-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Beer can chicken is a favorite at deer camp. Baked potatoes, cream corn or string beans and stewed tomatoes round things out. Chicken smothered in Famous Dave's barbecue sauce or Baugartner's hot mustard.

Got it ready to put in cook stove oven.
[Linked Image]

Waiting for it to get done.
[Linked Image]

Done to perfection
[Linked Image]

God bless America and this food.
[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steak and Lobster, I am comming to your camp this year. We generally have a baked ham the night before the opener and NY strips opening day for dinner. Lobster would be good.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not opening day but back when we had a big camp one of the guys would haul his home made (55gal drum) BBQ up and do a leg of lamb about mid week.
Something we always looked forward to.

Well,,, one year I shot a buck right at dusk and ended up dragging it out in the dark while my buddy went down the mountain, got my truck, and proceded to get it impossibly stuck about half way back to where I was. We ended up walking 14mi back to camp. Didn't get back until well after midnight and to add to the injury, not only did the drunken bastids NOT come looking for us,,,, they ate our portion of the roast.

Thanks for stirring that old memory up for me. mad

grin grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The guys I hunt with will not discuss food or meals or who's bringing what before we go. It's a taboo subject.

My BF's motto is "All I need is bullets, bologna, and beer".

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by fish head
The guys I hunt with will not discuss food or meals or who's bringing what before we go. It's a taboo subject.

Remind me not to invite you to go hunting grin

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by eh76

I know you're joking but ...

This is a very sore subject with me.

I'm the one that tries to put meals together when we're in camp and I get stuck doing most of the cooking. Hunting with guys that don't contribute their fair share gets fuggin' old. mad

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

I know you're joking but ...

This is a very sore subject with me.

I'm the one that tries to put meals together when we're in camp and I get stuck doing most of the cooking. Hunting with guys that don't contribute their fair share gets fuggin' old. mad

Tell them the story of the Little Red Hen wink

And let them eat what they brought while you enjoy a nice steak dinner.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I know a guy in Wyoming that would prepare Steak and Lobster for a guest with only a minimal hint. Outstanding! grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
It varies. Our elk camp usually has folks, mostly from Oregon but has had and will have denizens of Washington, Nevada, and Oklahoma. One dude from western Oregon brings salmon and halibut he has caught, Oklahoma brings hickory from his home state to slow smoke prime rib in camp, have had deep fried whole turkeys done in camp, Dutch oven beef roasts, etc.. If dinner gets fouled up by several folks getting elk we have canned homemade venison chili on hand. So far we haven't suffered.

Happy Trails!
NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Let's be honest here. If you are spending that much time on a meal, when are you hunting? Ours has been and continues to be elegantly simple.

We do it on a 3 day rotation so that nothing gets old. It doesn't start in any particular order, but we will have:

Chili over Frito's corn chips

Chow mein

Dinty Moore beef stew.

This is a 3 day rotation, starting where ever you want and then move the next night to the next meal. If you are gone over 3 days, you just start over again and even after a week you won't eat one meal more than twice.

During the day, you can do some jerky and cheese, if you really want to splurge and do it up big time, you can spread your handkerchief over a rock and have a MRE with the hot pack and enjoy the cookies or Tabasco, depending on what meal you choose...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Let's be honest here. If you are spending that much time on a meal, when are you hunting?

Yeah, cause there's never any down time in a deer camp.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Let's be honest here. If you are spending that much time on a meal, when are you hunting? Ours has been and continues to be elegantly simple.

We do it on a 3 day rotation so that nothing gets old. It doesn't start in any particular order, but we will have:

Chili over Frito's corn chips

Chow mein

Dinty Moore beef stew.

This is a 3 day rotation, starting where ever you want and then move the next night to the next meal. If you are gone over 3 days, you just start over again and even after a week you won't eat one meal more than twice.

During the day, you can do some jerky and cheese, if you really want to splurge and do it up big time, you can spread your handkerchief over a rock and have a MRE with the hot pack and enjoy the cookies or Tabasco, depending on what meal you choose...

You'll just have to trust us grin

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i spend a week plus in deer camp. being a PA Hunky, i do big batches early and eat leftovers after hunting all day.

stuffed cabbages
haluski
peirogies
meatloaf
ham
mac & cheese
meatball hoagies

it can all be crock potted or warmed up quick.

last year i did venison Pasties. i think they will be in the rotation from here on.

