Print Thread
Hop To
L
logger Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
On relatively short notice, my wife and I (ok mostly my wife) planned a 12 day visit to Alaska. What made it possible was her brother and sister in law house sitting for us to watch for lightning strikes and forest fires. We drove to Portland and flew nonstop to Anchorage. Stayed that evening and part of the next day in Anchorage and ended up on evening #2 in Talkeetna. Actually saw Mt. McKinley the next morning on our way to Denali NP. Spent a day in the Park and actually went on the Shuttle bus. Saw lots of bears, moose and caribou (and a fox) and had a great driver. Much more enjoyable than we expected. Day 6 and 7 we spent in Fairbanks (which we really enjoyed (our size of a big town)). Had a nice session with Mary Shields and wandered around and saw the sights. The next day was a long travel day with many stops - we went from Fairbanks to Valdez and then back to east of Glenallen. Looped through Anchorage (and another stop at the used book store (Title Wave)) and headed to our cabin in Soldotna. Over the next couple of days we checked out Soldotna, Kenai, Homer and Seward. Really liked Seward. Headed back to Anchorage, spent Saturday at the State Fair and then flew back to Portland and the 4 hour trip home.

Loved the weather (cool and partly cloudy) and the lushness. As opposed to our hot and drought stricken area. Liked the small towns (i.e. Nenana). Good time to go with the tourist season winding down and the mosquitoes tapering off. Didn't fish as we have that opportunity for chinooks and coho close by. Covered about 2300 miles. We are thinking about coming back in the future, but in March and in the Fairbanks area.

Thanks for the suggestions on things to see and do.

GB1

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Happy
Campfire 'Bwana
T

Glad you had a nice trip.......

Spent a week fishin' Seward Aug '12....

Alaska is cooooool...........wet.........and dark....

crazy

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wow, dream trip for sure! The wife and I are planning either a cruise or land trip when I retire in 3 years. Based on your post, the road-trip looks like more fun. Thanks for sharing.

Start young, hunt hard, and enjoy God's bounty.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I live in Nenana ....u drove rite pass me ! did u stop at the overlook (lots of lakes) just out of nenana ?....going north/ as u come up out of the valley ...(15 miles north of naner town is where I'm hideing !)

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
guess we pizzed him off Terry, he didn't stop and say hi in the banks either!

seriously, glad you folks enjoyed your trip logger.

fbks in March???? World Ice Art championships to be sure

Chena Hot springs resort

and don't know of anyone that does it anymore, but if you can rent snowmachines DO!

March is what I call spring here, and it's prime time. Probably my fave time of year, neck and neck with fall

snowmachines allow you every experience from gentle trail riding to being in charge of your own roller coaster if you go to Cantwell or Summit

ahhh March, better than summer any day, no bugs, plenty of light and in good years, powder, powder, powder! Burn baby burn.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
agreed...snow = fun [Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
right thru my toll booth ta boot!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by logger
Over the next couple of days we checked out Soldotna, Kenai, Homer and Seward.

Thanks for the call! wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

647 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 70 invisible), 2,964 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.