24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
If I had a daughter,I'd get her a Montucky or two...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
ARIC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Though I'd draw the line at letting a girl,shoot a Bear................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
If you want something nice and compact, but a little heavier than you'd like, how about a FNH PS90?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by Big Stick
If I had a daughter,I'd get her a Montucky or two...............

They were on my list, we just didn't see any today. The Classic was as close as I could come. A .223/.308 set with a pair of gold rings would cover alot of ground.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
For the situation originally mentioned, I would run a Ruger 77/22 Magnum, in the original stainless/boat paddle configuration, with a Leupie 2.5 Ultralight shooting Federal 50 grain bullets.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR
If there was a good dependable AR that weighed in under 5 lbs, I'd have one.

But there are certain things I won't settle for and the carbon/plastic guns are not for me. As to John Burns' carbon 15, I've seen too many of those have problems when a friend used to sell them way before BM bought them out. John is lucky he found a good one.

Well I got a good one. I think they had all the bugs worked out about the time Bushmaster did the hostile takeover of the company. Kind of sad that nobody is making something equivalent.

My nieces love the thing. grin

[Linked Image]
Far right. They get to shoot HD ARs too. grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

That thing is about a perfect match to the OP specs. I would love to wade into a wolf pack with it and a 20 round PMAG of 70gr VLDs. laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Montucky 223/.243/.257, they would all kill wolves just fine.

Can you hook me up with a link?

Thanks
kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by kwg020
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Montucky 223/.243/.257, they would all kill wolves just fine.

Can you hook me up with a link?

Thanks
kwg
Kimber Montana.
http://www.kimberamerica.com/rifles/model-84m/montana-3

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by UPhiker
If you want something nice and compact, but a little heavier than you'd like, how about a FNH PS90?

Another interesting notion, which I appreciate, but the price might be a bit of a stumbling block. Not that it is out of the question, but I would probably need to make sure there were no equally effective choices at a lower price point before recommending it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the link UPhiker.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B3

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
A P90!? Holy crap mall ninjas are real.....

You realize the 5.7 is virtually identical to a 22WMR in terminal ballistics, correct?

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Another interesting notion, which I appreciate, but the price might be a bit of a stumbling block. Not that it is out of the question, but I would probably need to make sure there were no equally effective choices at a lower price point before recommending it.

The 16" version is 6 1/2 pounds before optics and a loaded magazine.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
A P90!? Holy crap mall ninjas are real.....

You realize the 5.7 is virtually identical to a 22WMR in terminal ballistics, correct?
Yeah, and I hate the PS90. It seemed like it would fit his scenario. He was worried about wolves (plural), which would probably mean that he wanted a semi and he didn't have the steadiness for a handgun.
The PS90 is short, light, handy, overpriced and ugly.

Last edited by UPhiker; 09/01/14.
U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
I have never worked with it, but I thought it was more Hornet/.218 Bee category.

I can scarcely imagine the look on peoples' faces when the pleasant looking old guy and the fuzzy dog go ambling past, with a PS90 slung on. That would pucker the Missoula latte crowd.

But back to our regularly scheduled programming...I am not an AR15 wonk. I do not know all the tinker toys that are out there that people are using to build them up. I posted this in the AR forum because I wanted to learn from people with more experience how light one could feasibly go in that platform.

We are on page 8 of the thread, and I really do not have a much better sense of an answer to that straightforward question than I did before, except that it is possible to go so light as to become questionable in terms of function. It is clear that Big Stick likes the Kimber Montana, but I think we learned that about 15,000 posts ago.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Oh how I wanted one of those to work and I'm sure some did but Murphy knows where I live.

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Originally Posted by TWR
Oh how I wanted one of those to work and I'm sure some did but Murphy knows where I live.

And if it is not reliable, it is not worth carrying.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Ever give thought to a 223 Montana?

Hint.................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TWR

What were the issues? Mine cycles fast and a good mag is a requirement.

It is gassed pretty heavy but that does not bother me if the mag is up to the task of getting the next round set for feeding. I will replace the bolt at 2000rnds. Like a pistol gased AR it just makes sense. grin

Sure would beat a silly bolt gun if a fellow was neck deep in a wuff pack. laugh

Originally Posted by utah708
Originally Posted by TWR

And if it is not reliable, it is not worth carrying.

Yet mine is very reliable. cool And worth carrying to boot. grin

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
John, you know a lot more about AR's then I do.

What light profile barrel would you choose?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I've shot or got,everything thus far cited...save the P90.

Pass the Montucky 223 and hold the Fluff.

Hint...................

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
158 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 2,001 guests, and 947 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.