could no longer use the Leupold 6x42. Just loved the Leupold but I could no longer bring them into focus with my latest eye prescription.

Number of shots with the Meoptas-well into the hundreds. Not bad for two seasons with them. I go to the rifle range instead of golfing. I added 40 more this afternoon at the range. Most of my shooting is at the range-load development from the bench and then offhand practice until hunting season. Hunting experience so far is one shot per deer and I hope to keep it that way.

My roughing it days are gone if they ever existed so I can't tell you about a HALO insertion into the wilderness followed by packing the meat and rack out to a river, felling a tree and turning the tree into a canoe with an axe to take me back to civilization.

I went deer hunting last year in the woods. The Meopta worked just fine for a very short shot and for a longer one to the top of a hill. I haven't had a shot in Pennsylvania much over 125-150 yards. Nor in Michigan before that, for that matter. No parallax issues at those ranges.

I also wouldn't know about tracking and POI/POA. I sight in for the typical range where I would be hunting. If I see the deer I want, I take a rest, put the crosshairs in the right spot and squeeze the trigger. No laser rangefinder, no turret twisting, no GPS reading to calculate elevation above sea level , no reading of temperature and air pressure. It tracks fine but after I sight in, I am done. I can't tell you how the Leupolds I had tracked and adjusted for POI/POA at long range either.

In 1999, I attended a urban warfare demonstration at Alisoville in Camp Pendleton. Afterwards they let the mere civilians talk to the USMC participants. I walked up to the scout sniper team. They used a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in 7.62x51; I use a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in .308 Winchester. They said they like to engage between 500 and 800 meters. At ranges less than 500 meters they are susceptible to lesser rifle; over 800 meters the 7.62 runs out of steam. I said that if I saw a deer at 200 yards I would take the shot but I would like to get a little closer.

What I can tell you is that it gives a bright clear picture of what you are shooting at in the woods at dawn, at dusk and in the darker shadows-which is what I need from it. So did my Leupolds. I don't buy them for long range performance I buy them to see detail in the deep woods-details like how many points are really on that buck when you hunt under point restrictions.

The original poster said he was looking at 6x42 scopes and asked for comments. He got some friendly comments which appear to amuse laughing boy in Alaska. Not everyone hunts in the same terrain or in the same manner. If the original poster hunts in the woods I have some useful observations; if he shoots at longer ranges, I don't, because POI/POA tracking and such, are completely irrelevant to me. I just don't care. And why should I.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm crying I'm laughing soooooooo phuqqing hard!!!

You REALLY get after it.

BEST gawdamned optics "critique" ever!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A serious question instead of a snide comment. You deserve an answer.

They were introduced in early 2013. I have about nine right now. I replaced all my Zeiss 3-9X40 Conquests which I bought when I could no longer use the Leupold 6x42. Just loved the Leupold but I could no longer bring them into focus with my latest eye prescription.

Number of shots with the Meoptas-well into the hundreds. Not bad for two seasons with them. I go to the rifle range instead of golfing. I added 40 more this afternoon at the range. Most of my shooting is at the range-load development from the bench and then offhand practice until hunting season. Hunting experience so far is one shot per deer and I hope to keep it that way.

My roughing it days are gone if they ever existed so I can't tell you about a HALO insertion into the wilderness followed by packing the meat and rack out to a river, felling a tree and turning the tree into a canoe with an axe to take me back to civilization.

I went deer hunting last year in the woods. The Meopta worked just fine for a very short shot and for a longer one to the top of a hill. I haven't had a shot in Pennsylvania much over 125-150 yards. Nor in Michigan before that, for that matter. No parallax issues at those ranges.

I also wouldn't know about tracking and POI/POA. I sight in for the typical range where I would be hunting. If I see the deer I want, I take a rest, put the crosshairs in the right spot and squeeze the trigger. No laser rangefinder, no turret twisting, no GPS reading to calculate elevation above sea level , no reading of temperature and air pressure. It tracks fine but after I sight in, I am done. I can't tell you how the Leupolds I had tracked and adjusted for POI/POA at long range either.