My diploma is a DD214
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
last year i did venison Pasties

That sounds good...would like to know how you put this together...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Higbean

Let's be honest here. If you are spending that much time on a meal, when are you hunting?

Yeah, cause there's never any down time in a deer camp.

We usually put an elk or two down the first day, so there is always some one in camp after that that can do the cooking.

Sour cream enchiladas, tortilla casserole, Fajitas, Green chili stew , Parmesan Chicken, lasagna, pork chop casserole.

I'll do some peach cobble in the DO with whipped cream and sweet cream poured over it and maybe some fresh corn bread spaghetti, pork chop casserole.

Darn site better than Dinty Moore

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I had a friend that lived on beanie weenie while hunting sick but to each his own

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Casserole on the first day???? Not where I hunt!

Originally Posted by GregW
Originally Posted by GregW
At some point I always bust out some good ole homemade King Ranch chicken casserole as a change from the usual brats, steaks, etc.

Most people do not know what it is but they sure as hell do when the container is emptied -

OK now give up the recipe dammit!

Okay - It is fantastic. It is also one of the better the second and third day casseroles. So many versions of it and can go from very simple to more complex.

This one stolen off the internet is pretty dang close to how I do mine, except I do not use heavy cream. I use cream of mushroom soup instead. I also do not use red bell peppers.

Copy/pasted:

If the Legislature were to declare a state casserole (and I�m surprised it hasn�t), it would have to be the King Ranch. A staple of school lunchrooms and church suppers, frat houses and funerals, it is, according to a particularly astute hostess quoted in 1966 in the San Antonio Light, �a hit with men as well as with women guests.�

As far as anyone can tell, the recipe does not hail from the real King Ranch; how many yard birds have you seen in photos of that majestic spread? More likely it�s a Junior League attempt at chilaquiles or a Texas take on chicken � la king. And though it is a member in good standing of the condensed-soup canon, those bland, oddly comforting, Gerber-invoking turkey tetrazzinis and tuna noodles simply cannot compete with the exotic King Ranch, whose lively Tex-Mex flavors�spicy chile powders, zesty roasted peppers, earthy mushrooms�coalesce in one sublime, admittedly unattractive package. So lively are these flavors supposed to be, in fact, that I propose you ditch the cans (except for the wholly respectable Ro-Tel) and make this from-scratch version from Texas cookbook author Rebecca Rather. One bite of this �steaming mass of melted mush� (as this magazine once lovingly referred to the KRC) should put you right back in Mom�s kitchen�but not in your high chair.

RECIPE
Serves 10 to 12
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 yellow onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, chopped
8 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1/2 cup heavy cream
3 mild green chiles, roasted, peeled (stems and seeds discarded), and diced
1 ten-ounce can Ro-Tel
18 corn tortillas
1 cooked chicken (poached or roasted), meat shredded
1 cup shredded Jack cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar

Melt the butter in a large saut� pan over medium heat. Add the vegetables and saut� on medium-low about 7 minutes. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne, salt, and pepper and cook for 1 minute. Sprinkle in flour, 1/2 cup at a time, and stir until the white is no longer visible. Whisk in 3 cups of the stock, 1 cup at a time, until smooth. Whisk in cream and stir in chiles and tomatoes.

Preheat the oven to 350. Grease a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with butter. Pour remaining 1/2 cup of stock into a bowl. Stack the tortillas in the bowl, 6 at a time, to moisten, then line the bottom of the pan with the tortillas, making sure they overlap each other by about one third. Cover the tortillas with half the sauce. Add half the chicken and sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Add a second layer of soaked tortillas, the remaining sauce and chicken, and another third of the cheese. Top with the remaining tortillas and cheese.

Bake for about an hour, until bubbling and lightly browned on top. Remove from the oven and let sit for 10 minutes before serving.

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Slave, you are truly elegant.....

Originally Posted by wageslave
We do steak oscar on the night before elk opening day. Even put white linen on the folding table. Not surprisingly we have non-hunting visitors that stop by on that night.....
Can't figure out why...

[Linked Image]

Filet Mignon, crab, asparagus and hollendise. (sp).

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."
Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
I guess we're just weird cause we cook dinner once the sun goes down.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That King Ranch casserole sounds good.
I'll be making some of that.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

589 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 160user, 12344mag, 007FJ, 67 invisible), 2,392 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,334
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.