Print Thread
Hop To
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
GB1

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Arrows are deadly! Looked to me like he shot just in front of the shoulder blade. Like to know what broadhead he used.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
I only see those kind of bulls in my dreams.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I doubt I could stand there that quiet for that long with those bulls coming in so close. Even that 5x would have had me out of breath from all the adrenaline pumping. The guy threaded a tough shot. He obviously knows his stuff. I'd have shot the 5x and had to change my pants before I could start packing. I'm not a big game bowhunter, obviously.

Fun vid, but a lot of anti-hunting bs in the comments. I suppose there are provocateurs whose job is to post that crap all day.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I'm thinking a lot of the fear of connecting with a shoulder shot stems from many years ago with recurves or longbows and old style long leading tip blades which did not have a chisel point and often resulted in tips curling in bone.

http://www.realtree.com/brow-tines-and-backstrap/shot-angles-shoulder-blades-arrows

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
450-grs plus arrow, a cut on contact broadhead, bring that shoulder on! Not where I aim but stuff happens. 9-days till i'm in elk camp...... I use Magnus or G5 and have not lost one yet.

Good Shooting!
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Two years ago I messed up my shot and stuck it in the shoulder and hit bone. I was shooting a 70# bow with arrows close to 400gr total weight. It (arrow)fell out in about 20 yards. I didn't see exactly where I hit him so was expecting him to go down. He was done bleeding within 400 yards. I saw him a month later on the last day of rifle moving along just fine.

I wouldn't try a "shoulder" shot op purpose even with modern equipment.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Punching a scapula in the right area wouldn't be too difficult, but if I shoot one there that means I likely shanked my shot. I took almost the exact same angle shot on the last buck I took, and it worked great but its not what I'd have chosen,given a choice. On elk and moose I want nothing to do with bone when flinging arrows. I'll take that angle at 20 yards and under, but would much prefer broadside or quartered away.

Going to try the Exodus broadheads this year, supposed to be real penetrators.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Looks like he threaded it btwn the front of the shoulder right at the very top of the brisket, right where the chest hair goes from dark chocolate to brown� that's a pretty high percentage shot, for an experienced archer at least. I've seen first hand a couple put down quickly over the years with that same shot� sometimes you've gotta take the shot you're given, within reason of course. I'd rather have that than an extreme quartering away, where you can't get the arrow to clear the azz and thread it in behind the back ribs. They don't always walk in and sit on your face (e.g.: broadside shots)�

Foxx

God Bless America!
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thanks for the video, it gets me excited to head up for archery next week. You certainly wouldn't walk around with that cows head in Colorado on public land during muzzleloading or rifle season, you would end up looking like Swiss Cheese.

I also use a decoy on private land, but it is a Montana decoy.

Last edited by TAGLARRY; 09/02/14.
IC B3

E
eyeball Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
E
This single lunged bull was found 100 yards away.

X
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
X
Any idea why such poor penetration? If they found it in 100 yards I'm thinkin there must have been more damage than just one lung hit.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
No shoulder blade on that shot....impact was in front of shoulder blade.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (1234, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 2,610 guests, and 1,237 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,689
Posts18,456,528
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.