Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Not long range yet, trying to help a buddy out. He sent me this picture of a 10 shot group by a new shooter he's mentoring. First six shots touching last four are the fliers. Rifle is a .243 Win bench/LR varmint rifle that weighs nearly 13 lbs shooting 115 grain BN coated DTAC, and shots are at 100 yards. I'm thinking new shooter lost concentration after the first six, he thinks it's copper fouling. He asked help with diagnosis but is in MO and I'm in CO.

[Linked Image]

Rifle is a Stevens 200 with McGowen 1:7 twist heavy varmint barrel bedded to HS Precision stock, scope is a 6.5-20X44 Vortex Viper. I know he's using RL22 just don't know the charge. I sold my buddy this rifle and I was shooting .4 MOA at 300 yards for five and had no problems ever ringing MOA steel targets or prairie dogs at more than twice the distance. However, I was shooting 115 grain Berger VLD .130 off lands.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My diagnosis is to load up more and go shoot.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
It's easy to test.

Send the rifle to the range with a different shooter.

If groups remain large, it's not the shooter.

Clean repeat test.

If groups shrink, it just needed cleaning.

This is one of those questions that can only be answered on the range.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Proficiency can't be borrowed nor purchased.

McGowen,HS and Vortex...are far closer to my last choices,than my first,due their relative sanctity...................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Barrel heat

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Both the Indian and the arrow................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Not long range yet, trying to help a buddy out. He sent me this picture of a 10 shot group by a new shooter he's mentoring. First six shots touching last four are the fliers. Rifle is a .243 Win bench/LR varmint rifle that weighs nearly 13 lbs shooting 115 grain BN coated DTAC, and shots are at 100 yards. I'm thinking new shooter lost concentration after the first six, he thinks it's copper fouling. He asked help with diagnosis but is in MO and I'm in CO.

[Linked Image]

Rifle is a Stevens 200 with McGowen 1:7 twist heavy varmint barrel bedded to HS Precision stock, scope is a 6.5-20X44 Vortex Viper. I know he's using RL22 just don't know the charge. I sold my buddy this rifle and I was shooting .4 MOA at 300 yards for five and had no problems ever ringing MOA steel targets or prairie dogs at more than twice the distance. However, I was shooting 115 grain Berger VLD .130 off lands.

"New shooter"...NUFF said...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by deflave
My diagnosis is to load up more and go shoot.

Travis

My thoughts exactly.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Big Stick
Both the Indian and the arrow................

I'll buy Indian but I don't buy the arrow. I get it's not your favorite 105 grain Hornady, but from what I shot of the DTAC in that rifle they were consistent.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
what good is a ten shot group? Trying to get the barrel too hot to touch?

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dude why in the world 10 shot groups. I would never put that much heat in my barrel like that. Is the guy trying to fight a war or something. What in the world is the purpose. I am not surprised at all by the group. Tell him to stop it ain't good on the barrel

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
SMK's are more favorable on paper,than they are Critters. The bullet ain't the weakest link in the chain.

Glass,mounts,barrel and stock are...though in no particular order...............

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
what good is a ten shot group? Trying to get the barrel too hot to touch?

Is not the answer obvious by looking at the picture?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Certainly not................

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
SMK's are more favorable on paper,than they are Critters. The bullet ain't the weakest link in the chain.

Glass,mounts,barrel and stock are...though in no particular order...............

So you're actually talking bow not arrow, I figured. So I'll ask my questions in your order.

Glass, I didn't particularly care for but I didn't hate either. Had a wide plex reticle which was the biggest downfall to me. I would have preferred MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL reticle and adjustments but that's why it went down the road. It did track well and always returned to zero at the yardages I played at. So what's your biggest problem with the Vortex? I'll be trying your super chicken next rifle but I'm more interested in the 3-9 and 3-15 scopes.

Mounts were EGW rail and Warne rings, I know you like Warne so what's wrong with EGW?

McGowen barrel, they had it in stock just had to wait two weeks for them to contour. They throated it for the DTAC bullets just like I asked at 2.80 COAL and it fed great from the magazine even with Berger 115 grain bullets. What's your beef with McGowen and how many have you tried?

Stock was HS Precision PST114 that I picked up used, other than being heavy it was well made and ergos were good from bench and bi-pod for me. So what's the weak link in the stock design that you see?

Keep in mind I never was trying to keep this rifle a light weight, I just used it to bang steel mostly out to 600 yards. I did take it to a prairie dog town for one trip where I shot a coyote and half a dozen pasture poodles with it. Coyote was just north of 650 yards.

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Why not 10 shots? I don't personally shoot 10 shot groups, but don't see a problem if someone wants to. Besides those 10 shots could have taken an hour or more to shoot, my buddy didn't say.

Barrel was free floated with plenty of room, no chance of it making contact with the stock. The action is bedded to stock with no bedding forward of the recoil lug. Oversized squared recoil lug and barrel nut were used as well.

I seriously doubt 10 shots even if in rapid succession are going to do much damage to the barrel.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
To have even a slight chance(which is an illusion),you'll want to start where I started,which is as follows:

"Proficiency can't be borrowed nor purchased.

McGowen,HS and Vortex...are far closer to my last choices,than my first,due their relative sanctity..................."

I mentioned Indian and arrows.

Hint..............

T
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
To have even a slight chance(which is an illusion),you'll want to start where I started,which is as follows:

"Proficiency can't be borrowed nor purchased.

McGowen,HS and Vortex...are far closer to my last choices,than my first,due their relative sanctity..................."

I mentioned Indian and arrows.

Hint..............

So you won't tell me your reasons for disliking barrel, stock, or optics? I don't question your abilities to launch projectiles. Other than not being blessed off by Stick, I'm going to have to go with you've never used any of the stock, optic, and barrel mentioned. So since you've never used them, they don't meet your seal of approval.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy
Dude why in the world 10 shot groups. I would never put that much heat in my barrel like that. Is the guy trying to fight a war or something. What in the world is the purpose. I am not surprised at all by the group. Tell him to stop it ain't good on the barrel

Please regale us with how exactly 10 shots "ain't good on the barrel"? Also I'd be curious how you came up with that "knowledge"?

Thank you.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Originally Posted by cumminscowboy

Couple of things.

1. You don't have to get your barrel hot to shoot a ten shot group.

2. Three shots is a very poor predictor of where the next bullet is going to go.

You'll have to see it for yourself to believe it so take your favored rig and load and shoot a three shot group. Let the barrel cool and shoot another at the same POA so you're stacking groups. Repeat until you have ten shots at the same POA. Report back and let us know if the ten shot group is as small as the 1st three.

I have a prediction. It won't be. Three shots can tell you if you have a poor load but it will not tell you if you have a good one.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

70 members (Akhutr, 10gaugemag, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, AdventureBound, 338reddog, 5 invisible), 1,619 guests, and 796 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,201
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.