Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you HnS, that was my wife driving the rifle while I ran video.

The impact area for the spine in that area is about the size of an orange.

The first photo below is an example of the impact size and meat loss to that area, which is not much. The photo obviously is after removal of the legs and backstrap. This photo was a hunter shooting off of sticks, and had them go for a broadside, high shoulder shot. Going through the shoulders increases the impact to the skeletal system and increases the target size. 308 with 175 SMK, 100 yard shot, dropped where it stood. Minimal meat loss, and no tracking required. Gloves used for quick cleanup as there is no water on that ranch. Phil Wilson drop point with 3" blade doing the work for size reference.

For purely meat hunting, brain shots are optimal if they can be made reliably.

[Linked Image]

For some comfort of combining what you have been doing with moving more into the spinal impact, the placements shown below combine the best of both with a good margin for error. These are primarily spinal impact, but with an increased target size area just in case something goes wrong.

Quartering at the hunter on the front edge of the shoulder will impact the spine, and then go through the chest cavity behind the off side shoulder with very minimal meat loss. This shot placement has lots of margin for error, and they are going down where they stand, or not very far.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Meat gets shot in the face,Trophies get broken shoulders..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
HnS, notice how Jeff likes the spine shots. His high shoulder shots also hit the spine. Nothing produces DRT like a hit to the CNS.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Wow.

It is hilarious you ask someone else how big a Deer's head is,so you can Pretend with bullets you've never shot,to salve your Imagination.

THAT is phuqqing funny!....................

You're a dipshit, and you prove it more often than not. Not in what you know, but in what you think you know that YOU DO NOT.

Thanks for wasting more space on the web doing nothing but salving your wounded self through the pointless attack of others. Well done. Your daddy would be proud.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sweetheart,

Your oblivious Assault on yourself is phuqqing HILARIOUS!

"Hey,can anyone tell me how "big" a Deer's head is...because I'm Pretending about bullets again".

EPIC humor!

Take notes and apply same,because it will much help your game.

Hint................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Jeff, thanks for your input, and for the detailed information. Those highlighted photos are great! It is a different perspective for me to aim for bone, so I've been looking at how various guys do it, and how well various shots work. I've killed everything with ribs shots, or some quartering variation, and have avoided neck shots and shoulders altogether, but like I said, I'm looking at other options, and their usual results.

I really appreciate the feedback, Jeff, and Sniper. It looks like even at mild speeds, any bullet that can do CNS damage to the spine is the way to go. I understand this intellectually, but am unfamiliar with the practice of it, because I've always shot for and hit heart/lungs. It is a high margin of error shot, and has been really comfortable for me, but as I look at using cast bullets at moderate speeds, or handguns, I have been looking at how others do it, and what they aim for.

A CNS shot is likely going to be the best shot for me with 'light' equipment, in the high-shoulder/spine/neck juncture. Seems to be a fairly large target and very predictable result.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just ordered 500 of those 168 Amaxes to use in my 30-06. These ones have green tips. Couldn't pass them up at the price.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I don't eat lungs, seems to work out!

You will not make peace with the Blue Coats, you are free to go
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I never liked chasing schit.

I don't eat ear holes.

Hint................

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I never liked chasing schit.

I don't eat ear holes.

Hint................

Yes that would be another way

However, I have not chased a double lunged Deer yet shot by a 178 A-Max, we shall see!

Last edited by Nomosendero2; 08/31/14.

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
H&S, as you start shooting greater distances you will adopt a new mindset, and new equipment. MOA is no longer acceptable. You add dials, magnification higher BC bullets, and perhaps velocity. Push a high BC bullet hard, and at close range it will make a real mess of things, so you have to adopt. Those dials that work so great for LR shots also eliminate the guess work on the 250yd neck shot, and the mess that would go along with said fast, soft bullet on a traditional shoulder shot, and any thoughts of tracking.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've never not seen lung pokes,fully engage 4-Wheel Drive and watch schit travel. 'Course I'm not playing Haybale & Crockett in the pasture,either.

Hint...............

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
H&S, as you start shooting greater distances you will adopt a new mindset, and new equipment. MOA is no longer acceptable. You add dials, magnification higher BC bullets, and perhaps velocity. Push a high BC bullet hard, and at close range it will make a real mess of things, so you have to adopt. Those dials that work so great for LR shots also eliminate the guess work on the 250yd neck shot, and the mess that would go along with said fast, soft bullet on a traditional shoulder shot, and any thoughts of tracking.

Very well said, spot on.

Disconnect the central nervous system and/or break the spine or shoulders, and it is quick and swift for the animal, and easy and pleasant for the hunter. I do not like the mid-neck as I have seen them paralyzed, but alive. Go for the base of the neck, or the brain.

Here is shot placement to the brain.

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N
I've never not seen lung pokes,fully engage 4-Wheel Drive and watch schit travel. 'Course I'm not playing Haybale & Crockett in the pasture,either.

Hint...............

I have seen that alot too and with a bunch of good "Deer" bullets.
But only saying that with the 178 A-Max the travel is very minimal and never had to trail, not bang flops but it appeared 4-wh drive was not engaged.Beanfield, hayfield, highline ROW, doesn't seem to matter much.
Longer range CNS is great though.
Only reporting what I have actually experienced with that particular bullet.

Last edited by Nomosendero2; 09/01/14.

H
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H

Yeah it is a combination. My equipment limitations prescribe the distance I'm willing to shoot. I've been plenty comfortable taking ribs shots with a rifle and high bc bullets at close range and at the limits of my equipment for distance. That also ends up being the limit of my shooting ability. Lungs are a big target, and I haven't needed to know all of the exacting info to make a good hit.

I'm still trying to decide if I want to spend the money to step into the next bracket of distance shooting at game. I've actually been downgrading to cast bullets, setting up and practicing with handguns for hunting, which is what this thread is about. I know today that I could put a bullet into the ribs/lungs of an elk with a handgun at 200yds, and with the ballistics of an Amax, I could double that distance for lethality, if I wanted to get proficient enough to make it a viable proposition.

I am headed more toward upgrading my handgun skills than upgrading my rifle/optic and rifle skills. A magnum 7 distance rig is in the cards though, as that is an itch that needs more scratching. It's a lot easier to solve now that there are so many who're doing it and who've done it a long time.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
H&S, as you start shooting greater distances you will adopt a new mindset, and new equipment. MOA is no longer acceptable. ...

What's the problem with MOA?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by mathman
H&S, as you start shooting greater distances you will adopt a new mindset, and new equipment. MOA is no longer acceptable. ...

What's the problem with MOA?

Let me clarify. 1 MOA groups, (or the traditional 1" at 100 yards) are no longer acceptable.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
ANY bullet into the lungs,will engage 4-Wheel Drive.

It weren't maligning the 178...rather it's location.

Hint................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've always liked to drill shoulders.

red/orange and blue/green color blind. Big lumps of deer are easier to spot on the ground than trackin through the leaves.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Meat gets another hole in the head,Trophies get shoulders crushed..............

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (1OntarioJim, 2500HD, 1234, 11point, 160user, 10ring1, 74 invisible), 3,041 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,336
Posts18,468,682
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.