Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This is all that is readily available here and I like to make a soup, chili, etc., on the weekend so it is just a "reheat and serve" during the late work nights home. Hunks of beef to cube are about nil here so I am looking for hearty soup-like recipes (I know chili so no help needed there) to make using the ground products. I require an azzload of flavor whether Italian, Mexican, Cajun, Spanish... Spices are difficult here but I will be home in Texas in three weeks so I can import, just no liquids, as I only carry a small daypack when I travel.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
GB1

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
what about meat loaf? you can make that on the weekend and eat it for lunch and dinner during the week. if you want soup, perhaps a wedding soup would work. its just basically chicken noodle soup with little meatballs. if i lived over there, i'd have me a big old stash of beef bullion cubes. make burgers half beef/pork and leave them soak in a bath of bullion in the fridge til you're ready.

My diploma is a DD214
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There is always SOS. Throw in some mushrooms and caramelized onions and make it thick enough to stand alone. I assume you can get rice. grin

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stuffed peppers, squash, eggplant. Cabbage rolls. Albondegose(sp)?. Italian wedding soup. Potstickers!!! Enchiladas of some sort or chilequiles out of flat bread? I am sure they don't have a big selection of torts.

Hope some of these help one night when the belly is rumbling and the head says just fry it!

Sean
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Tortilla casserole. Layers of flour tortillas, ground meat ,grated cheese and green enchilada sauce.

Add chopped green chilies to the meat while cooking before layering.
Put in oven at about 350 until all the cheese melts

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brunswick stew

Long Live The Judge

Thinking of moving to Florida? Don't........
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Lasagna if you can get the ingredients? I have a simple recipe if you are interested perfect for your situation.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mix it with some ground lamb and ground veal make a sort of gyro sammie I use cucumber dressing as the "ketchup" ...good eats

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by billy336
Brunswick stew

I use squirrel, rabbits and chicken for that.

Sam......

S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
[video:youtube]L5LXpcnAvRA[/video]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
If you can get stock, you can make a decent beef barley soup. Brown the burger add stock, garlic onion etc. Put in stock and tomatoes, cook barley and beans (I use great northern) and add whatever vegetables that you like then spice to taste.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
E
EdM Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Appreciate the input. Clearly folks don't realize how little is available here. I do make pasta sauce but cannot get lasagna noodles or mozzarella cheese. No green (or red) enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, lamb, veal... I do stuff about any veggie I can get but I am looking for soup-like stuff. The Italian Wedding soup can be done so I will give it a go though I can only get basic spaghetti pasta. I just found some ham steaks today so will do a potato/leak/carrot/ham soup tomorrow. Since I cannot get enchilada sauce I did bring this back last trip home. It allows enchilada sauce to be made. I will use it tonight pouring it over a couple of ground beef/pork/potato burritos (I can get flour ones) with some cheddar and onions on top.

[Linked Image]

Conduct is the best proof of character.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by EdM
This is all that is readily available here and I like to make a soup, chili, etc., on the weekend so it is just a "reheat and serve" during the late work nights home. Hunks of beef to cube are about nil here so I am looking for hearty soup-like recipes (I know chili so no help needed there) to make using the ground products. I require an azzload of flavor whether Italian, Mexican, Cajun, Spanish... Spices are difficult here but I will be home in Texas in three weeks so I can import, just no liquids, as I only carry a small daypack when I travel.
Make a Bolognese sauce for pasta. If you want my recipe, let me know.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Meat balls

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Meatloaf, meatballs, stuffed peppers, stuffed cabbage, shepards pie, soups......

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by blanket
Meat balls
Yep.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Just googled ground meat soup. 10 plus pages, should be plenty to look at and modify as ingredients can be found. Food network, taste of home, southern living, ask.com. All kinds of stuff, many Asian style stuff too. Lots of ideas just looking through the pics.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by calikooknic; 09/01/14.

Sean
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Nice dig, CAli.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by blanket
Meat balls

Both Italian for spag and also Sveedish meatballs with rice or egg noodles.

THIS is a ground beef soup I posted 4+ years ago that came from the local paper. It is superb - truly uber! smile

Beef and barley vegetable soup
Peninsula Clarion

1 pound lean ground beef

1 small onion, chopped

One cup sliced celery

1 cup fresh sliced carrots

1/2 (10-ounce) bag fresh cut green beans

1 medium to large zucchini, sliced

1/2 (10-ounce) box frozen spinach

1/2 cup frozen peas

2 cloves garlic, minced

3 quarts low-sodium beef broth

1 (28-ounce) can whole tomatoes, undrained

1-1/2 cups "quick" pearled barley

1 tablespoon fresh minced parsley, plus more for garnish

1 teaspoon dried basil

1-2 bay leaves

Salt and fresh ground black pepper

In a large Dutch oven, over medium heat, lightly brown meat. Drain off all but 1 tablespoon of the fat, then stir in onion, celery, carrots and green beans. Cook for 10 minutes. (If needed, some water to the cooking pot.)

Add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Stir in broth, tomatoes (crush tomatoes lightly with your hands), barley, parsley, basil, and bay leaf.

Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add zucchini, spinach and peas and cook 10 minutes more. Season with salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste.

Remove bay leaves and garnish with fresh minced parsley before serving.

Makes about 16 (1 cup) servings.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by EdM
Appreciate the input. Clearly folks don't realize how little is available here. I do make pasta sauce but cannot get lasagna noodles or mozzarella cheese. No green (or red) enchilada sauce, corn tortillas, lamb, veal... I do stuff about any veggie I can get but I am looking for soup-like stuff. The Italian Wedding soup can be done so I will give it a go though I can only get basic spaghetti pasta. I just found some ham steaks today so will do a potato/leak/carrot/ham soup tomorrow. Since I cannot get enchilada sauce I did bring this back last trip home. It allows enchilada sauce to be made. I will use it tonight pouring it over a couple of ground beef/pork/potato burritos (I can get flour ones) with some cheddar and onions on top.

[Linked Image]

I'm thinking you need a care package! laugh

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

607 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 1minute, 160user, 1_deuce, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,236 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,277
Posts18,448,462
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.