Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Waders

And the main issue is: Why or why not carry a mini auto? And if you oppose mini autos, at what point is an auto so small that it's "useless" and should be replaced by a wheel gun?

So everyone thus far thinks mini autos have a place in the world and shouldn't be replaced by a revolver?

No, not quite correct.

Small autos have a place, but mini autos will never replace either small autos or revolvers.

Guess it somewhat depends on your definitions of small & mini auto.

MM

GB1

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Here's the statement that got me thinking about all of this:

I don't see the need for a mini auto. In any caliber.

I was/am wondering if others think similarly or not.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are truly talking about pocket pistols (i.e., those that are carried in a pocket and not in a holster), then both semis and revolvers have their pluses and minuses.

Autos:
* Mini-autos are more finicky about ammunition, grip, and everything else that can occasionally plague a full size auto. The further you shrink the size and attempt to maintain a full power cartridge, the more exacerbated any small issue will become.
* The small size and grip frame can make practicing with and controlling a full power cartridge capable pistol difficult.
* Until you get to the P3AT/LCP size, weight can be an issue with them. The shrunken 1911s are a perfect example of this.
* The autos can't be fired more than once from inside a pocket.

That said, reloads in a new magazine carry and conceal well. The smallest autos in .32 and .380 are light years ahead of where they were in terms of concealment and effectiveness over similarly chambered pistols just 20 years ago. There are several true pocket pistols available today in calibers up to and including .45ACP; something that was unthinkable not long ago. The carry flat, if the overall size is conducive to pocket carry. The semi-auto platform is one that most people who shoot today are familiar with and thus "cross training" is easy.

Revolvers:
* The are generally thicker and can print more easily due to the girth around the cylinder.
* They generally have less rounds in a single load (5 to 6 vs. 6-8).
* Reloads carried in a speedloader don't conceal well at all.
* Revolvers are not commonly carried or used today by most shooters.
* Recoil in a true pocket sized revolver can be an issue.

That said, ammunition reliability problems are generally avoided in revolvers. True, it may have one or two that it shoots better than others, but feeding and reliability are not a normal concern. The standard revolver calibers of .38 Special, .357 Magnum and .44 Special are the most common revolver chamberings and they have a long track record of success in defensive use. The concealed hammer or shrouded hammer revolvers can be successfully fired multiple times from within a pocket without jamming, and they are also quite slick to draw from a pocket without snagging.

We truly live in a golden age of firearms. If you had wanted a true pocket pistol 40, 30, or even 20 years ago, you were stuck with just a couple small revolvers or sacrificing power to get into a .32 or .380 that quite often had reliability issues in addition to marginally effective ammunition. Today, you have your pick of dozens.

I personally think that they both have their place and their values. I've carried the smaller .380s for a good number of years, as well as a 442/642. I don't find it that difficult to conceal a full sized pistol these days due to great belt and holster options, but the little guns still have their place. Pick one that works well for you; get used to it; carry it; and don't worry about what someone else thinks.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think small autos are easier to conceal than small revolvers, due to the lack of bulk the cylinder of the revolver presents.

but as Jim pointed out, the revolver can be shot from the pocket, the semi, only once before it must be drawn.

but other than coat pocket that point seems pretty well moot. Front pants pocket, at least on my pants the weapon would have to be drawn unless I just want to shoot myself in the leg or foot and scare the hades outa the guy how badazz I am

"hey I just shot myself, ain't nuttin for me to shoot you, ya big jabroni"

man I wish Col. Cooper were still alive, this last epiphany of mine might inspire him to include it in his writings as part of the maxim of handgun defense.

Move over Ayoob, there's a new sheriff in town, 2l2q

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Although I have nothing against a mini auto, I personally prefer a revolver for a pocket gun for the following reasons:

1. I have never had a revolver malfunction when coated with all of the lint and crud that seems to accumulate on the gun in a pocket holster.

2. I prefer the revolver grip shape for quick access to the handgun in the pocket.

3. I prefer the DA trigger as a safety feature when a handgun is carried in a pocket.

4. I like the idea that the revolver can be fired repeatedly from a pocket if necessary with less chance of malfunctioning.

My opinion is colored somewhat by the fact that a friend of mine shot himself accidentally with a Glock carried in his right front pocket. None of the hundreds of officers I worked with who carried pocket revolvers ever did that. Yes, he mishandled the weapon...but its design is much less forgiving of mistakes than a revolver is.

I always have my 638 in my pocket, and about 3/4 of the time also have a Glock 19 in an IWB holster on the opposite side. I'm not quite sure which is the primary and which is the secondary.

