Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by utah708
My father lives in Western Montana, and wants a special gun for wolf protection when he is out hiking. The protection is not for him, but for his bird dog. Wolves have killed a number of dogs in recent years, so the threat is credible.

The performance parameters:
able to dispatch a wolf up to 100 yards
multiple repeat shot capability
very light--4-4.5# would be ideal
compact
more accuracy than a handgun permits.

The only thing I can think of that comes close to meeting these parameters would be built off the AR15 receiver. But this is not my specialty, so I thought I would get some advice. This gun is for carrying, not for high volume shooting, so a polymer lower is certainly a possibility. He has suppressed weapons, so getting a tax stamp is not out of the question. He does not have a .22 can.

What would you build? (The more details you can provide, the better.)

Have you thought about an M1 carbine?

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Didn't mean to horn you up.

Hell...maybe after another 20yrs of working the Drive-Thru window,you'll be able to afford a used Montana and get your first phuqqing clue.

Then again.

Laughing!...............

Yea you did. Apparently I wasn't listening. I'm seeing Montuckys for around $1200. Is that in the ball park?

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
m1 carbine 5.5 lbs 15 rd mag accurate to a 100 plus

FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If he's not afraid of tax stamps, I'd start w this upper:
BCM LW fluted 11.5-in.
Take off the dust cover, remove & plug the forward assist, drop an Aimpoint H1 on it Zeroed for 100 yards at the top of the dot & don't even bother w BUIS. Oughta be good to 200 yards easy.

Put it on a good polymer lower, w a decent trigger, and a standard RE sans stock and call it a pistol until the stamp comes in. Get 20-rd Magpuls stuffed w 40-gr pills. More tissue damage for gutshots; let those bastiches suffer...

Oughta be Uber Wulf Defense Systema, and feathery enough for a mature shooter who packs a Whelen regularly.

I'm about to turn 55 and am doing sumpin similar based on an LMT Mk18 upper I Grabbed after Newtown Panic began. I'm replacing the A2 FH w a Troy Claymore to push the noise away from my raggedy azz remaining hearing. grin

Last edited by ColdCase1984; 09/07/14.

�When in doubt, I whip it out.� Uncle Ted
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ColdCase1984
I'd he's not afraid of tax stamps, I'd start w this upper:
BCM LW fluted 11.5-in.
Take off the dust cover, remove & plug the forward assist, drop an Aimpoint H1 on it Zeroed for 100 yards at the top of the dot & don't even bother w BUIS. Oughta be good to 200 yards easy.

Put it on a good polymer lower, w a decent trigger, and a standard RE sans stock and call it a pistol until the stamp comes in. Get 20-rd Magpuls stuffed w 40-gr pills. More tissue damage for gutshots; let those bastiches suffer...

Oughta be Uber Wulf Defense Systema, and feathery enough for a mature shooter who packs a Whelen regularly.

I'm about to turn 55 and am doing sumpin similar based on an LMT Mk18 upper I Grabbed after Newtown Panic began. I'm replacing the A2 FH w a Troy Claymore to push the noise away from my raggedy azz remaining hearing. grin

I posted this earlier. I have two of these lowers and I am happy with them.

ONe of these
http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu103.htm

And one of these
http://www.tnarmsco.com/sale-flat-dark-earth-complete-lower-magpul-moe-equipped/

And an A-2 handle and a nylon sling and you are right at 6 lbs. Add the weight of a 20 round magazine and you might be up to 6.5 lbs.

It's easy to carry and fast to handle. kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are a tad bit heavier than 5lbs but why not a Ruger Mini 14?

Or a Montucky 223, I hear they work well too. lol

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
Did I mention...
[Linked Image]

U
utah708 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
U
Just to close the loop in this project...

I ordered a Professional Ordnance off gunbroker; it came out to be right at $600 after shipping and paperwork. I put a small Zeiss red dot on it, and with a 10 rd Magpul magazine, it weighs 4# 11 oz.

Based on John Burns' thread comments and some PMs with him about it being "overgassed," I decided to slow down the cycling speed by loading some 40 gr bullets and a light charge of BL-C2 using .222 data. So far, with over 50 rounds through it, there has not been a single failure to function.

For very niche application, I think it will work out well.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 34 invisible), 2,422 guests, and 1,042 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,848
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.