Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by mart
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

I really doubt Oklahoma has more fresh water shoreline than Alaska.

Maybe they're counting cattle tanks.

The whole norther border of New York is freshwater shoreline, lakes Erie and Ontario and the St. Lawrence river, then you've got Lake Champlain along the eastern border with Vermont, the Hudson river running most of the rest of the way from there to N(f'in)YC. The rest of the state is full of lakes and rivers.

I lived with my 2nd ex-wife for 25 years on the shore of the St. Lawrence and there's a lot to be said about just walking down to the boat house, dropping the boat in, and going duck hunting or fishing.

Current wife and I bought a place on the river before we got married, fixed it up into our dream home, then this summer moved down here, a couple miles from Lake Ontario (great job for her.) We are still keeping the river home unless the financial strain gets to be too much. I have been promised that if we do sell the river home we're getting a 26' Grady White all outfitted for trout and salmon down here.

I grew up in the North Country of New York, St. Lawrence County to be exact. Lot's of lakes and rivers. Hunted and fished a fair bit on the St. Lawrence River. My dad is still back there.

I know a few guys keep catfish in their cattle tanks so I guess they would qualify as freshwater lakes. grin

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Gadfly,

Interesting link. Oklahoma has 1401 square miles of water area in it's lakes and ponds. I wouldn't have guessed that. Here's some water facts from our state.

Alaska water

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Originally Posted by add
Oklahoma has lakes...?

Many are surprised to learn that Oklahoma has more freshwater shoreline than any other state (except Minnesota.)

I really doubt Oklahoma has more fresh water shoreline than Alaska.

Or Michigan. You're never more than 5 miles from a pond, lake or stream here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't know how they do it, but Alaska has water that sits on hillsides.

Last edited by 1minute; 08/29/14.

1Minute
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Gadfly,

Interesting link. Oklahoma has 1401 square miles of water area in it's lakes and ponds. I wouldn't have guessed that. Here's some water facts from our state.

Alaska water

Yep, Alaska is definately a wet state. I don't really know how OK compares to the great lake states, but it is a lot wetter, particularly the eastern half, than most people think.

On the other hand, the OP might find a bargain on a lake house here

ego operor non tutela
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Yeah! Buy a place where there's lots of wild turkey and deer!

Screw the Lake House!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Here are a couple of properties we looked at in Eastern Oklahoma (Lake Tenkiller.) $50K difference between the two. First one built in 2004 and the second one in 1974.

[Linked Image]
This home sits on 3+ acres just a short walk to a marina.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Really nice/big garage/man cave

[Linked Image]
Built in exercise machine (cutting the grass)

[Linked Image]
Another property on 2+ acres just minutes to the tailwaters of the Illinois and perhaps the best trout fishing in Oklahoma.

[Linked Image]

On the banks of the lower Illinois River, just minutes from this property.

[img]http://photos3.zillowstatic.com/p_f/IS9hzzblgw89af0000000000.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos2.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISt4vbb88gseaf0000000000.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos1.zillowstatic.com/p_f/ISdsqnavzzbkaf0000000000.jpg[/img]

[img]http://photos3.zillowstatic.com/p_f/IS9xfzqyev6yaf0000000000.jpg[/img]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
A few photos showing the beauty of Lake Tenkiller and the Lower Illinois River . . .

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Been to Tenkiller, Grand Lake, Keystone, Eufala, Skiatook. Tenkiller by far was the nicest, although Keystone is pretty good, too. Tenkiller just seems more wild.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Was living on a river before I retired. Living on a river now that I have.

Damn 'gators are a bunch of mooching bastids and liberals are in short supply around here. If you want to live on a lake, make sure there aren't any moochers hanging around.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Spent a lot of time on Tenkiller as a kid. Was a spectacular fishing hole back in the '60s.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 007FJ, 10ring1, 50 invisible), 2,389 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,549
Posts18,453,561
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.