In 1999, I attended a urban warfare demonstration at Alisoville in Camp Pendleton. Afterwards they let the mere civilians talk to the USMC participants. I walked up to the scout sniper team. They used a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in 7.62x51; I use a Remington 700 short action rifle in a McMillan stock with a Hart barrel chambered in .308 Winchester. They said they like to engage between 500 and 800 meters. At ranges less than 500 meters they are susceptible to lesser rifle; over 800 meters the 7.62 runs out of steam. I said that if I saw a deer at 200 yards I would take the shot but I would like to get a little closer.

What I can tell you is that it gives a bright clear picture of what you are shooting at in the woods at dawn, at dusk and in the darker shadows-which is what I need from it. So did my Leupolds. I don't buy them for long range performance I buy them to see detail in the deep woods-details like how many points are really on that buck when you hunt under point restrictions.

The original poster said he was looking at 6x42 scopes and asked for comments. He got some friendly comments which appear to amuse laughing boy in Alaska. Not everyone hunts in the same terrain or in the same manner. If the original poster hunts in the woods I have some useful observations; if he shoots at longer ranges, I don't, because POI/POA tracking and such, are completely irrelevant to me. I just don't care. And why should I.

The Helen Keller Scope R&D Chronicles!..................

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
One of the nice things about the campfire is that you can block people.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Stupid Phuqqers REALLY like to Imaginary Pretend that Ignore.

Great story!...............

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Stupid Phuqqers REALLY like to Imaginary Pretend that Ignore.

Great story!...............

Stick: I just posted this question about a 6x42 rifle scope.

You Alaska guys, now you are sounding just like Boxer, are you his other posting buddy ? Or just another same moron
under another posting name.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Point out the answers that were too "vague" or "tricky" to follow.

I'm not buying that she's Ignoring anything either...which just might add to the humor.

Hint....................

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Point out the answers that were too "vague" or "tricky" to follow.

I'm not buying that she's Ignoring anything either...which just might add to the humor.

Hint....................

The question was about which 6x42 scope. Have you heard
about that size scope? Stay on subject.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I'm fairly certain Stick has provided a plethora of info concerning the 6x42 scope, over and over again. Gleaning said info, shouldn't be that tough

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by KH1473
I'm fairly certain Stick has provided a plethora of info concerning the 6x42 scope, over and over again. Gleaning said info, shouldn't be that tough

KH:
I was just looking for some advice about a 6x42 riflescope.

Where do you fit in.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by Farmboy1

You Alaska guys, now you are sounding just like Boxer, are you his other posting buddy ? Or just another same moron
under another posting name.

Hey, that's funny.

P.S. Buy a Leupold and don't look back.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Here's my point, hopefully clearer this time. I wanted info on said scope, I read Stick's posts relating to said scope, and I got all the info I needed.
Sometimes you have to dig a bit, read between the lines. I guarantee all the info you could want will be there.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
There is another 6x42 in town these days, but no flies on the Leupold. Got tags to punch, good luck guys.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I don't buy them for long range performance I buy them to see detail in the deep woods-details like how many points are really on that buck when you hunt under point restrictions.

That statement alone is enough to get you uninvited from about any place I have ever hunted. You see so poorly you cannot focus a Leupold and do not see the absolute need for good binocs?

If it were not so sad it would be amazing...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You are soooooooooooo far behind the curve,that is AMAZING..............

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Stick's 6X Scope choice (I've been taking notes and applying same)

Leupold 6X VX3

M1 Elevation Turret installed by Leupold
Parallax adjustment ring right in front of occular - same general place power adjustment rings are found on variable scopes.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

711 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 160user, 19rabbit52, 16Racing, 69 invisible), 3,114 guests, and 1,355 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,147
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.