Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
6'7", 365 and carries, damn ya must live in Sasquatch country. lol.

grinNo.1-a guy THAT big could likely carry a 105mm tank cannon without it being noticed. No. 2-He NEEDS a gun to defend himself??? grin grin

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
BP-B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Hell. I'd want a 105 if I saw that guy in a dark alley! grin

He's the size of a baby Grizzly! grin

I have some T-shirts that look like a mini dress on me but would be just the right size for our baby Grizzly. grin

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I have my idea of a mini auto: Glock 35 with 5.31 inch barrel. For a mini revolver: a 3 inch Model 66 .357 S&W Mag. I guess Mini Autos and Revolvers come under the functional rabbit's foot category to me. My serious choice of small revolver would be a S&W J frame 38 Special with +P ammo. I carried an AMT .380 Auto in an ankle holster as back up to a 4 inch S&W 29 44 Mag or Colt 1911 45 Colt belt gun in the early 80s but moved on to 5 shot J frames. The Glock 20 10mm Auto and Glock 21 .45 ACP are good guns but the oversized grips are just too big for a secure grip, even in the SF models. I have them and shoot them but don't love them. The Glock Model 35 and all similar size polymer framed guns at least allow a firm grip and a place for all fingers. It is amazing how much the little finger improves the grip during rapid fire. The new polymid textured surface is almost as good as 30 lines per inch checkering on the front strap of a Kimber CDP. In the old days we paid big bucks for custom checkering and a beavertail grip safety, now its standard on good carry guns.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Redhill
I guess the answer could depend on definitions of a "pocket gun" and a "mini auto".

I�ve been gone so I�m late to the party. The definition of a mini-gun of the pocket variety varies from person to person. To me, it is a least common denominator that I will always carry, and with which I would be willing to go up against the Batman movie dude or the Clackamas Mall shooter. It has to be something I actually would carry in a gun unfriendly city, where it better have been used to avoid death or great bodily harm if it gets noticed.

Revolvers and mini .380s are totally off the list for me. I suck at 25 yards with small revolvers, and .380s just don�t have the downrange energy to suit my preferences. Very few have sights that are easy to pick up in the dark, as in movie theater dark. Reloads with revolvers are a pain and also can result in dumping live rounds that might be needed later. Many teeny tiny autos have difficult magazine release switches and no slide stop to hold the slide back after it runs dry.

My least common denominator is my Sig P938. Great sights of the night sight variety, full functionality with a good magazine release button and a slide stop. I can carry it and a couple of reloads (all 6 round BTW) very easily. It shoots almost like a full sized gun at 25 yards. It has proven reliable, including shooting it, as carried for months, with lint and dust all over the gun. In terms of versatility and performance, I think that, on balance, it is a better gun to carry than the 4 inch K frame loaded with 125 grain Remington .38 Special +P and 2 speedloaders that I carried back in the day, and that is without making any accounting for the obvious weight and concealability differences. The advance in technology is astounding as far as I am concerned.

Is it my first choice? No. It usually serves a backup. But, there are times when I am outside my home state where I need to use discretion and I can only bring one.

In terms of nuances, there are times when a small revolver would be better. A S&W Centennial draws smoother from the pocket. I find the issue of whether it can fire from the pocket or not irrelevant, as my pants pockets would not allow me to shoot at anything more than an opponent�s foot or shin at best if I tried that. Coat pocket carry is just not in my modus operandi. I try to compensate by partially drawing the gun when I get the spidey sense. It can be done without being noticed if you wear the right clothing. As far as a panic draw is concerned, well, that is just a matter of training and hoping one is cool under stress, and sometimes the stars and planets just need to align properly. Cops fumble panic draws out of today�s retention holsters.

If all I worried about was one or two guys inside 7 yards, a Centennial or LCR with the concealed hammer with a couple of speed strips for spares would be fine.

Comments on other posts: While an XDS will fit in my pocket, it does not allow me to get a firing grip and draw smoothly from the pockets of the jeans that I wear, especially after I installed the night sights. I have to go to my belt with that one. Similarly, Waders� Kimber wouldn�t work, nor would the Shield or G26/27. The G35 isn�t even on the table for me as an open carry belt gun.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Hard to hide a full size even on a fat boy. Hasbeen
I live in the high desert of Nevada, and wear the same thing in the summer. With a good IWB and a large T-shirt, I have no problem concealing a LW Commander with shorts and a T-shirt. It's all in the holster you choose, and the T-shirt you wear.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by viking
6'7", 365 and carries, damn ya must live in Sasquatch country. lol.

60 miles from Mordor (Rockford,IL), 120 from Chicago...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Yep thats Sam-sqantch country. Lol

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Old school S&W model 38 air-weight (instead of the 1/2 pound heavier model 49). No lock, no MIM parts makes it reliable as the sun coming up every morning. I have one in my back pocket at all times!

Ken
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I don't know where the cutoff for mini is but I like the Shield. It's small enough to carry owb and still disappear under a tshirt.

And I shoot the damn thing almost as well as my G17 I bought in 1994.

wink

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
depends on my mood either carried a colt gov't 380 or mauser 1910 in 32acp and revolver is colt police positive in 32 s&w.

Now adays normally carry to shot 45

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
For a true go-everywhere handgun I much prefer a LCR or J-frame.

I've been known to wear the same flip flops, t-shirt, and swim trunks for three days straight. LCR's and the UBER light j-frames have no peer IMO.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If anyone ever opines that carrying is occasionally a burden because of size or weight, I'd have serious doubts they ever slid a 442 in their front pocket or tucked in their waistband.

It's too damned easy.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I wound up selling my Shield and full size M&P first of the week. Been carrying my 640-1 357 in a Kusiak IWB holster across Texas and Louisiana. Never felt under gunned and it disappears so easily.

I may pick up a new Shield without the safety or I may not.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
330 members (280shooter, 204guy, 29aholic, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 45 invisible), 2,220 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,724
Posts18,400,607
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.