Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I agree completely.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
GB2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I wasn't curious about the crappy pictured you posted,but was curious about what body/glass you are shooting now.

The body and it's type,will VERY much dictate possibilities in both RAW and JPEG. Hint.

Admittedly,I am not much fun to try and keep pace with. That being said,I'll happily use smaller words for you,if only to grease the skids for you to try..............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd submit,that millions of large prints have been sold that were gunned with modest systems.

The original Canon 1D and 1Ds spring immediately to mind.

No matter the platform,if you understand light,exposure and DR...you can do exceptionally nice things SOOC (straight out of camera) and of course JPEG's will happily be coaxed along in Post. It is a constant "Trump Card" of those less a clue,that RAW is a "magic" salve for Turd Polishing.

It assuredly is not.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Hmmm...

This brings me back to the old slide vs. photo film argument.

BTW stick - you can't expect everyone to have access to 10k plus lenses - and possibly high end software... That's not all that fair now is it.

Still can't figure out why you shoot those cheap ass remy actions smile

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Currently I am shooting a Nikon D-800, D-300s, Sony a7R, Canon 7D, Canon 70D, Sony NEX-7, and an Olympus EM-5. For glass mostly Tamron glass and a couple of Zeiss prime lenses. Depends on what I am shooting that day as to which one I grab.

The slide vs photo film is a great comparison. One is first generation the other is second generation. Slide film has more punch at first but less information to work with, print film has b much wider latitude because of the post processing.

Great photography is not about being in the right place at the right time, it is about putting yourself in the right place at the right time.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never cited equipment,other than Dinosaurs (1D/1Ds).

It's the Indian,not the arrow...but beware the best Indian with the best arrows..............

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A bit off topic but my transparency films produce far superior prints than my color print film.

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No wonder Post Production consumes your every thought.

It would be refreshing to see some sound pics for a change...............

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
BS, you asked me what I am shooting, I answered your question. I do very little post production.

pal, IMO very little will ever compete with a good Cibachrome.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I've never cited equipment,other than Dinosaurs (1D/1Ds).

It's the Indian,not the arrow...but beware the best Indian with the best arrows..............

Dude unless you were holding some else's gear in the pictures I saw, well - I call BS.
Yes I'm talking lenses, not the body of the rig, they were 2 foot long plus.

smile

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You don't do much of anything,but guess....................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Good glass comes in all shapes/sizes and splendors can be found in places some would never believe.

Bodies have come along faster than glass and AF/IQ and DR along with buffer depth and frame rate,have made amazing gains.

It's all about connecting dots and it ain't tough to cypher who do and who don't..................

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Got pretty quiet,pretty fast...I guess those Bees and cellphones are even scarier than they sound! Laughing.

Touching on that which matters and JPEG's in obviously rapid succession.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/North%20Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/DAD_2818.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/North%20Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/DAD_2817.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/North%20Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/DAD_2816.jpg[/img]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/BigStick/Stuff/North%20Slope%20Work%20And%20Play/DAD_2815.jpg[/img]

'Course the burst was longer than that,but one can only load (10) frames per Post and I reckon it only fair to hang that number gunned in a row,less a dropped shot...if only for alotta reasons.(grin)

Good talk!....................

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Like the first one with the eyes open.

1Minute
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So much splendor,is sensory overload.

Ain't even "fair"................(grin)

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Number 5 ("The SuperYawn") has just become my desktop background. smile Big Stick, thanks for posting at a nice high resolution!

One thing not raised on this thread (and that may be important to some folks), is that RAW is not a single format, but dozens of them (some specific to a SINGLE camera). These are proprietary formats, unlike jpeg.

Think about what has already happened to many proprietary computer file formats.

Any of you have early Wordstar or WordPerfect files they have tried to work with lately? frown

In 25 years, I am confident that programs will be able to read our current jpegs (today nearly as universal a format as text) but I am much less confident that Photoshop Version 157.45 (or whatever we are using then!) will be able to open the RAW format of say, a Nikon 200 (which Nikon introduced in 2005 and has already partially orphaned in their software today).

John

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
a very valid point - and one most never consider.

there has been noise about trying to adopt DNG or TIFF as a default lossless file format but results have been more like herding cats....

if you are shooting RAW, you'd be nuts if you didn't export your photos as large JPGs as a backup somewhere....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Dots is getting connected...while not so "curiously",the Clueless bow out.

Funny how it works and I mean FUNNY!.............

U
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
U
I utilize SOOC w/ FF probably 90% of the time. Memory is cheap though and I usually do record both RAW & JPG (except for high frame rate stuff).

the only real "real world" use I've had where IME RAW makes a big difference is in BW conversions -- and they're about the only things I'm PP with RAW for these days.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I shoot FF,but have no love...though the Canon 1DX is a fabulous machine.

I'm not much into phuqqing around and have seen me cut right to the chase,as a matter of course.................

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
706 members (222Sako, 007FJ, 09wingates, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 204guy, 78 invisible), 2,922 guests, and 1,290 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,778
Posts18,401,620
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.