Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
In the thread discussing whether the Glock 42 will be a flop, the issue was raised about whether mini autos have any purpose whatsoever. I thought the topic deserved its own thread. I'm undecided and looking forward to hearing your opinions.

To prime the discussion, I gathered a few of the "usual suspects" from both sides of the aisle:

[Linked Image]

The auto's from top to bottom: Colt Mustang .380, Glock 42 .380, Kimber Ultra 1911 .45 ACP, and a Kahr PM9 9mm.

The revolvers: S&W 49 .38 Spcl, S&W 642 .38 Spcl +P, Ruger LCR .22 Mag, and a Ruger SP 101 .357 Mag.

Maybe to keep the discussion focused, let's leave the .22 Mag alone as to whether it's sufficient as a self-defense cartridge. The LCR comes in .38 Spcl and .357 in basically the same size package. Feel free to attack or support the .380 ACP though.

And the main issue is: Why or why not carry a mini auto? And if you oppose mini autos, at what point is an auto so small that it's "useless" and should be replaced by a wheel gun?

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For a small auto my choice would be a Walther PPK/S or a Sig P232. Both would make a small belt gun.

For a mini auto my choice would be a Seecamp in .380 would be the ticket.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know where the cutoff for mini is but I like the Shield. It's small enough to carry owb and still disappear under a tshirt.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I don't quite call the Shield a mini, nor is the Kimber Ultra, the G42 or the Kahr PM9, though it's close.

My preference is a S&W J-frame 442/642, but I could live with the Shield if I had to, but probably w/o +P ammo.

MM

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I really like the Keltec P3AT, Glock 42 not so much

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like the sig 938, but I have the sig 232, s&w 637, p7m8, s&w 35ipd ,n/a mini, and LCP .Carry the 938 daily. S/E Texas is polo shirt and shorts most of the time. Hard to hide a full size even on a fat boy. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
S/E Texas is polo shirt and shorts most of the time. Hard to hide a full size even on a fat boy.

You'd be surprised what an oversized & loose T-shirt & the right holster/gun combination can do for you.

MM

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I've come to really like the Kahr P380. Fits my hand well, very good trigger pull, excellent night sights...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by derby_dude
For a small auto my choice would be a Walther PPK/S or a Sig P232. Both would make a small belt gun.

For a mini auto my choice would be a Seecamp in .380 would be the ticket.
Did we just time travel back to the 1980's?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the new S&W Bodyguard .38sp Revolver with Factory Lazer for my BUG. It only ways 13 ounces and rides in the right front pocket of my cargo shorts. But I very rarely carry it as my only CHL Pistole.
It's usually the BUG to my 1911 LW Commander or my Glock 32.

About the only small auto I carry any more is a KelTec P-32 loaded with Buffalo Bore Ammo. And it's usually in my shorts pocket when I'm just setting around the house watching late night TV.
It's NOT a CHL gun that I would want to bet my life on! It's just mainly a pocket gun for here at the house. I'd much prefer my old cutdown Savage SXS 12 ga. that's leaning behind the door.

Last edited by chlinstructor; 08/30/14.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders

And the main issue is: Why or why not carry a mini auto? And if you oppose mini autos, at what point is an auto so small that it's "useless" and should be replaced by a wheel gun?

So everyone thus far thinks mini autos have a place in the world and shouldn't be replaced by a revolver?

Wade

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the S&W Shield 9MM and my wife has the S&W Bodyguard .380.I can conceal the Shield pretty good with my DeSantis OWB holster and its comfortable to carry all day.

The Bodyguard on the other hand is even more concealable because that goes in the front pants pocket.

As with any firearm (self defense or hunting)shot placement and bullets matter more than headstamps, with the 380,IMO it becomes more important than with a .45.

Theres a site that does some testing on 380 ammo that I found interesting. I think its called Shoot the Bull,Google it its easy to find

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Originally Posted By: Waders

So everyone thus far thinks mini autos have a place in the world and shouldn't be replaced by a revolver?

Yes, I think mini autos have a place. The practicality of a Kel-tec P3AT drew me in. It's so small that you can carry it even when you're not really carrying.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
S&W J frame has my vote.....I carry a model 38 Airweight most everywhere.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
For a number of years I carried the SP101 in 357 Mag. I had an action job, night sights, & Mag-N-Ported. Accurate & not too obtrusive. Only pulled it once when some druggies demanded money at a 7-11 at about 4:00AM on the way hunting. I live in liberal Northern Virginia & needed something as a small back-up when working as a S/O & also when around the area. If anyone even suspects that someone is carrying here you are likely to be visited by SWAT. I purchased the S&W Bodyguard in .380 with the laser. Accurate enough for its purpose, but a lousy trigger. Not sure if a good smith could improve or not.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I can fire a revolver from INSIDE a coat pocket and empty the cylinder if need be. No way in Hell can a semi match that. Ask Gunner 500. He learned.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
642 w/laser, worn crossdraw or in pocket holster, depending on what I'm wearing. In winter, it often goes in my coat pocket, in the pocket holster to keep it upright.

What fresh Hell is this?
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
I can fire a revolver from INSIDE a coat pocket and empty the cylinder if need be. No way in Hell can a semi match that. Ask Gunner 500. He learned.

Hell ET, you're crazy enough to light one off from inside your shorts I'm betting! grin

Enjoy your day!

froggy

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
I don't know where the cutoff for mini is but I like the Shield. It's small enough to carry owb and still disappear under a tshirt.

+1.

The Shield esp. in 40 S&W can be a primary or BUG. Though similar to the Kimber 45 ACP Ultra, my EDC, the lighter weight and (internal) striker vs. external hammer makes it much more of a very powerful mini. Less complicated manual of arms to boot.

I don't see the Kimber Ultra as a mini BUG, but still very concealable for a powerful primary CCW.

Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it Almighty God! I know not what course others may take, but as for me, give me liberty of give me death! P. Henry

Deus vult!

Rhodesians all now

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Wildcatter264

I don't see the Kimber Ultra as a mini BUG, but still very concealable for a powerful primary CCW.

I agree 100%. I should have left it out of the pic.

I was more curious about how many people disfavor mini autos, generally, and think that revolvers are the better choice.

Wade

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

74 members (10gaugemag, 808outdoors, 264mag, 2500HD, 14 invisible), 1,049 guests, and 763 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,220
Posts18,447,483
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.