Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Simple question for those that have a scope like this.

When you do your side focus adjustment for the first time, and need to relocate the knob to properly match "infinity" with the hash mark on the scope...

I take the set screw loose on the knob, and am able to pop the knob outward about 1/8''. Here is where I'm not sure. The book says diddly squat that came with the scope at this point, in fact it says nothing about re-aligning the knob at all. When I then rotate the knob to realign the marks, it still feels like I'm moving the paralax mechanism just as if the knob were pushed all the way like normal.

So is there a friction inducer of some kind, that acts on the knob no matter if its pushed in or not? Or am I still indeed moving the paralax mechanism when I don't want to?

GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Why are you trying to realign the parallax knob and what are you trying to accomplish?

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Formidilosus
Why are you trying to realign the parallax knob and what are you trying to accomplish?

When you setup a rifle scope, you first adjust the eyepiece threaded all the way out, and slowly work clockwise until the reticle becomes sharp the instant you look through the scope.

Then, you rest the rifle/scope steady, and you dial the side focus knob past infinity until it stops, and slowly you move your eye around, noting the parallax, and you work the side focus knob back until there is no longer any parallax. This is your new "infinity" setting.

So if you want to, but it isn't required, you can loosen the set screw on the side focus knob, and re-align the knob so the infinity marking on the knob, actually matches the hash mark on the scope.

It isn't required, but it may speed up a guy's ability to focus his scope properly at known distances.

Personal preference you might call it. Some guys just start past infinity and dial back until there is no parallax, its up to you.

But, enough on that. VX-3 folks, inform me! I'll be calling Leupold Monday, but Sunday would be much more relaxing if I knew the answer to my OP.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Wow..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by esmith
in fact it says nothing about re-aligning the knob at all.

No kidding.....

IC B2

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by RDFinn
in fact it says nothing about re-aligning the knob at all.

No kidding.....

I see you two are on the side of leaving the knob alone. More power to you.

Curious why the sarcasm if you could be bothered to share wisdom. Side focus knobs seem to be intended to be realigned according to each users vision. Nikon monarch pops out without a set screw. Vx-3 works as mentioned.

You'd imagine they wouldn't design them that way if they were to be left alone. Do you also leave your target turrets as is for different load recipes?

Last edited by esmith; 08/31/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Do you "think" you are going to get a LRF reading and dump dope in the erector and then same in the side focus,prior to the view?

PLEASE say "yes".

Laughing!.................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Do you "think" you are going to get a LRF reading and dump dope in the erector and then same in the side focus,prior to the view?

PLEASE say "yes".

Laughing!.................

Classy guys...

I merely want the 400yd line to actually mean something on the knob. When viewing an object a mile away the side focus removes parallax as I dial back to the 600 yard mark. Why would you leave the knob there and not reset that to the infinity line on the knob?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You really shoot a "lot" don't you?

Talk more about viewing things "a mile away".

Wow..............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
For more humor,cite the glass/mounts and rifle particulars,then their application(s).

It will be funny too................

IC B3

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Sure appreciate all your help so far.

You figure it out.

HOW TO SET UP A SCOPE!
This is the only way to do it...

First, screw the eyepiece out (CCW) all the way, until it stops.
If you wear glasses, put them on.
Hold the scope up and look OVER the scope at the sky, and relax your eyes. Then move the scope in front of your eye.
The reticle should look fuzzy
Turn the eyepiece in 1/2 turn, and do the same thing again. You will have to do for a while before the reticle starts to look better. When you start getting close, then turn the eyepiece 1/4 turn each time.
Do this until the reticle is fully sharp and fully BLACK immediately when you look through the scope.
Than back off one turn and do it again to make sure you are in the same place.
Then LOCK the ring on the eyepiece, and leave it alone forever!

Second.
Set the scope down on something solid, where it can see something at a long distance... half a mile of longer is good.
It can be on the rifle, and rested in sand bags at the range... but pick something at least 1000 yds away... even further if possible.
If the scope has an "AO" Adjustable objective, then set it for infinity, and look at the distant object, and move your head from one side to the other, or up and down if you prefer.
If the reticle seems to move, there is parallax.
Change the distance setting and try again... if you are very careful, you can move your eye, and adjust the distance at the same time, seeing which direction gets better.
With front objective adjustments, you can turn them either way without worry... BUT with side adjustment scopes, like the MK4-M3, the M3-LR, or the other LR family of scopes, the adjustment must ALWAYS be made from the infinity end of the dial. Turn the adjustment all the way until it stops (past infinity), and then start turning it in a little at a time, until there is no parallax. If you "overshoot" the proper setting, you can't just turn back a little, you must go back to stop at the end of the dial, and start over again.

While "AO"s dials are locked in place, and if the indicated distance doesn't match the real distance, there's nothing you can do about it... the side focus dials are not locked in place.
Once you have found the setting for infinity on the side focus models, then (CAREFULLY) loosen the screws, and set the dial so that little sideways infinity symbol is lined up with the hash mark, so it is calibrated. You can also make little marks or put on a paper tape for other ranges instead of using the round dots that don't match any range.

