-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Post count has absolutely nothing to do with having a clue.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Now, back on topic� one of my first POS rifles back in the mid 80's was a bastardized Rem 700 ADL on a 5 digit action, chambered 7mm Rem Mag with a fixed 4X Tasco sitting in IIRC was an early Ramline tupperware stock. The turret covers were held on with a rubber band because the threads were stripped out and the rifling was so worn out it would shoot 4" groups at 100 yds on a good day. I killed a lot of chit with that old rifle. Still have that action, built another shooter out of it that now get's sub 1" on a good day� turned a sows ear into a silk purse.

Oh, almost forgot� HINT, Laughing.

God Bless America!
m77 Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I guess in the end we all have a common interest here which is hunting. Each and every guy experience something different when we are out hunting and what ever that experience might be, that is what counts in the end and why we keep doing it. For some of us part of that experience is the equipment we use.

For one guy a plastic Tikka feels great and for another it feels like pastic smile

I have hunted with entry level rifles and the hunts were great, but I do prefer to hunt with a good looking rifle that feels good in my hands.

Pieter

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goalie

How can that possibly be??? Do any of you other guys actually go and kill stuff, grill it, and eat it, without using the forum's "preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo?

Been killing small stuff since the �50�s and big stuff since the early 80�s. Didn�t know back then and still don�t what the �"preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo� is. And I couldn�t care less.

That said, I once owned a Mossberg shotgun that was a true POS. The chances of me buying a Mossberg rifle for more than pocket change are about zero.

For the first 20 or so years I hunted with a $39 Bushnell 3-9x SportView. Much as I disliked the optics the scope was what I could afford at the time. It could and did take a beating without ever losing zero and never cost me a head of game. Still, and God willing, I�ll never hunt with such a scope again. These days I have a few Leupolds, most purchased used, and a bunch of Burris Fullfield II�s with Ballistic-plex reticles. None are �top shelf� scopes but they serve nicely.

Most of my rifles have been purchased used, some for under $250, most of the rest for under $400. I did buy a new Ruger Hawkeye in .300WM for $404 December 31st of last year at Dick�s and a used Ruger MKII stainless/laminate in .223 for $435 earlier this year at Cabelas.

This year I will be hunting elk with a Ruger American .30-06 with a 3-9x Burris FF-II Ballistic-Plex scope. Hardly a �"preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo� but it shoots 1� groups with Winchester 180g Power-Point ammo.

Daughter #1 will be using my 1989 Ruger M77 .257 Roberts, purchased used in 2004, with a Burris FF-II 3-9x Ballistic-Plex scope in the rings. She was shooting 1� groups with it at 100 yards last weekend and 100g TTSX and although she couldn�t hit the 8� steel at 600 yards due to wind, her bullets consistently impacted just off the right edge. Should work for antelope.

I�m surprised you didn�t espouse the �virtue� of using cup-and-core bullets, or whatever is on sale this week. This will be my 33rd year of big game hunting, the first in which I�ve used factory ammo and only the second in which I will have used cup-and-core bullets in a bolt rifle. Color me satisfied only if the Power-Points work as claimed.

If fact, that holds true for just about everything I purchase. The expression �You get what you pay for� isn�t always accurate but �cheaper is better� is less so.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

IC B2

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G

10/4

I used to surf the Pacific coast of Mexico, Mazatlan, San Blas,
Puerto Escondido. Would stay a month or more at a time. Met a number of Aussies. Good dudes. Could really rip. Didn't act like Kalifornicators (locals anywhere they went).

I grew up shooting irons. Just got lazy I guess. I've a Winchester carbine in 44 Mag I carry from time to time. I load it with heavy 44 Special. It wears irons, and I've picked up a couple Merkels and Sauers that have Recknagel or other QR mounts that have irons. I've not tried them at 100 but no problem hitting what I point at at 50'yds. Most of our shooting is from a rest, 80 to 300 yds. rather than spot and stalk, and early in my collecting career I was afflicted with magnum-itis and the lust for heavy barrel bean-field type rifles, sans irons. I am in recovery. I do keep my scopes on the lowest power when there might be an opportunity for that type of shot.

Best,

GWB

PS: always enjoy seeing pix of your fine country and critters!! (hint)

Last edited by geedubya; 09/03/14.

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by geedubya

10/4

I used to surf the Pacific coast of Mexico, Mazatlan, San Blas,
Puerto Escondido. Would stay a month or more at a time. Met a number of Aussies. Good dudes. Could really rip. Didn't act like Kalifornicators (locals anywhere they went).

I grew up shooting irons. Just got lazy I guess. I've a Winchester carbine in 44 Mag I carry from time to time. I load it with heavy 44 Special. It wears irons, and I've picked up a couple Merkels and Sauers that have Recknagel or other QR mounts that have irons. I've not tried them at 100 but no problem hitting what I point at at 50'yds. Most of our shooting is from a rest, 80 to 300 yds. rather than spot and stalk, and early in my collecting career I was afflicted with magnum-itis and the lust for heavy barrel bean-field type rifles, sans irons. I am in recovery. I do keep my scopes on the lowest power when there might be an opportunity for that type of shot.

Best,

GWB

PS: always enjoy seeing pix of your fine country and critters!! (hint)

A surfing Texan- ha! Must not be a native...

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Paradiddle

A surfing Texan- ha! Must not be a native...

born and bred.........

