Print Thread
Hop To
L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
This is a question from someone who is late in life ready to take up a new vice. My wife and I were recently driving through Yellowstone N.P. and stopped along a river to have lunch. I believe it was the Hot Pot ? river. There was a sign at the campsite that said Flyfishing Only. I wondered does this mean fly only for bait, or technique and equipment? I am just beginning to research equipment and techniques for western stream, river and lake fishing and need to know the minimum one would need to get started. We travel frequently in Idaho, Montana and Wyoming and need to travel light. Any guidance to a total rookie would be greatly appreciated.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Advice from the internet is not a way to get introduced to flyfishing. It is the "Firehole" River and you should have stopped, I was there fishing it.

I taught flyfishing at MSU for a few years and would gladly spend the time to get you atarted, but a keyboard doesn't allow enough time or detail to give you the help necessary to get started and eventually finish.

Feel free to PM and we can talk about it over the phone or something, and in the meantime if you decide to come back this way let me know and we could take some time on the river...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Regulations vary from state to state but generally it's about what's on the terminal end of the line. There's varying definitions of what is an acceptable "fly" and regs regarding weights/sinkers but I don't recall ever seeing a reg pertaining to rods, reels, lines, or technique other than no snagging.

Usually, an acceptable alternative method of fly fishing can be done with a spinning rod, a fly bobber, and a fly.

If you want to start fly fishing the best way is to find a fly shop or club that offers lessons. There is no substitute for some hands on guidance in learning how to cast, tie knots, advice on equipment, etc, etc.

L
lvmiker Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
L
The Hot Pot River? I knew I should have consulted the map before posting. Shrapnel, thank you for the incredibly generous offer I am humbled and will definitely be in touch. FishHead you are right I definitely need hands on guidance. I do not yet know enough to even know what I need. I am thinking of starting w/ a simple lightweight spinning outfit because that is what I am most familiar with. I just returned from a 3 week road trip and realized that I was passing by some great opportunities to learn something new and have fun outdoors. thanks again gents.
The Hot Pot river? I amaze myself sometimes.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
One thing you should be aware of, once you start flyfishing with a fly rod, most every other method will fall by the wayside. For myself, the very act of casting with a flyrod is very relaxing. Give me a stream with a few fish in it and a flyrod and I am a happy guy.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do love fishing with my fly rods but I would never limit myself to one method of fishing or one species of fish.

I also came to fly fishing latter in life. When I decided to take it up I found some experienced fishermen to teach me how and what to use.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Prairie dog shooter, do you use a fly rod much for those Texas fish like white bass, crappie, and bluegill?? I love fishing for nice bluegills with a fly rod.. But in Wy. they are not common or very large... Looked like those sand bass could be taken on a streamer fly..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Advice from the internet is not a way to get introduced to flyfishing. It is the "Firehole" River and you should have stopped, I was there fishing it.

I taught flyfishing at MSU for a few years and would gladly spend the time to get you atarted, but a keyboard doesn't allow enough time or detail to give you the help necessary to get started and eventually finish.

Feel free to PM and we can talk about it over the phone or something, and in the meantime if you decide to come back this way let me know and we could take some time on the river...

I would DEFINITELY take him up on this offer asap! Fly classes are not cheap and you could learn faster by avoiding bad habbits to begine with instead of having to go back and overcome them. Plus you could learn trick that would otherwise take years to find on your own.

Very nice of the offer Sharpnel, this is what the fire is all about.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Prairie dog shooter, do you use a fly rod much for those Texas fish like white bass, crappie, and bluegill?? I love fishing for nice bluegills with a fly rod.. But in Wy. they are not common or very large... Looked like those sand bass could be taken on a streamer fly..

No, most of my fly fishing is for trout. The closest trout stream to me is a four hour drive. Very rarely I will use a rubber spider to catch bluegills and red ears for catfish bait. But normally I fly fish for trout in other states. There is some put and take trout fishing during the winter months in Texas but it's not my favorite way to fish.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Edmund Burke 1795

"Give me liberty or give me death"
Patrick Henry 1775
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
prairie dog shooter, thanks for the reply.. sometime I am going to give those white bass a try with my fly rod.. bluegills are my favorite, both to catch and eat.. good fishing..

Molon Labe
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I dare say, a 1 pound bluegill on a fly rod is almost as fun as a 5 pound bass on light tackle.

I've never river fished with a fly rod. Grew up lake fishing the weed beds and lilly pads and fly fishing in the early morn or late evening with top water poppers or bass flies was a bomb!

Learn how to do it, enjoy it...but don't stick your nose up in the air and become a fly-fishing snob. You'll miss too many other ways to catch a fish.

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use vintage bamboo rods and fly reels almost exclusively. Brings back the memories of family vacations to Colorado in the 60s. My dad taught me how to cast a fly when I was about eight. Its like riding a bike. The real skill come down to matching the proper weight line, leader, and choosing a fly the fish will bite. It Warning, it is addictive.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

265 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 26 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 934 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,177
Posts18,465,501
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.