Last edited by wildhobbybobby; 08/30/14.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
IC B2

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I can fire a revolver from INSIDE a coat pocket and empty the cylinder if need be. No way in Hell can a semi match that. Ask Gunner 500. He learned.

As long as it has an enclosed hammer and you carry an extinguisher for the fire. I hear this recommended but it was pretty damn interesting to actually do it a few times. I saw triggers fail to reset and cylinders get bound up in liners and not turn. The thought of 5 shots guaranteed turned out to be a myth.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
I hate carrying in my pocket. I always have to put the stuff I normally carry in my right pocket into my left.

I much prefer a clip like techna-clip or the kel-tec version and stick it in the waistband.

Have not tried the hip .grip on a five shooter, would rather have the auto.

If I'm wearing a jacket and you are talking those pockets then I would hide something bigger IWB.

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
As much as I like revolvers, I like my Springfield XDS 45 more, as a tool. I won't ever carry it in a carved leather holster, but it'll get the job done if it ever has to.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UPhiker
Originally Posted by derby_dude
For a small auto my choice would be a Walther PPK/S or a Sig P232. Both would make a small belt gun.

For a mini auto my choice would be a Seecamp in .380 would be the ticket.
Did we just time travel back to the 1980's?

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Walther PPK goes all the way back to the 1920's. It's sort of like the 1911, over a hundred years old and still going strong.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Here's the statement that got me thinking about all of this:

I don't see the need for a mini auto. In any caliber.

I was/am wondering if others think similarly or not.

I absolutely agree with that statement.

J-frame/LCR or bust.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

If it ain't broke don't fix it. The Walther PPK goes all the way back to the 1920's. It's sort of like the 1911, over a hundred years old and still going strong.

Holy schit...

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by deflave

Holy schit...

Travis

'Flave, please don't quote that idiot. Some of us are quite happy seeing the exact same thing every time he posts.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
PPK/S is a boat anchor compared to the Modern plastic guns!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes Mike, but a boat anchor is simple, reliable and doesn't go out of its way to cut your hands.

Last edited by night_owl; 08/30/14.

abusus non tollit usum
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by night_owl
Yes Mike, but a boat anchor is simple, reliable and doesn't go out of its way to cut your hands.

Which means the PPK is not a boat anchor, as it will bite the hand that fires it, is not necessarily simple not reliable.

It was a good design in it's time as the PP, and worked as the PPK and PPK/S. It has been surpassed by more than a few better designs and some not necessarily that recent. For that size and weight today, it's better off a 9x19 class caliber.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

And the main issue is: Why or why not carry a mini auto? And if you oppose mini autos, at what point is an auto so small that it's "useless" and should be replaced by a wheel gun?

So everyone thus far thinks mini autos have a place in the world and shouldn't be replaced by a revolver?

Sorry I have taken so long to post on this thread, as I feel like I have been one of those who stirred the sheet, so to speak.

My feeling in reference to pocket guns is that revolvers do a better job of giving me more than one shot from the pocket.

Semi automatics will fire from the pocket on the first go round, but I feel like they stand a good chance of a malfunction before the second round can be fired.

My rule of thumb is that anyone or anything worth shooting once is worth shooting twice.

With that in mind, I give the revolver the nod for a pocket gun.

Mine is a Smith model 38, airweight bodyguard. I practice with non plus P loads and carry plus P for social issues. I shoot it well enough out to 25 yards and count it the baseline for myself.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by 4ager

Which means the PPK is not a boat anchor, as it will bite the hand that fires it, is not necessarily simple not reliable.

It was a good design in it's time as the PP, and worked as the PPK and PPK/S. It has been surpassed by more than a few better designs and some not necessarily that recent. For that size and weight today, it's better off a 9x19 class caliber.

I've been forced to carry a PPK/s in 380, and it was one of the old Interams versions. Due to that experience I will not have another one in my house, let alone my pocket.

There are so many things that fulfill the same role and do so in a better manner than the PPk or PPk/s platform.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

If you think a PPk/s won't cut your hands, you got another think coming.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I bleed every time I shoot a PPK/S and I bleed every time I shoot a Browning HP. But the injuries have, so far, not been fatal to anything other than my interest in both pistols.

Life is like a purple antelope on a field of tuna fish...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wildhobbybobby
I bleed every time I shoot a PPK/S and I bleed every time I shoot a Browning HP. But the injuries have, so far, not been fatal to anything other than my interest in both pistols.

A quick hammer swap on the BHP will cure those ills.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 59 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,314 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.