Now you can set it to infinity, but remember that you MUST turn the dial all the way past infinity to the stop, EVERY TIME before going from a close range to a longer range.
If you are set for 500 yds, you can go directly to 100 yds, but if you are set for 100 and want to set it to 500, you MUST go all the way back to the stop, and then go to 500.

This is because there is a fair amount of backlash (aka SLOP) in this wheel linkage to the focusing cell, so you can set it only from one direction to make sure the slop is always on one side. The other problem with it is, even if you decided that you wanted to calibrate from the other end... the recoil will push the cell back. SO you must ALWAYS set these dials from the infinity end of their scales.

To make it easy to not have to remember... I always start from the end stop, when I change range, no matter which direction I'm going in... it adds about 0.023 seconds!
---
Now... you gots a friend that says to set up a scope a different way???... he don't know doodly-squat about scopes.

The guy at the range said to do it a different way... he don't know either.

You know some guy who's in the Marines says to use your eyepiece to correct parallax... he doesn't know about optics either.

You got a friend that shoots benchrest and says something different... he don't know crapola!

This is the way, the only way, there is no other way.

You wanna "debate it", then go play golf, cuz you're wasting my time!

'lito (gettin' grumpy in my old age!)"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I may own a scope. Laughing!

Again...WTF glass is whipping your ass and what are the particulars of the rifle and what is it's application.

Then frost that humor,with a Treatise on your "one mile viewing"...if only for starters.

Funnier than hell,that Clueless Dumbphuqqs asking questions,soon "think" they can give "answers".

That Magic Pixie Dust is funny schit!.............

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by Big Stick
I may own a scope. Laughing!

Again...WTF glass is whipping your ass and what are the particulars of the rifle and what is it's application.

Then frost that humor,with a Treatise on your "one mile viewing"...if only for starters.

Funnier than hell,that Clueless Dumbphuqqs asking questions,soon "think" they can give "answers".

That Magic Pixie Dust is funny schit!.............

Yeah hilarious. Guy asked me what I'm trying to accomplish amd I try and explain.

Meanwhile some dude with time on his hands and almost 40,000 posts makes a jab about shooting a lot. How much can you possibly shoot when you have time to make 40,000 posts? Useless. Literally. If you can't help shut your mouth. I never said I was an expert. That's why I'm asking a question. God forbid somebody doesn't know everything huh?

It wont help anyone else unfortunately but you've made my list. Good luck on 50,000, I bet they'll all be real gems like these.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Admittedly,I'm not much fun to try and keep pace with.

Cheer up...nobody can jab you,as well as you can and in fairness you are kicking the schit out of yourself. Congratulations?

You are very obviously Clueless and that goes without saying,so there is no need to reiterate something so glaring.

Again: WTF glass is whipping your ass and what are the particulars of the rifle and what is it's application?

You'll want to take notes and apply same.

Hint.................

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
You don't see it, but he's trying help you.

Parallax adjustment has backlash. Lets say that you get parallax removed at 400 yards and then slip the ring so it aligns to 400 yards. You will not be able to adjust it to 400 yards later and it be parallax free at 400.

E
esmith Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
E

Parallax adjustment has backlash. Lets say that you get parallax removed at 400 yards and then slip the ring so it aligns to 400 yards. You will not be able to adjust it to 400 yards later and it be parallax free at 400.

Yes, well, some guys seem to let confidence become arrogance. If he knew the answer he could have said it. Instead he did what he did.

My knowledge is exactly what the write-up I posted above says. It also says there is backlash in the mechanism, so you have to start at the travel stop past the infinity mark, and dial back to remove parallax. The settings won't always be the same for various shots, but it will get you close. So my understanding is that the best way to remove parallax is always to dial back while moving your eye around a bit to make sure.

The knob realignment is really just an OCD thing to make a person feel better. But, there you have it, and my original question on this particular scope.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

You asked questions,went immediately to Whining and making Excuses,as well as filling out a Hurt Feelers Report...all without stating the germane particulars.

You're doing "great"!....................

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Yes, well, some guys seem to let confidence become arrogance. If he knew the answer he could have said it. Instead he did what he did.

My knowledge is exactly what the write-up I posted above says. It also says there is backlash in the mechanism, so you have to start at the travel stop past the infinity mark, and dial back to remove parallax. The settings won't always be the same for various shots, but it will get you close. So my understanding is that the best way to remove parallax is always to dial back while moving your eye around a bit to make sure.

The knob realignment is really just an OCD thing to make a person feel better. But, there you have it, and my original question on this particular scope.

You are on the right track. The reason there are set screws on the side focus is allow an individual to realign the scale after he focuses the reticule to his eye.

Just loosen the screws and the side focus dial will spin free and allow you to set the scale. Your issue is trying to pull the dial out, there is a flange on the focus shaft that requires you to back the set screws out further to completely remove the focus dial.

I always set my focus dial so the infinity mark is properly aligned. It is not an OCD thing. I don't want to be fiddling with the focus when it is time to shoot and simply dial to infinity for any shot on game past 400yds.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Couldn't you just turn the knob to the end of its travel?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Not with a POS 4.5-14x................

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

553 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 1minute, 59 invisible), 2,172 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,111
Posts18,464,361
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.