Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Anyone else have any experience with feeding soft point hunting bullets (Hornady spire points) in their AR variant? My DPMS LR 6.5 Creedmoor works great with 140gr plastic tipped bullets but gives me all kinds of trouble with soft points. It seems like the tips snag on the feed ramp and cause a jam. When they do feed, the brass gets gouged and the rifle ends up short stroking. Is this just me?

They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)
GB1

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Check the feed ramps for lead build up. Yes, sometimes AR's are finicky with exposed lead tip bullets.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Never ran lead tipped in the AR, BUT like anything else with feed ramps, often the weapons are much better if you sand/file/debur, polish the hell out of the ramps until they are very slick. Just like a 1911.

That would be where I'd start anyway

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You haven't ended up with an M4 cut upper and a non-M4 cut barrel extension have you?

"My message to my troops is if you see anybody carrying a gun on the streets of Milwaukee, we'll put them on the ground, take the gun away and then decide whether you have a right to carry it." - Milwaukee Police Chief Ed Flynn
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Agate_Flats
Anyone else have any experience with feeding soft point hunting bullets (Hornady spire points) in their AR variant? My DPMS LR 6.5 Creedmoor works great with 140gr plastic tipped bullets but gives me all kinds of trouble with soft points. It seems like the tips snag on the feed ramp and cause a jam. When they do feed, the brass gets gouged and the rifle ends up short stroking. Is this just me?

is it a new gun? How many rounds do you have thru it?

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by sherp
You haven't ended up with an M4 cut upper and a non-M4 cut barrel extension have you?

Yeah wow that wuold suck but I doin't think much of anything would feed in that?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
It is a factory rifle. I bought it new and have about 120 rounds through it. It runs great on 140 Amax factory and hand-loaded ammunition but it short strokes on 120gr Amax factory ammo. I've talked to DPMS and they're willing to take a look at it. I have no doubt they'll make it right, as they have a good reputation for customer service.
I have also hand-loaded various weights of soft point ammo, including 140gr and it just won't run them. I'm trying to figure out if it's reasonable of me to expect it to run on soft points before I ask DPMS about it. Using hand-loaded ammo actually voids the warranty on the rifle and there is no soft point ammo available commercially.
BTW, this is a .308 platform rifle, not an AR-15.

Last edited by Agate_Flats; 08/31/14.

They civilize left, they civilize right, 'til nothing is left and nothing is right. (Ben Rumson)

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

85 members (14idaho, 35, 280shooter, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 300_savage, 7 invisible), 1,552 guests, and 701 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,519
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.