Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Would appreciate some help on identifying this 270 Win Model 70 and a ballpark value.

It appears to be a Supergrade, except the floor plate does not say it. I've owned it since the 70's and received it from an uncle that bought it new, so I know it has not been refinished or parts mixed and matched. Serial number is 155xxx Barrel is marked 270 W.C.F.

The Lyman Challenger scope came off of another rifle that was used much more, so it has more wear, but reminded me of the one on it in the 70's.

Thanks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Wow. Very nice! No clue as to the value. Sorry. But were it mine, the price would be moot! grin

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
You have a head scratcher there. The stock is what is so baffling. The checkering and sling swivels are classic Winchester super grade stuff. However everything else doesn't add up Winchester. Winchester monte carlo combs looked nothing like yours. Winchester didn't have white line spacers on their forend tip either. Lastly from your serial number, your rifle was built in 1950. Winchester did not start using monte carlo stocks for another year and a half to two years.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I forgot to mention a way to determine if it is a super grade. After removing the bolt, take the barreled action from the stock. On the underside of the barrel near the receiver, the barrel is marked with a year date, and if it is a super grade the word "super" should be stamped near the date.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by stuvwxyz
I forgot to mention a way to determine if it is a super grade. After removing the bolt, take the barreled action from the stock. On the underside of the barrel near the receiver, the barrel is marked with a year date, and if it is a super grade the word "super" should be stamped near the date.

Thanks Stu, that was interesting. Took it to the workbench and opened it up.

Wish I would have done that once or twice in the last 40+ years while it was tucked away. Found a bit of rust under the ebony tip, mad , and a few more clues. Thankfully the bore is still crisp from cleaning it twice a year forever. Don't know why I did not pull it out of the stock. Always in a hurry I guess. Lesson learned.

[Linked Image]

The tip was loose, and pulled off and showed obvious glue. Looking at the recoil pad, they appear to be the same color and thickness. So, just guessing that maybe the gun shop, "Nagel's San Antonio" on the recoil pad, added the white spacers when they added the recoil pad? He lived in San Antonio at the time, so that matched up.

Anyway, here are the markings, no "Super." It shows "270 50-" (confirming your answer about the year I'm guessing.) Also on the receiver there are two stamps which appear to be either "T 2" or "P 2." What do these mean?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Here is the cheekpiece on the stock if that helps add any facts.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
My latest GUESS is close to your guess. However I believe the stock to be a late model super grade stock installed on an early model 70 action. I have seen this type of comb on late model super grades. Since Winchester didn't build this type of stock till 2 years after the barreled receiver was made my only guess would be your uncle bought the stock after 1960 and had the recoil pad an spacer installed. Either way a nice looking rifle with family history.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
My latest GUESS is close to your guess. However I believe the stock to be a late model super grade stock installed on an early model 70 action. I have seen this type of comb on late model super grades. Since Winchester didn't build this type of stock till 2 years after the barreled receiver was made my only guess would be your uncle bought the stock after 1960 and had the recoil pad an spacer installed. Either way a nice looking rifle with family history.

That would be my guess. You are hitting the nail on the head. I'd also offer this: The barreled action is not supergrade.. I probably don't even have to say this, since it is pretty obvious. The modifications to the stock, hurt the value greatly. However, it is a nice rifle. I'd value it at around $1,150.00, maybe $1,250.00 tops.. If it were in my family, I don't think I'd want to sell it though..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
I think if jeffbird would remove the white line spacer and reglue the tip, remove the ventilated recoil pad and install a Winchester solid red pad, this would go a long way to restoring the stock to near Winchester standards. Great looking rifle.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I think if jeffbird would remove the white line spacer and reglue the tip, remove the ventilated recoil pad and install a Winchester solid red pad, this would go a long way to restoring the stock to near Winchester standards. Great looking rifle.

Not really since the original stock had a steel butt plate.. However, the cool thing is the stock is from a late 1950 to early '51 rifle..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thank you for the help guys.

Wonderfully balanced rifle, not too heavy, and not too light.

I will glue the tip back on and leave it as is.

The scope has to go though.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It's a very nice rifle. I'd probably keep it just as is and use it and make your uncle proud...Well, I'd probably upgrade the glass too. A VX3 3.5-10x40 sitting in some low DD's would look and work great...

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Nice looking rifle jeff, I would switch the buttpad and scope and hunt with it.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

616 members (01Foreman400, 160user, 2500HD, 204guy, 257 roberts, 257Bob, 56 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,193 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,637
Posts18,455,290
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.