I will admit the waves on the Texas gulf coast aren't for schitt most of the time. But come a hurricaine or a good swell and a front with a north wind blow in, it was a race to the beach. Port Isabel had some good waves. California was fun, but Mexico much more-so

[Linked Image]

custon Sako AV in 280 AI

and

a pin-tail Caster from 1975.

At 7' it was almost too short for the waves in Puerto Escondido, (the Mexican Pipeline). But Shang-hai Lil din't mind.

Best,

GWB

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Dang MM now I want a Marlin 336SC 35REM

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The Texas Version of everything,is HILARIOUS!

Spin you in (1) circle in the pasture and you'd need to shoot rescue flares...to find your way home.

Bless your heart...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by redfoxx
Originally Posted by Big Stick
What else can a Texan do?

Laughing!............

HINT, Laughing� I'm going to post that 100 times per day now on this forum so I can rack up 37k+ posts that are absolutely worth [bleep] and then I can be an "Oracle"� just like you limp stick� what can Texans do? Laughing� HINT, here's a big GFY from the Lone Star State.

Tough to Trump the inherent humor of a Whining Clueless Phuqqing Texan...doing her best.

You gals are real "hard chargers". What did you almost "do" today?

Laughing!................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
As always Gee, great photos.. Thanks for the show..

HOLY Phuqqing Schit...that was MEAN!

You will probably get a ticket in the mail from The Moderator,for Baiting,Entrapment,Picking on Retards and just plain MEAN Spirit.

Laughing!...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by m77
I guess in the end we all have a common interest here which is hunting. Each and every guy experience something different when we are out hunting and what ever that experience might be, that is what counts in the end and why we keep doing it. For some of us part of that experience is the equipment we use.

For one guy a plastic Tikka feels great and for another it feels like pastic smile

I have hunted with entry level rifles and the hunts were great, but I do prefer to hunt with a good looking rifle that feels good in my hands.

Pieter

Ergo's are subjective.

Materials and quality of construction,ain't.

Hint...............

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by goalie
Reading this forum, one might get the impression that you simply cannot hunt successfully without a certain brand and model of rifle and scope.

I exclusively muzzle-loaded for deer for about 10 years. When the opportunity presented itself to rifle hunt private land, I decided that a "beater" would be a good idea. 220 bucks for a Mossberg 100-ATR (.270 even), a Weaver Grand Slam 4.75 fixed scope I had lying around, and some Warne rings that were lying around in the same box, and I went hunting.

Somehow, despite the obvious disadvantages when compared to all the "better" rifles, scopes, and calibers out there, after shooting at a dozen or so deer, it has yet to miss a deer, or require two shots on one.

[Linked Image]

How can that possibly be??? Do any of you other guys actually go and kill stuff, grill it, and eat it, without using the forum's "preferred" boutique rifle and scope combo?

Heck, reading this forum, you'd think shoot'n a deer with a pistol would be dang near impossible....

[Linked Image]

One can successfully hunt without any rifle or handgun, so skill of the hunter will always trump any particular brand and model of rifle and scope.

You, spending 10 years with the self-imposed limitations of a muzzle loader, and becoming successful, would make evident that one�s skill as a hunter are such to take maximum advantage of limitations in range, and to make best use of the single shot that is immediately available. Removing those limitations from that same hunter would likely not result in the hunter becoming careless with that first shot. Regardless of weapon, the same skilled hunter would likely continue to make best use of that first shot to make it count.

I recall mornings small game hunting with a grandparent as a child when I was given one shot. If I managed to make it count, the hunt continued. But if I wasted that shot, we�d pack it in. So I learned to make each and every shot count, regardless how clunky the weapon. Decades ago, but as an adult at Quantico, in honor of Carlos Hathcock, his son was given a spot on the team, but he was having difficulty. Sure enough, the technique employed by the Marines were to have him spend all morning setting up for his shot, but he only had one single live cartridge to fire on his target. So in this training, he learned to make it count.

So, when I read your post, I didn�t take it as an example and showcase of a particular rifle and scope, be it cheap or spendy. I take it as an example and showcase of a hunter.

Best smile

Odd...I took it as what a Clueless Whining Phuqqing Kchunt looks like,with her mouth agape oozing drool.

Perhaps that was the intent?!?

It'd be tough to mix it up with ANYTHING else.

Hint.

Laughing!...............

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Having actually ridden in a Yugo in Yugoslavia, I'd not care to do it again.

WFO up the Croatian coast from Dubrovnik while dodging gypsies ain't my idea of a good time. We got there but it was pucker all the way.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That's what really nice about Kansas. All of our roads are wide and flat!..................

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I hear it don't rain much there either.

Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Thus the longterm penchant,for Fine Wood and Rich Bluing....coupled with careful handling.

Sometimes when I'm inside the fence,next to a haybale,I'll just eye-phuqq a rifle and be totally content to just watch it for hours....................

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by Big Stick

Sometimes when I'm inside the fence,next to a haybale,I'll just eye-phuqq a rifle and be totally content to just watch it for hours....................

Pix or it didn't happen.

Just sayin'

GWB

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Can't take a pic,while eye-phuqqing Blued/Walnut inside the fence,next to a haybale.

It's a HUNT,you dumb phuqqer. Wouldn't want to scare anything away!

Laughing!................

Page 12 of 19 1 2 10 11 12 13 14 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (17CalFan, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1badf350, 10gaugemag, 1234, 58 invisible), 2,084 guests, and 1,065 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,108
Posts18,464,281
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.