Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
He needs to install a post about 8-10" in diameter to lean back against and then the long range stuff would be more fun than you could stand.

Amazing the calculations the brain can do after a few long range shots to calibrate.

I miss having a spot to shoot like that.

Aim small, Hit small

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob truly was a joy and a blessing. We did a couple of fun things, but Bob also carted me around to several DR's appointments including one emergency trip when I foolishly removed my shooting glasses as he was shooting my 10mm. One of the cases took off at a different angle than the others, barely missing his ear, thusly coming straight at observer me and causing a burn and cut to my right Cornea. It healed up well, but what a painful and terrifying lesson.

Bob, I am sorry that I am not up to long dual sport MC rides or all day fishing excursions etc. I truly hope that you will get back this way when I am post Kidney Transplant. More like my real (Strong and able bodied as well as clearer thinking) self.

RE my 'adjustment' tools from the SMLE Mk lV, I swear, that is the armorour spec adjustment tool for those things! grin

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mark...you do what you can when you can.... I just enjoy the company regardless of the limitations...

From where we usually shoot the long range handguns from the porch there is a futon frame to use as a back rest. In the field I use a ground chair as was invented by CrazyCreek. It is a great and comfortable portable back rest.

This morning I wanted to start shooting before the wind came up as I had a feeling my horizontal zero was not correct. So I sent up a portable cover over Mackay's bench and put a target frame up at what lasered to be 425 yards.

[Linked Image]

Used the motorcycle to check and patch the targets.

As suspected at 425 yards I was 7" right. Gave it 6 clicks right and came up about an inch short...so with one more click it is dialed in for zero wind...

[Linked Image]

That is a 6" paper desert plate...much easier to see than the black bullseye. First group to the right was about 2.5". The one on the plate about 1.5".

I then tried the 790 yard plate and scored a first round hit...

Just a wonderful day out here on the sage brush flats...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Bob, At least you were able to eat good, rest up some and get caaught up on your laundry, eh? smile

That cabin set up looks like a lot of fun. Your host invited me to come out for a visit and I am itching to go even more now. As soon as I feel up to trips like that again, that part of Idaho will be on my very short list!

My first motorcycle after being off of them for about 20 years was a KLR650. Terrific all around bikes with a high utility factor, high dependability factor and a pretty good fun factor all rolled into one.

CONGRATULATIONS on some very fine shooting. And I am enjoying the reports and photos from your adventure quite a lot. Thanks for sharing them.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Got the 5" 57 out tonight...

[Linked Image]

My only neighbor for 10 miles came over and shot also..

[Linked Image]

Bob

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Eating elk between shooting distant targets:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Bob got some action shots.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Mackay...you need to eat more fresh vegetables....

Bob

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for sharing the story and photos.. Enjoy every minute..

Molon Labe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RJM
Mackay...you need to eat more fresh vegetables....

Bob

Vegetables, is what food eats. grin

My ancestors did not claw their way to the top of the food chain so that I could again eat like a damned rabbit! wink

IC B3

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Balanced diet Mark....balanced....

My driveway at home in NH is 380' above sea level...Mackays cabin is at 6750'..the "hill" behind the cabin is 8600' and where the sagebrush is that is our handgun target is 7200'.

Well one of us got the bright idea of putting a target up there that we could see better. Mackay has a 24" gong at 110 yards that we use for a handgun target and he proposed to move it up there... I wasn't sure it would give any better target picture than the sagebrush so in looking over the pile of scrap lumber out hack found a nice 3x3' piece of chipboard. So Sunday I humped two 5' t-posts up the hill...no small feat for me...

Monday I borrowed a post pounder from the neighbor but instead of humping it and the plywood all the way from the cabin, decided to "drive" them up instead... So I loaded them into the Ford diesel truck and started climbing... I must be sufferining from oxygen starvation as the higher I drove the flatter it seemed...except reason kept telling me that looking from the porch it was STEEP up there.. Well when I passed Mackay's 800 yard gong I knew something wasn't right so about 20 yards past the gong I stopped to unload the plywood and post pounder...and IT WAS VERY STEEP!!!

