Print Thread
Hop To
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Last year about this time I picked up a guy (older than me!) about 7 miles down the beach who had bogged his ATV down 15 miles farther down, and was about done-in walking back.

10 days or so ago I met a guy (not much younger than me!) a mile farther down the beach than the last guy. He said he'd bogged out down at Arctic Circle- some 35 miles farther down the beach, and had been walking for two days. He asked for water, which I had. He was looking a little peaked, so I also gave him a couple breakfast bars, a Snickers, and a ride back to town.

Last night I was all nekkid and climbing into bed when I saw Northwest Aviation's floatplane on the lagoon out the bedroom window.

"Cool", I thought, "they just brought in some hunters from camp". But the prop wasn't moving, and I didn't see anyone in the cabin. Went out to the living room and binoced the plane. No visible pepe in the cabin- and the plane was slowly drifting backward, motor into the wind.

I called 911, then on their advice, the radio station (no answer). Ran next door to Lew Pagel, Kotzebue's Finest (and only) Chiropracter. We jumped into his boat moored 30 yards out back, and zipped down to the plane, now half way down the lagoon. Off the front of the left float there was a dragging line which I reeled in to find a 4 foot, 2" pipe, (picket turned sea anchor) on the end of the 20 foot rope. Matching rope on the right pontoon, no pipe, so I tied them together as a bridal and hitched my 10 foot dog leash to it (only thing handy at quick notice! smile ), and Lew put a tow on it.

Wasn't working well, so we went to plan B, coming up alongside the left float, which had a slack-rope attached to fore and aft cleats. Using that to hold the plane alongside, we begin to tow it into the lower lagoon launch place, which we had just drifted past, a half mile below where the plane came loose just above our residences. There were flashing cop lights there and they had been hailing us on the bull-horn, but we couldn't understand... About half way in, a coming-back-from-camp boat came thru under Second Bridge (we are clever in our naming of places here...) , beached, then took on someone at the landing, and came back out. The pilot. Hence the bull-horn.. Cops also had both my and Lew's cell numbers, but we had cleverly left the phones in our houses....

Pilot boarded the plane, dressed the loose lines and got into the cabin as we eased off a bit on standby. The way this guy's day was going.... but the engine fired right up, no sweat. Still had 300-400 yards of drift to the lee-shore.

End of excitement.

Likely would have been more excitement out there had I not taken the time to get (sort-of) dressed before going over to Lew's. No socks, underwear, or shirt, just boots, jeans and a medium weight rain-proof hunting jacket.

Might have been a bit uncomfortable nekkid in that cold rain and light wind, too.... smile

Anyone know the salvage value on a 172 or 180? I don't know my planes, much... smile

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

GB1

L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Oh yeah. I forgot the part about Tripper Lab (all 90 lbs) on the back rack of the ATV on our way back to town 10 days ago...

He wasn't giving up an inch of space...If I'm going to get that intimate with an Eskimo, I'd rather it be female than a two-day walking guy... smile

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds like the knuckle head with the airplane owes you, big time. Were you there when Buck Maxson (sp?) took Jim Betts out in his 206 on floats to pull a guy out of the surf? That was something else.

It's not the destination...
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Not familiar with that one. But there is all sorts of stuff that happens in the tulies that never gets wide-spread...

If some of this stuff happened in Anchorage or South-Central, it would make national news.

We kinda like it this way... smile

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

las:

Jim Kincaid owes you a favor.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Wonder what Jim Ruud would have thought?

Truly regret not going on a drop off moose hunt with that guy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great pics......oh wait- there were none were there? (But I swear I could see the whole thing!)

While that situation sounds like it could/should have been avoided, all too many of these types of things happen all too frequently it seems, just because the odds get tested so many times "out there".

