Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Got some
Thanks

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by muddy22
Johnt, As a certified RSO there is no way I would let ANY 4 year old shoot on our NRA funded range no matter how many rounds of ammo you say he has shot. BTW the Hornet posts are pretty much right on, hope you find some brass, GO HAWKS.-Muddy

Gotta love range nazi's mad

I've never seen a properly trained and supervised child be a hazard at a range, but I have seen some adults that should not be handling firearms. Was it a 4 y/o that had to fiddle with his scope while everyone was down range checking their targets? Nope, it was a-dolt. Was it a 4 y/o that put a cocked and loaded pistol on the bench during a cease fire? Nope, it was a-dolt.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
My experiences with close calls at ranges were all a result of sub-12 year olds nutzing around. When called out, their adult whatever's blustered about how responsible the kid was, how well trained, blah, blah, blah. Happened three times at my old home range, three different kids, three different proud papas. One, the scariest, was the eight year old who reloaded his dad's M-1 carbine mag while we were all down range hanging targets, then thought he would do Pop a favor by saving him the trouble of pushing it into the gun and chambering a round. Of course, it went off accidentally- scaring the crap out of us. Theretofore, the old man had been bragging about how well trained Sonny Boy was. We bid them both a fond farewell, post haste. Do little kids at a range make me nervous? Yep. Do little kids lugging a loaded rifle almost as tall as they are in the crowded deer woods make me nervous? Yep. In 50 years of shooting/hunting I can't tell you how many proud Papas I've encountered who couldn't wait a couple years for a bit more maturity to season their kids before starting them out. In a hurry to start making memories? Chill out, there's plenty of time and you might well prevent a horrible accident...

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've run into more range trouble with adults than any children.

Children mature at differing rates. Some are ready, some are not. Properly supervised, I see no problem interesting children early, hopefully before they become enamored in everything else vying for their attention. Since many areas allow no shooting except at ranges, we need to figure out how to accommodate the younger shooter.

"Think about how stupid the average person is, and then think that half of the people are stupider than that" - George Carlin
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As noted above, Hornet brass is thin. Cases don't last long. I get best results using a Lee collet neck size die. With fire-formed neck sized brass, I am able to get 13.2 grains of Lil Gun into cases with the powder level about 1/8" below the mouth of the case. I use 40 grain plastic point bullets with that load. Remington cases are a bit bigger, and I can get 13.5 grains into a fire-formed case.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I have cases I have reloaded and shot well over twenty times. Never a problem with case life after I started using a bushing die and sizing about a 1/4" of the neck.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
So muddy/mr. sro......where did johnt_ms ever say he was gonna bring his son to your range, whatever state you're in, or any range? The kid probably spends a lot of time with a rifle.

IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

650 members (160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 01Foreman400, 65 invisible), 2,155 guests, and 1,159 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,136
Posts18,464,777
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.