Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 1tnhunter
I'm open to suggestions on rifle manufacturers. Kimber is out of my price range. Like to keep it around $750.

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

Rat hole the 750,until you can do it right...which means Montucky...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
GB1

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I'm open to suggestions on rifle manufacturers. Kimber is out of my price range. Like to keep it around $750.

Don't be in a hurry,to make a bad decision.

Rat hole the 750,until you can do it right...which means Montucky...............

not necessarily

[Linked Image]

I will agree with the don't get in a hurry and save part,

and

pre-enjoyed Sakos can be found with a little looking, many times for less and with Sakos, you're typically not playing Kimber-roulette, as the Sakos tend to be shooters.

Best,

GWB

PS: Of the two, IMHO, the 7-08.

Last edited by geedubya; 08/28/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
N
NTG Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
The 7-08 can do what a 243 can do, but it doesn't work the other way around IMO. 7-08 is more versatile.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by mathman
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yikes! You must think highly of the 243. I think of 243's for elk like Americans drinking warm German beer. You gotta have a taste for it, and you gotta want it.

I've consumed a good bit of beer in a number of places in Germany, and it isn't served warm. The beer in Bavaria makes it clear how crappy American mass market beer is.

Back on topic, I'd rather whack an elk with the 7mm08.
yea,what he said

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I do some deer hunting with 22CFs so I'm not opposed to big game hunting with smaller calibers and good bullets. That being said, if I ever get the chance to hunt elk, I probably won't take my 243. I don't own a 7-08(a cartridge I definitely want to try out some day), but I think my 280 would be up to the task.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
IC B2

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Ok guys I'd appreciate some input. I buying a new rifle and I'm flip flopping on the chambering. I'm back and forth between the 243 and 7mm08. I mainly hunt whitetail in TN. But I also have the opportunity to go to Idaho and hunt elk. Elk will not be a regular thing,might only do it once!
Also wouldn't mind doing another black bear hunt or two.
Lets assume I'm a decent shot,and willing to wait for the right shot opportunity to present itself and I know the animals anatomy.Which would you choose?????
Buy one of each.

See,that was easy.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing Sako can begin to hang with a Montucky,in regards to a hard use Utility Rifle...nor even close. If only obviously.

Now for Haybale & Crocket Fence Hopping Golf Cart Safari's,there ain't much that matters,which in fairness probably does add to that humor.

Just saying...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by NTG
The 7-08 can do what a 243 can do, but it doesn't work the other way around IMO. 7-08 is more versatile.

I'd not point one diameter,at something I wouldn't the other.

I'll feign my "surprise",that no one has mentioned a particular bullet...but the gals have gone nuts with headstamp fixations.

Hint.................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
TAINT,

Fingers are crossed,that your Big Dreams come true.

Laughing..............

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Yeah. I agree with Stick. However you are doing it, you're wrong. All of you. Morons. Wrong, morons.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Facts are facts...no need to Whine about it.

Just kidding...I enjoy a GOOD Whine.

Laughing!...............

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Yeah. I agree with Stick. However you are doing it, you're wrong. All of you. Morons. Wrong, morons.

yeah buddy,

course we are...........

a $500 Browning (in 7-08 of course) back in the day.

[Linked Image]

guess I could have paid more for 243 Win. with a synthetic stock,

but I can be happy......... with a 7-08 if I put my mind to it.

JAFO,

GWB

Last edited by geedubya; 08/29/14.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sunshine,Fences and Golf Carts...are not the foundations of a Utility Rifle critique.

That won't "surprise"many folks and NONE with a clue..................(hint)

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Sunshine,Fences and Golf Carts...are not the foundations of a Utility Rifle critique.

That won't "surprise"many folks and NONE with a clue..................(hint)

BS,

IIRC, the OP was asking what caliber,

Not what iteration makes the best boat anchor!!!

JAFO,

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thus the early mention of a particular bullet. Hint.

Your inability to keep pace,is HILARIOUS!...............

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Remington catalogs the .284 150 Core-Lokt as a component. Deadliest mushroom in the woods! They're really magic mushrooms. You shoot something, it dies instantly, and then it is magically resurrected, gets up, and runs off. That way, your hunt doesn't end at the shot, and you can go through the fun over and over again.

Core-Lokt!

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
D
D
First, will you be reloading or shooting factory ammo? There is more factory ammo variety available in .243. Incidentally, .243 (6mm) is the minimum bullet size allowed for big game in Colorado.

If you are reloading, and considering the Tikka T3 Lite, then I would suggest you consider the 26-06. The T3 only comes in long action so you might as well take advantage of it. And, the 25-06 will have somewhat lower recoil than 7mm-08, which is important in a lightweight rifle, but has more punch than the .243. In fact, recoil might suggest the .243 in any case.

For elk, .243 is adequate with correct bullet, distance and shot selection. More on this if anyone is interested.

Dan

Last edited by DANL2; 08/30/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 16bore

This. And learn to reload. 7-08 is good. Either better than a .243 on stuff larger than a whitetail.

But as BS hinted, it's all in the bullet. High BC delivered first class out a fast twist tube.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by utah708
Only you can't really answer the question as posed--that violates the campfire's Prime Directive.

I recommend a 7mm short mag.

In that case�7x57�.duh�..

Elephant was not mentioned...

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Buy a 7-08. It's almost as good as a 7x57 cool

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/30/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

564 members (10gaugeman, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 007FJ, 163bc, 51 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,133 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,604
Posts18,454,831
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.