It's always nice to get the upper hand before it's your turn. smile (This is a real-world "pay-it-forward" situation that a lot of folks could learn from. Hopefully the pilot will remember your favor when he comes across someone else in need.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
It's always nice to get the upper hand before it's your turn

That's my plan! smile BTDT- and am not hesitant to cashing in on it.

PS. Lew's cop buddy on shore said he got pics.... As said, we neglected the finer points. smile

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Funny story! smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Only if you ain't nekkid.

I wuz traumatized... smile

Probably 50 other guys here have done similar stuff n the last couple years, but they ain't on Campfire.... smile

It's the lay of the land.

"Reality TV" has no clue... how can it, being scripted? It ain't all that dramatic - just what is.

But, damn - it's fun!

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
good play on stopping a fleeing seaplane in mid-self-evacuation!
No thanks from anyone yet?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
would think your drinkin would be free for a good bit las

but can imagine the guy being a bit shell shocked to realize how close he'd come to disaster without you and the chiro's quick response.

if indeed you're not offered ANYTHING by the guy, remind me never to fly with him. (grin)

now here's my "rescue" story as a contrast to yours las.

headed back from a great day at CHSR yesterday, we come upon a minivan stopped in our lane (of course headed back to FBKS) with the emergency lights flashing. "Great" sez I to myself, "here go my plans to get home at a decent time and fix the boys dinner"

pull around them and pull over and get my blinkers blinking, run back in the light rain to see what the trouble is with the van.

inside are 3-4 lil Jap lady tourists with some kind of Tom-Tom
"what seems to be the problem?" I query

I want to go to CHSR, is this the right way?

holy F me, you stopped in the middle of the road, with a side road not 15 feet from you to figure out directions?????

told em they needed to turn around and go back about 35 miles

as we pulled out, I looked in the rearview and saw her turn around in the road, again rather than using the side road and the car that had to wait for her to make her maneuver.

lol a tale of two cities,

and NO las, she didn't offer me a BJ or anything else either! (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The goal of those Japanese tourists is to conceive a child under the northern lights........was it cloudy?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Las, good on you! That's what Alaska is about, a few folks that should take more care in what they do, and a few folks that go out of there way to take care of them.

Speaking of tourrorists, a couple times this summer I came out of church to be greated by guests to our state. We're right off the Seward hwy leaving town. I had one querry me about a note on their map about the scenic interest. I said the note indicated the entire Seward hwy was a scenic road but he kept insisting I tell him what the point of interest was where the words were placed on the map.

Have had plenty of people pull stupid chit in the middle of the road, sadly most of them live here. Have seen some flat out stoopid chit right out my office window on a weekly basis, people driving the wrong side on a divided road, swinging way inside on a turn almost hitting pedestrians, even a drug bust in the parking lot across the street. City life...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VernAK
The goal of those Japanese tourists is to conceive a child under the northern lights........was it cloudy?

both the lady in question and myself, our child producing years are OVER! grin

but man there was this one hottie lil Japanese chick at the hot springs! But I didn't notice her cause I was there with the missus. blush

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A buddy happened upon a guy in a camper on the Parks just south of Denali. Camped in the northbound lane, at night (not dark, but like 10PM). Curtains pulled, no lights on... just camping.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
An insurance adjuster friend had a case where a family ran out of gas turning around on a narrow road, just over the brow of a hill. The truckful of youths that hit it was likely intentionally airborne when they tee-boned the car full of sleeping folks...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
las Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit
Originally Posted by VernAK

both the lady in question and myself, our child producing years are OVER! grin

but man there was this one hottie lil Japanese chick at the hot springs! But I didn't notice her cause I was there with the missus. blush

I've been not noticing stuff that I'd notice if I noticed things like that for nearly 38 years now. And the wife has always noticed that I'm not noticing that....

I seem to have lost the thread here...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
oh you made the and the mrs. both chuckle las

you're a wordsmith pard

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

92 members (338Rules, 16penny, 338reddog, 280shooter, 15 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 843 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,056
Posts18,463,227
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.