Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My dad retired at 62 and sold his house in the city and moved to the lake. Lived there for 18 years until his health gave out. I didn't think I would want to follow in his footsteps, but I am thinking about doing it. Anyone have any advice, good or bad?

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Depends upon the lake.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
As much as I like fishing and would really like a retreat on a lake for weekends or week long trips, I have way too many interests and past times to spend retirement on a lake house.

Your mileage may very.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Come down to Lake Travis outside Austin. 69ft. low. People's docks look like little decks out in the wilderness.

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind that you're everyone's best friend once you have a lake home and you'll spend a lot of time and money keeping it up for others to enjoy.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
my generation won't get to retire, so I envy those who can now.

I agree with Walt, everyone I knows who has a lake house suddenly is everyone's new best friend.

Beware of any old man in a profession where one usually dies young.

Calm seas don't make sailors.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I did. Bought a lake house on Lake Ozark(quiet end) in 2000, put a few bucks in it and retired in 2001. Still have it but don't claim it as a residence. Just got back from a two week stay. I have no intention of selling any time soon. Best investment I ever made.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My choices are Oklahoma lakes Tenkiller or Broken Bow, both clear water lakes with year around tailwater trout streams below the dam (Illinois River and Lower Mt. Fork) or Arkansas Beaver Lake with trout stream tailwater White River. The idea is to provide a place close to my kids (in OKC) where they can visit and bring the grand kids . . . not to mention the great hunting and fishing in the vicinity. Have also thought of buying a small cabin and just keeping my house in OKC and visiting the cabin whenever I want.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Am thinking of the same thing, OrangeOkie. I live in Edmond and would really like to have a lake house, somewhere...

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

A
add Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

I am surprised.

Many of the outstate plates up here in the upper lakes region (MN) in the summer, resort months, are OK.

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
OK has a buttload of lakes.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My choices are Oklahoma lakes Tenkiller or Broken Bow, both clear water lakes with year around tailwater trout streams below the dam (Illinois River and Lower Mt. Fork) or Arkansas Beaver Lake with trout stream tailwater White River. The idea is to provide a place close to my kids (in OKC) where they can visit and bring the grand kids . . . not to mention the great hunting and fishing in the vicinity. Have also thought of buying a small cabin and just keeping my house in OKC and visiting the cabin whenever I want.

That is an awfully good point. One way to make sure that kids and grandkids spend time with you if far away is to have lake access. My father even had one in North Dakota and it worked that way.

Norman Solberg
International lawyer, lately for 25 years in Japan, now working on trusts in the US, the 3rd greatest tax haven. NRA Life Member for over 50 years, NRA Endowment (2014), Patron (2016).
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

I haven't retired yet, but I can give you some information on Broken Bow.

There is no lake front private property on Broken Bow. If you can find something within three or four miles of a ramp, you will be doing good. The Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex has found Broken Bow and the Texans are buying up everything within a reasonable distance of Beavers Bend for astronomical prices.

Other than hunting and fishing, there isn't a whole lot to do in the area. Assuming that there is a Mrs. Orange Okie, she might find adjustment from OKC to Broken Bow to be tough, if she isn't the outdoors type.

The closest metro area (and decent health care) is in Texarkana, two hours away.

ego operor non tutela
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dad retired at 62 and sold his house in the city and moved to the lake. Lived there for 18 years until his health gave out. I didn't think I would want to follow in his footsteps, but I am thinking about doing it. Anyone have any advice, good or bad?

Spain is out?

Sycamore

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sycamore

Spain is out?

Sycamore

ha ha ha . . . no Spain is still in the mix. My wife (being from Spain) prefers that idea. We like different things. She likes being around alot of people. I like solitude and tranquility and flora and fauna.

Here's an idea I had for Broken Bow Lake in OK . . . (15 acres)

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=sJu8FwSOedw[/video]

. . . and here's another for the Beaver Lake area in Arkansas . . .

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Gadfly

I haven't retired yet, but I can give you some information on Broken Bow.

There is no lake front private property on Broken Bow. If you can find something within three or four miles of a ramp, you will be doing good. The Dallas/Ft. Worth metroplex has found Broken Bow and the Texans are buying up everything within a reasonable distance of Beavers Bend for astronomical prices.

Other than hunting and fishing, there isn't a whole lot to do in the area. Assuming that there is a Mrs. Orange Okie, she might find adjustment from OKC to Broken Bow to be tough, if she isn't the outdoors type.

The closest metro area (and decent health care) is in Texarkana, two hours away.

Good points. As Corps lakes, neither allows lake-front homes.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Lake front lots in Georgia are available. Hunting on state land and private land is near by, with a deer season that runs from the middle of September (Bow season, rifle is middle of October) to the middle of January. Golf is year round, if you are one of those that is so inclined. The lakes in GA don't get hard in the winter either.

Harry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Colorado1135
my generation won't get to retire, so I envy those who can now.

I agree with Walt, everyone I knows who has a lake house suddenly is everyone's new best friend.
damn I was just gettin ready to post that

I'm a slave to a $300 a month phone bill.

The 1970s man put a hundred acres on a 20yr note with that. laugh

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

354 members (260Remguy, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 264mag, 270winchester, 10gaugeman, 30 invisible), 2,487 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,598
Posts18,454,449
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.