Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by rost495
light 22 or 22 mag, scoped. Noise will do it and if not a few hits with a 22 mag should get anything out there headed the ohter way.

I"d really be thinking pistol myself.... but you noted his shooting is not that good anymore, though I'd offer to think that optics could change that...

I appreciate all of the ideas.

What is happening is that wolves interact with off-leash dogs and exhibit all sorts of submissive/"come play" body language, and then then the dog is close enough, they turn on it and kill it. It would be a shame to loose a mature, fully trained GWP that is a member of the family to such an encounter. But it does mean that the fatal encounter could easily be playing out at 50-60 yards, maybe further. It is going to require quick and precise shooting--you don't want your dog falling to friendly fire. I really think a handgun is out, unless your name is Miculek.

Early evidence is that wolves in MT are not super shy to gunshots--they have not been hunted enough to have that fear. Popping off a couple of rounds of .22 mag in the hopes that it will run off does not seem to be a robust strategy.

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
The point that they are trying to make is that what you want doesn't exist. You're not getting an AR to that weight. A Montana doesn't make weight.

Viable options-

An 8in 300 Blackout AR.
A 10.5in 5.56mm AR either as an SBR or as a "pistol" with a SIG Stabilizing Brace.
A Keltec PMR 30 with a red dot.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The point that they are trying to make is that what you want doesn't exist.

With that in mind, where are you/he most willing to compromise?

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If I have a 22 mag and a wolf at a 100 yards, I'm shooting to kill it, not scare it off.

I'm still only seeing unobtanium past the .223 montana.

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Montana is the highest connect percentage...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you want light weight and range without going pistol ill also say go with a Kimber Montana in 223....my 84M in 260 makes my AR feel heavy as hell and it only has a red dot sight right now....the Montana is a joy to pack....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll throw out another model....
Only suggestion I've heard that pretty much meets the criteria the OP asked for. Not an AR, but would put the hurt on a wolf out past 100 yrds.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/su-16b/rifle/

"The Ballpark burgers were free, why not eat them?"
- Wabi-
V
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
V
AR pistol with the right components could be your 4lb system. You can put a rubber cover on the end of the buffer tube and put the tube on your shoulder and get by to 100+ yards no problem. Mount a red dot well forward and you are in business.

Also the rossi ranch hand would work in a similar way (shouldered with a forward red dot) and weighs 4lbs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'd rather let my dog get eaten than touch off multiple rounds from a 10.5" AR without earpro.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
The point that they are trying to make is that what you want doesn't exist. You're not getting an AR to that weight. A Montana doesn't make weight.

Well, he is beginning to admit that you may well be right. He dug out about a dozen of this lightest rifles last night and weighed them all. He now realizes how much lighter than everything he has--including his .22lr rifles--a sub 5# gun would be.

But I have been poking around over on ar15.com. Some guys are building things lighter than I thought possible on that platform.

[Linked Image]

It is hard to read the weight on the scales, but it looks like 3# 15 oz to me. But just the photo is posted--no details on the components that were used. But other components are discussed in the thread in which the photo appears.

Lightweight AR15 builds

IC B3

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
On the above rifle, the stock and lower and a single piece of plastic. They were selling them a few year back at the gunshows, but you don't see them anymore. They lacked sufficient structural integrity around the receiver pins. In addition, you cannot swap in a collapsible or different pistol grip. The ergonomics on the grip leave something to be desired.

The free-float tube is carbon fiber, very light.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Set him up for success.

Hint.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by RUM7
I'll throw out another model....
Only suggestion I've heard that pretty much meets the criteria the OP asked for. Not an AR, but would put the hurt on a wolf out past 100 yrds.

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/su-16b/rifle/

That is a good suggestion. I have thought that the 16c could be handy.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Easy to pass on the Keltec......

You can build a lightweight AR but not 4.5lbs. The garbage receiver that you posted is just that, garbage.

Tell him to come off the weight and build/buy something worthwhile.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My 10/22 takedown with Williams rear peep weighs 4 1/2 pounds. Might not kill it. But it probably won't want to play with the dog for awhile.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You boys are going to talk me into a Montana 223 yet..................(grin)

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
KelTec sub2000 might be a good option. Mine weighs in at around 5 lbs and 9mm +P out of a 16" barrel is more than adequate for 100 yards. The stock sights are chintsy but functional and you can swap them out for AR type. Adding an optic isn't as easy but can be done with a forearm swap.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm hoping he loves dad,a BUNCH more than that POS.................

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The guy is 80 years old. He's not some 16 year old Mall Ninja.

What he really needs is a simple reliable bolt action rifle with a quality fixed power scope.

Oh wait....someone already suggested that!!

Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Montana .223 with a 4x33 scope, shooting 65 gr. GKs or similar.

Not going to make your weight, but plenty light.

TC1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm not a big fan of the poly lowers but the Cavalry Arms Mk II lower is about the best of them and they are light. It does away with a lot of the small items that tended to crack and break on most poly's. The trade off is you give up a lot of choices, stocks, grips, etc.

Considering this is going to be a "light duty" application and weight is paramount that lower might not be a bad choice at all. Mate it up with a 14.5" lightweight barrel, upper receiver W/O foward assist, pinned flash hidder, carbon tube and a red dot sight and you would have a handy little rifle.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 222ND, 257 mag, 2003and2013, 67 invisible), 2,485 guests, and 1,278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,200
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.