Now going up and coming down is one thing...but how does one turn around without rolling over... So very carefully I executed a nice gentle K-turn until the nose was pointed down hill and put the tranny in Low Range 1st Tow and walked the truck back down....

This is a shot of the whole draw behind the cabin...

[Linked Image]

This is a telephoto shot of the truck tracks going up. Where they end is where the 800 yard gong is and I turned left at the gong and kept going up the hill another 20 yards or so...

[Linked Image]

Yesterday was the first absolutely cloudless day since I came here on Ausgust 1st. The Mackay/Challis area have had record rains this year. Last year Mackay and I set up targets across the dry Mackay reservoir and could easily see the puffs of dirt from the bullet impact out to 550 yards....this year it is all green grass and too boggy to even walk out there. So it was a wonderful day to take a ride on the motorcycle...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Scenery is just spectacular...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140901_141013_zps235e30a4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...14/20140901_141034_zps6225c070.jpg[/img]

Rode a little under 200 miles total and could not have been nicer...

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
This morning I wanted to finish the project because I needed to get the pounder back to the neighbor and Mackay is coming up on Friday...

So I grabbed some spray paint and started up to get the plywood and pounder and drag them the rest of the way up the mountain...

First stopped at the 800 yard gong and gave it some paint...

[Linked Image]

Then carried the plywood and pounder up the side of the hill to a nice open spot where the bullet impacts could be seen.

Looking down at the cabin from the hill..

[Linked Image]

Target up...

[Linked Image]

Looking over the target at the cabin...

[Linked Image]

This is what it looks like from the cabin...the rock pile is just over the target at 1:00 o'clock and the sagebrush is at 3:30...

[Linked Image]

Next time I am up there going to move the rocks behind the target frame...

Now to find something else to do for the rest of the day..

Bob

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Well about 1500 went out for another motorcycle ride and did the same area Mackay and I did the first Sunday we rode...the Upper Pahsimeroi Valley... Unlike the Lower Valley there are no houses out there and 90% of the land is BLM... Just miles and miles of dirt road, two tracks and 4-wheeler paths..very easy to get "misplaced". That is the nice thing about the Kawasaki KLR650...a 6 gallon gas tank and 50+ MPG. You have to get lost for a long time before running out of fuel.

Did 137 miles almost 100 was dirt and got 52 MPG.... And just as the sun was going down I got "misplaced" but fortunately ran into two 4-wheelers that told me where the correct turn was...and they were only the second people I had seen in 3+ hours of riding...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Sun going down and lots of miles left...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/019_zps1e30e52c.jpg[/img]

Top of the pass....all down hill from here...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/021_zpsd7a7e6b8.jpg[/img]

One final canyon and out...

[img]http://i17.photobucket.com/alb...tion%207-15-14/026_zps42200af0.jpg[/img]

...and today is another cloudless day....

Bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I need to explore that country, some time smile Thanks for the photos.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

R
RJM Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by LouisB
He needs to install a post about 8-10" in diameter to lean back against and then the long range stuff would be more fun than you could stand.

Amazing the calculations the brain can do after a few long range shots to calibrate.

I miss having a spot to shoot like that.

Aim small, Hit small

Did some long range handgun shooting at the 800 yard target...decided to try the log in addtion to the ground chair..works much better thanks...

[Linked Image]

Nice clear day to shoot but the wind is running 20+ from the north. The bullet takes almost 2 seconds before impact so one can self spot the dust cloud without messing up the followthrough... Most were close, like horse shoes, but I think I managed to put one out of 18 on target...

Bob

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
That's friggin' awesome smile

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
RJM,

Great pictures and write up. Thanks for taking us along!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Looks like a lot of fun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
[Linked Image]

I just came a little.....

Nice Five Seven.

Looks like a great time!

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
RJM, WONDERFUL PHOTOS AND STORY.. SOME AWESOME COUNTRY.. Have been in the lower part of that valley, sometime before the cards run out, I must drive the entire way though.. Have a great time.. Be careful..

Molon Labe
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

192 members (2ndwind, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 44automag, 348srfun, 31 invisible), 2,006 guests, and 1,050 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,488
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.