Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Who has been thinking of/planning for this for weeks or months?

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have. I like to dove hunt but I look at it as the start of a lot of good things. Other hunting seasons, schools started so less fishing pressure, football and cooler weather.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The last 2 days of cold and rain not looking good for dove. Didn't see any around my place today, and I have sunflowers galore. Thankfully grouse season and early Pacific Flyway goose season also starts Monday.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Went dove scouting three weeks ago- our farm in E. Colorado had tons of doves, feeding in the cut wheat fields and weeds.

Going down again on Sunday to get ready for the big day- hopefully, there will still be lots of birds around.

I'd rather be a free man in my grave, than living as a puppet or a slave....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Going to a local conservation area. There will be nearly as many hunters as there will be doves, and there are going to be a pile of doves. Last time I went when it looked this way we limited out in less than an hour. Wear safety glasses, look down when you hear the pellets hitting grass around you.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm going to hit my doves early Monday, then I'm hi-balling it over to my blue grouse spot for that opener, a 2 3/4 hour one-way.

I just bought some 7 1/2s and 5s for the new 20ga I got this week from Mule Deer.

I like it so far, John! laugh

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Old saying " doves hate wet feet" . Hunting may be poor in S/E Texas. Good luck everyone. Hasbeen

hasbeen
(Better a has been than a never was!)

NRA Patron member
Try to live your life where the preacher doesn't have to lie at your funeral
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I'm going on 3 youth hunts with my 10 year old daughter. They will be each Saturday starting Sep.6. I just bought her a Franchi Affinity compact 20 ga and I'll be shooting my Merkel model 8 12ga. We had a blast last year but she had to shoot a single barrel hammer gun that I would cock for her when we saw some doves headed our way. Not quite the ideal set up but we had a good time.

She has been shooting the Affinity and it fits her. Not too good on clays yet but she is having fun which is the main thing.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Hasn't rained for a month, and opening day of dove season it starts off in a downpour and forecast of an inch to two inches. Never fails. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had a good opener! laugh

Owen is now 11 and hunted doves for the first time with his new shotgun we got from John Barsness, a Weatherby 20ga SA-08 Upland. I like it so well I ordered one for me.

Owen got his NV limit of 10 birds by 10:00 a.m.

He went 10 for a box and a half, about the local average. He went 6 for 9 on the last birds and got the hang of the new shotgun and leading enough.

I scratched out my 10th bird as his 10th was falling to the ground. I was shooting a nice vintage Winchester Mdl 59 Winlite I purchased from John about 5 years ago. It's been an excellent chuckar and grouse gun with its light weight and neutral balance.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

We wore poor 14 Y/O Sadie out. She's ready to go again and can't understand why we're not. smirk (She "pooped" out grin )

[Linked Image]

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Went to the farm early this AM, with my two sons. The early morning flight was crazy, into and out of a burned off wheat field my neighbor has just south of our farm. Oldest son showed up a little late, and is going to hang around for the late afternoon flight to finish his limit. Myself and youngest son limited out in short order!
This has been the best dove opener we have had since I purchased the farm in 2001.

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Season doesn't open until coming Saturday. Extended forecast says 40% chance of rain.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Went to the farm early this AM, with my two sons. The early morning flight was crazy, into and out of a burned off wheat field my neighbor has just south of our farm. Oldest son showed up a little late, and is going to hang around for the late afternoon flight to finish his limit. Myself and youngest son limited out in short order!
This has been the best dove opener we have had since I purchased the farm in 2001.

What's your nearest town?

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Rocky Ford, CO

P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
6 of us limited out Monday morning on my place. I shot my 15 bird limit with 30 shots for one of the best days I have had in a while. Then turned my shotgun over to an exchange student living with us this year. He had never fired a shotgun and managed to kill 12 before we quit for the day. He is a world class tennis player, so I suppose that helped his hand/eye coordination. I expect another limit this evening from my father's place if the storms this morning didn't run all the birds out of the area.

Perry

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Went out last evening to a spot that was fantastic last year.

I saw 8 birds and never fired a shot.

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bighorn
Rocky Ford, CO

Melon capitol of the USA!! laugh

I bought many hundreds of pounds of seeds from Burrell Seed Co. when I was growing melons commercially.

Melon growing country is often good dove country with the mild climates.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
This part of SE Colorado has almost always been great dove country. I grew up about 12 miles from my farm, north of LaJunta, and the dove shooting was always good- I didn't realize how good until I grew up and moved away for a few years.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They were flying in Missouri this evening.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
Drove the back roads covering about 200 miles Wednesday, saw 14 doves, all singles. Looks like another poor season here.

luv2safari- I wonder if John might have done some "weight reduction" on that mdl 59. I grew up shooting mdl 50s and have handled several mdl 59s. They all seemed butt heavy to me.

By the way, congrats to you and the boy.

Last edited by websterparish47; 09/05/14.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
463 members (160user, 1Longbow, 300jimmy, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 257 mag, 48 invisible), 2,022 guests, and 960 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,110
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.