Print Thread
Hop To
W
whit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Went to the range this morning to try out Blackhorn in my Traditions Pursuit. Since I was setting up my chronograph, I also took my Lyman Deerstalker to try loads with the Barnes 230gr 45 xpb with 90 gr pyrodex rs. I had horrible velocities (1270fps) and difficulties getting it to fire. Has anyone tried Black MZ in their flintlock?
The Blackhorn loads in the Pursuit look promising. 110gr with a 200 gr 44 cal Barnes xpb clocked 1966fps.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Unless it's impossible to get for some reason, BP is the only way to go in a flinter. You've got to have it for the pan anyway.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BP rules in consistency, and if you're running a flintlock it is the only way to go.

I run BP in my cap locks, flintlocks, and inlines. I've never had a problem with ignition, have great consistency, very good velocity, and if I have half a brain cell at all, no problems on clean up.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
forget about MZ in your lyman, its very chunky and clogs up the powder channel, most likely the same problem you are having with RS.

Try pyrodex P, it will go through the powder channel with no problem.

W
whit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I started hunting with blackpowder, The issue I am having is the pyrodex is degrading over the last year losing velocity. I as hoping to switch to a cleaner burning, more humidity tolerant powder. I don't shoot enough to burn threw a pound in a year or three.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Then go to BP.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
Then go to BP.

If you don' shoot enough to burn a pound, the little bit of extra cleanup should be no big deal.

Pyrodex and 777 used in a flintlock require a small amount of FFFF in the barrel under the main charge to ensure proper ignition, per Hodgdon. One more reason to just use BP.

Pyrodex has a pretty good reputation for stability, if stored properly in the original container.
BP just lasts. I've had no trouble with year-old quickloads or powder kept in a good flask. I would never trust 777 that had been open for even a year except for practice.

Last edited by Pappy348; 08/31/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
S
I have had Pyrodex and 777 both go bad in a year. These were stored in their original container, in a Zip Lock and then in a GI ammo sealed can.
I would not even use it for practice as the groups are enlarged and you end up thinking something is wrong with the gun. I went back to BP

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I never kept any Pyrodex for a long time and gave up on it years ago as I found it very hard to light. I was just repeating what I read concerning the longevity.

So far, BH 209 is great in my new inline, but isn't as versatile as BP for general use. For now, I'll probably be using 777, BH, and BP, depending on the gun and load.

What fresh Hell is this?
W
whit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I never had to put 4f in the barrel to light off pyrodex. I was hoping to find a cleaner burning, noncorrosive substitute.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are shooting a flintlock, it's a BP game.

M
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by whit
I never had to put 4f in the barrel to light off pyrodex. I was hoping to find a cleaner burning, noncorrosive substitute.

Black powder really isn't very corrosive. Black powder fouling is hygroscopic, but with a modicum of cleaning corrosion will never be an issue. Many 200+ year old flintlocks survive today with relatively good bores. I believe much of the black powder corrosion issues need to be blamed on the corrosive compounds used in the original percussion caps and primers for the early cartridge rifle that used black powder loads. The combination of the black powder fouling drawing moisture and the corrosive nature of the early percussion caps and primers made for a bad mixture that guaranteed barrel corrosion if one didn't keep them clean.

I've been using nothing but BP for many years in my muzzleloaders with no issues with corrosion. I keep my rifles clean but I'm not obsessive about it.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Where did you get the idea Pyrodex is noncorrosive or even less corrosive than real black powder?

It basically BP with other things added. One of them being very corrosive in the presence of water. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potassium_perchlorate

Last edited by Overkill45; 08/31/14.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

777 is less corrosive and cleaner, but like Pyrodex, the manufacturer recommends a 5grain FFFF booster under the main charge for flintlocks. It also doesn't keep well and after a few shots you may need to knock out the crud ring just forward of the chamber, unless you're shooting well-lubed PRBs.

You have choices, but none of them give you everything you want.

What fresh Hell is this?
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Pyrodex has a pretty good reputation for stability, if stored properly in the original container.
BP just lasts. I've had no trouble with year-old quickloads or powder kept in a good flask. I would never trust 777 that had been open for even a year except for practice.

In my experiences Pyrodex lasts poorly if exposed to atmospheric conditions. I have had trouble with it absorbing moisture, FTF.

This is the first I had heard of long-term stability issues with 777. Not encouraging, as I have a few lbs squirreled away for a rainy day.

Originally Posted by Archerhunter

Quit giving in inch by inch then looking back to lament the mile behind ya and wonder how to preserve those few feet left in front of ya. They'll never stop until they're stopped. That's a fact.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i had 777 that wouldn't go off after 6month even when it had been vacuum sealed. called hodgdon they told me that 777 was 10 times more likely to draw moisture than regular pyrodex. they replaced the 777. i tossed it all and bought blackhorn 209.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I'll probably continue to buy a pound every year because it shoots so good in my Greyhawk, but I'll use it up or toss it away before the next season. I'll also keep a little BP, just in case.

I recently saw a 209 priming system that replaces the standard nipple and is said to allow the use of BH209 in sidelocks. I think I'll get one. For less than 30 bucks, it's worth a shot.

Last edited by Pappy348; 09/02/14.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll probably continue to buy a pound every year because it shoots so good in my Greyhawk, but I'll use it up or toss it after before the next season. I'll also keep a little BP, just in case.

I recently saw a 209 priming system that replaces the standard nipple and is said to allow the use of BH209 in sidelocks. I think I'll get one. For less than 30 bucks, it's worth a shot.

Bought one for my T/C New Englander .50 works great.

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Thar's good to know. With the availability of everything in flux these days, it's good to have options.

Are you using BH 209 in the New Englander?

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Thar's good to know. With the availability of everything in flux these days, it's good to have options.

Are you using BH 209 in the New Englander?

Yes and none of my front stuffers will ever see triple 7 or Pyrodex again.It's the Cadillac of BP impostors IMO..

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

610 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 58 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,638
Posts18,455,306
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.