Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

There are posts on every type of hunting gear, how about some flyfishing equipment? One of my favorites is a Winston 8 foot 4 weight I got from Tom Morgan when he owned Winston.

I went to Russia on a flyfishing expedition to the Kola Peninsula with Tom, Stu Apte, Buzz Ramsey and a few others of note, to do exploratory fishing on the Ponoy River for Atlantic Salmon. When I got back, I spent a lot of time with Tom and eventually got a bunch of rods from him. This 4 weight was the first, finished with an Abel TR-2 reel.

When we were in Russia sitting on the river waiting to be picked up by the boats to take us to camp, a number of local Lapplanders showed up, so to impress them, I told them Tom and Myself had just graduated from Med school and were brain surgeons treating ourselves to a fishing trip. He then started calling me "Doc" Stovall and labeled some rods accordingly...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Sage TXL 0wt with a Sage 3100
[Linked Image]

'Loomis Stream Dancer 5wt
[Linked Image]

St. Croix Ultra legend 8wt
[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Tom Morgan Rodsmiths 3 weight, Abel TR-1 reel, Yellowstone Cutthroat, Lamar River...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Nice rods, and nice cutthroat from the Lamar. I am hoping to be back there next September to catch the end of the hopper season!

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

I was there today, headed back to the Yellowstone Buffalo Ford Saturday...

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice stuff guys.
I don't have anything in that league and with my skills it wouldn't matter anyway but I did buy a new 6wt TFO with some of my fur money this year.

[Linked Image]

And a Redington 4wt I've had for a few years.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Buffalo ford any good these days Shrap? Do they still fall for the "teaberry Shuffle'?

[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

The Buffalo Ford hasn't been the same for the past 10 years or so. 2 years ago, I went there and caught a couple small fish, indicating that the Cutthroats are coming back. This was last year, probably the biggest girth I have gotten at the Buffalo Ford.

Be here at 5:30 in the A.M. and you can go with us...

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Im thinking about hitting the Lamar in September�.havent been there in a long time�.

BTW: thats a DANDY cutt for Buffalo Ford

Last edited by ingwe; 08/22/14.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Where exactly is Buffalo Ford in the park and how are you fishing? Drys or nymphing? I'd like to make a trip there.

Last edited by troutslayer; 08/28/14.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Buffalo Ford is now re-named Nez Perce Ford and it is about 4 miles North of Fishing Bridge on the Yellowstone. There aren't many Cuts left, they are coming back...

Tom Morgan Rodsmith rod, 8 1/2 foot 5 weight with Able TR-2 reall, Teeny DT 5 floating line....

[Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Was hoping to post a new fly rod pic today, but yesterday my fishing and my casting sucked�..

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Headed out to the Bighorn today, should have plenty of pictures by Monday...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Bighorn should be getting good about now. Its only one of two places in Montana Ive ever see lightning bugs. The other was the lower Madison below the Bear Trap.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Fishing report said lots of moss on the 'Horn. Still good but will be cleaning off the flies a lot.

I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

John Wayne
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess I should call this one the special

[Linked Image]

Long story short a guy was giving away some rod blanks if anyone had kids they'd like to teach how to build a rod. I took him up on the offer and had my son's each build the 7 and 5 wt he offered up. He also threw in a 9' 3 pc 4 wt that I decided to build for myself. Stinky deer suggested using cottonwood bark for the grip so I made donuts with a hole saw, sanded em flat then stacked them up. After turning it down on the lathe and putting on a coat of wax it came out pretty good.

Was at the local hunting fishing store and they had a small stack of ross reels 30% off. The cimarron 1 looked to be the right size and I found one that was already spooled up. The sales guy said he didn't know how to price the line so it was gratus.

Seems to be a well balanced no name setup with a sweet action. Just need to break myself free and chase some grayling with it.

Last edited by 458 Lott; 08/29/14.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger

Sometimes the story bests the rod itself...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm not about to show you my self made flyrod... You guy would laugh me out of this place.

I have a good rod but the one I use the most is a 7' 4wt Shakespeare micro graphite I got on clearance at wal mart for 13 bucks and change. I use it for a spin/fly combo rod. I stripped the guides off and replaced them with small low profile spinning guides. I'm gonna take the reel seat and cork off and replace it with a 12" tennessee handle with rings so I can mount a spinning reel at the top or a fly reel at the end. The trigger of a spincast reel mounted in the flyreel position can be pulled with the pinky and casted with your hand in the position as if you are fly casting. This is how I rig it when fishing for sunfish with tiny hand tied jigs under a float.

I took it with me on a motorcycle trip yesterday to the clinch river for sunfish but neither the sun fish or smallmouth weren't biteing flies real well so I changed reels and started catchin smallies on spinners. My cheapo fly rod saved the day. Its ugly but its a great tool. NOT picture worthy.

Last edited by seal_billy; 08/31/14.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
TFO 3 wt, Okuma SLV 2/3 and a Row River Steelhead.

[Linked Image]

Shoulder issues keep me from using much over a 5 wt these days, unless I'm in the drift boat.

I caught two nice summer run steelhead yesterday on the Rogue, but used a spinning rod and bubble with a tandem nymph setup. It's still a lot'a fun!

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

pal Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Better late than never? smile

Redington CPX graphite 4-pc, 9'-0" 5-wt with Orvis CFO III disc drag reel.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

356 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 41 invisible), 2,573 guests, and 1,224 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,714
Posts18,457,028
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.