Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by bbassi
I've also heard of guys using them as scent bombs in the fall with doe pee on a played out pad. has anyone tried that? It sounds like a smart idea, especially in freezing temps.

Haven't tried it, but makes sense, the heat would help disperse the scent...not sure I'd want a cloud of burnt doe pee in the tree with me.

I like mine, seems to help a bunch in the wet areas in the early Fall. The pad area does get pretty warm, just watch how you hang it on your pack or tree.

Last edited by AH64guy; 08/28/14.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by bbassi
I've also heard of guys using them as scent bombs in the fall with doe pee on a played out pad. has anyone tried that? It sounds like a smart idea, especially in freezing temps.
that's classified info Mister. Wasn't going to share and just let em wander outside the promised land for another 40 years

But yeah, I do that with old pads on a second Cell a couple hundreds yards away.
Also, I have laid a previous year's tarsal hock on there and let it simmer. (More classified info)
grin

(Not to bbassi)
Hey, just soak yourselves down with deet, stop at the waffle house in your $500 schnee boots and slop some diesel fuel on yourself too. Go ahead and strap your deer stand over your exhaust pipe on your atv with your "Treestand Buddy"

Good luck

Oh wait, is it really luck when you pay a guide to lead you to the corn pile?

Sarcasm button- no vulvas were intended to be bruised

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this may be this first thread I've seen on 24cf with everyone agreeing on something. No panties bunched up, no GFY's. crazy.

Dave

�The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely to be the one who dropped it.� Lou Holtz

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
this may be this first thread I've seen on 24cf with everyone agreeing on something. No panties bunched up, no GFY's. crazy.

GFY laugh

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I hunt in South Florida. We have insect critters during hunting season. All year in fact. We use them and they work. If you want to slop deet all over then be my guest. But this is much more pleasant for sitting on stand. I purchased mine approx five years ago. I havent bought any deet or insect lotion since. I keep a bottle of insect juice in my gear bag but its six years old at least. A butane cylinder lasts a long time. The portable unit requires no batteries. I bought a box of the butane and a large box of the wafers. Its the one dang gadget that really works.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

You guys that have them, do you find that running one unit is enough?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
so far one unit i think covers 10 foot area i also use when outside bbq i set 2 up about 15 feet apart to cover sitting area.But only do this if bugs are bad i haven't had to use one thiks year yet but always kept handy

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
tjm--one is all I ever need to use for stand hunting in early fall.

Paul

'Tis far better to walk alone than to follow a crowd going the wrong way.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just make sure you "click" it on before you get to your stand....That click cost me a wallhanger one day acoupla years ago!!!! It was very loud!!!!!

"Hunting, fishing, roping, working, sleeping, eating. Not always in that order."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They also sell a clip on insert that uses a special much thicker unscented pad specifically for applying attractant or cover scent.

Seems it was +/- $6 at the LGS.

Google ThermaScent.

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by tjm10025

You guys that have them, do you find that running one unit is enough?

Yup...I use mine all the time. Squirrel season here is the ultimate test. You won't regret getting one. Get the belt clip holster for it...and enjoy the outdoors.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you want to see some disagreement, check out the reviews on amazon.com.

I'm better when I move.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

Sorry guys, certainly weren't my intentions. grin

Black Cows Matter!
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
does the Thermacell unit produce a noticeable odor when on? (like a chemical/bug-spray smell?)

thinkin i'm gonna have to have one of these, we hunt a lot of squirrels in a creek bottom/swamp that is a skeeter paradise...

============================================================

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No discernible odor�.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you out your nose close to it you can faintly smell it but not "chenically". Also in dead silence there is a very slight "hiss". As to odor or noise I've had turkeys, elk and Blacktails all < 10yds away with nary a glance

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

86 members (7887mm08, 35, 7x57Hunter, 44mc, Ashworth, 11 invisible), 1,458 guests, and 849 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,260
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.